Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounge Access, Different Record - Same day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond

Hi, assuming the Flagship lounges reopen, I have the following query asking if anyone has any experience or knowledge with the following scenario:

Flying international into JFK, on a ticket that terminates there (On AA), then a different ticket also on AA leaving from JFK the same day.

Would the Flagship lounge allow access in that scenario or am I better off just trying to change the ticket to be all together?
Old May 12, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You should be allowed access on separate tickets, as long as they are both OneWorld, and the connecting flight is the same day (or before 6AM the next day).
Old May 12, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I've done this at MIA before.
Old May 12, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yep separate tickets don't matter for lounge access purposes, but obviously hold on to your qualifying boarding pass to show for entry.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Absolutely fine. Just have both boarding passes ready to show, as the qualifying international segment might not pop up automatically at the front desk if all you show is the onward flight pass.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DMPHL
You should be allowed access on separate tickets, as long as they are both OneWorld, and the connecting flight is the same day (or before 6AM the next day).
If the arriving flight is eligible, it shouldn't matter whether the ongoing one is OW?
Old May 12, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I'd be shocked if the FLs re-open in 2021.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'd be shocked if the FLs re-open in 2021.
Regrettably I agree here, and am very cautiously optimistic....to put it very optimistically...
Old May 12, 2021, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
If the arriving flight is eligible, it shouldn't matter whether the ongoing one is OW?
I believe for access based on class of service, you are correct. But if in economy or premium economy and gaining access based on Plat, PlatPro, or EXP status, I believe you would need to be departing on a OW flight.
Old May 12, 2021, 6:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I'm confused again. Don't you get access into an arrival lounge to shower etc. based on tan international flight and status?
or is this a case where only class of service qualifies you?
Old May 12, 2021, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I'm confused again. Don't you get access into an arrival lounge to shower etc. based on tan international flight and status?
or is this a case where only class of service qualifies you?
OP is talking about Flagship Lounges, which are post-security, so not really an "Arrival Lounge." If you are terminating on AA at JFK and don't have another flight, you wouldn't be able to access anyway.

What I'm saying—and this may be incorrect in the real world—is that based on the AA website, it appears that if you qualify for access based on class of service (F or J) on an arriving qualifying international flight, the language doesn't specifically bar you from access if connecting on another carrier. If that is the case (and, again, it may not be) you have to be ticketed on some carrier in order to get past security. So if you're terminating you won't be able to access it, and if you are connecting on another airline, you'd have to enter security, leave T8, and then go through security again. So, kind of moot.

If you are flying in Economy, and you are a OW Elite, you have to be connecting to another OW carrier to gain access based on status. E.g. EXP in Y on LHR-JFK would qualify for access if connecting to CVG on AA. If flying LHR-JFK on AA and connecting somewhere on B6, no dice.
That said, premium customers (only those flying in F or J) on the A321T (JFK-LAX/SFO/SNA, BOS-LAX) or on the 77W (MIA-LAX) have access on arrival and departure.

Last edited by DMPHL; May 12, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Old May 12, 2021, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The onward connecting flight must also be oneworld to access any lounges via status or class of service during the connection.

So if you were in F/J or had Emerald/Sapphire and flew say LHR-ORD on AA connecting to ORD-LAX on UA there would be no lounge access at ORD because the onward flight isn't on a oneworld carrier.

*the exception is any lounges designated as an arrivals lounge like LHR
Old May 12, 2021, 6:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
DMPHL

Thanks I forgot about the damn security
Old May 12, 2021, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The onward connecting flight must also be oneworld to access any lounges via status or class of service during the connection.
I remember having this particular convo with someone on here before, since the language on the AA website is different for class of service vs. elite status. For class of service, it just says "qualifying same day" international flight. For elite status, it specifically says, "connecting or departing." Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, and I'm sure you would have different enforcement or allowance based on what agent you talk to or what CSR you ask.
Old May 12, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I remember having this particular convo with someone on here before, since the language on the AA website is different for class of service vs. elite status. For class of service, it just says "qualifying same day" international flight. For elite status, it specifically says, "connecting or departing." Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, and I'm sure you would have different enforcement or allowance based on what agent you talk to or what CSR you ask.
It's just one of one many things on aa.com where the language isn't clear and/or is misleading.

Oneworld lounge access is based on the departing flight, if you're not departing on a oneworld flight then no lounge access regardless of your status or class of service on the arriving flight.
DMPHL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.