Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

oneworld emerald is better than EXP (opinion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist

I have come to a conclusion, Oneworld emerald (JV) not from AA is better than EXP

Oneworld emeralds get access to flagship lounges on every flight (EXP only get access on long haul international)
oneworld emeralds get access to flagship first checkin on every flight (EXP only get access on long haul international)
Oneworld emeralds get Free drink and snack in economy (same as EXP)
Oneworld emeralds get access to main cabin extra (same as EXP)
Oneworld emeralds get routed to the EXP desk (same as EXP)

The only benefits of EXP are upgrades however pre covid upgrades were getting difficult, both comp and SWU. The one world emerald benefits in my opinion make up for upgrades considering you earn far more valuable miles for less.
Let me know what y'all think.

Last edited by united 1k flyer; May 11, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I agree with most of the points, especially regarding Flagship Lounges... it just seems too generous for non-AA OWE/OWS to get them on every AA flight, intl or not.

On the last few points though... Does non-AA OWEs actually get routed to the EXP desk? How do they tell? By checking the PNRs? I remembered AA EXP line always asks me for my AAdv# if I am not calling from a known phone number.

Also, I think AA miles are actually quite valuable among OW. AY has a laughably high award chart, and BA awards are useless for long-haul travel (or flights with connections). JAL does have a better award chart, but their miles are also much, much harder to come by. Most non-full-fare Coach tickets only earn 75% or 50%. And that's probably the same with BA. Unless you go out of your way to do a TP run, most coach tickets will earn next to nothing. I guess BA OWE might be cheaper to earn via TP runs, but to earn by normal flying, I think the difficulty is about the same.

Don't forget same-day confirmed changes!
Old May 11, 2021, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Oneworld emeralds earn more valuable miles ( Japan airlines miles and pretty much any one world airline are far more valuable than AA miles)
Oneworld emerald is easier to earn than EXP ( BA gold is easier to earn, no question, and cheaper)
These 2 points are entirely subjective.
GlobalMatt and Antarius like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
I agree with most of the points, especially regarding Flagship Lounges... it just seems too generous for non-AA OWE/OWS to get them on every AA flight, intl or not.

On the last few points though... Does non-AA OWEs actually get routed to the EXP desk? How do they tell? By checking the PNRs? I remembered AA EXP line always asks me for my AAdv# if I am not calling from a known phone number.

Also, I think AA miles are actually quite valuable among OW. AY has a laughably high award chart, and BA awards are useless for long-haul travel (or flights with connections). JAL does have a better award chart, but their miles are also much, much harder to come by. Most non-full-fare Coach tickets only earn 75% or 50%. And that's probably the same with BA. Unless you go out of your way to do a TP run, most coach tickets will earn next to nothing. I guess BA OWE might be cheaper to earn via TP runs, but to earn by normal flying, I think the difficulty is about the same.

Don't forget same-day confirmed changes!
yes one world emeralds do get routed to the executive platinum desk if you have your FF number in a future reservation. Then when you call and give your reservation it will send you to the appropriate area. GGLs even get routed to the CK desk. You made some good points about the value of miles. However I do believe BA gold is way easier to earn than EXP a couple long haul F or J flights connecting can get you close.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
These 2 points are entirely subjective.
I actually agree and I'm gonna take them out cause I think it ruins the point of the conversation.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Don’t EXPs have access to Flagship First check-in regardless of the actual flight?

I vaguely recalling arriving at LAX and MIA and was able to check in at Flagship First for my flights when checking a bag.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Don’t EXPs have access to Flagship First check-in regardless of the actual flight?

I vaguely recalling arriving at LAX and MIA and was able to check in at Flagship First for my flights when checking a bag.
For international flights only if I recall
Old May 11, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I disagree, not because the issue raised. Each FFP has its own characteristics. Just because it looks like on one end, it does not make it true.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have come to a conclusion, Oneworld emerald (JV) not from AA is better than EXP
<snip>
<snip>.
Not true. MCE was removed as OW benefit. Now is only available to JV partners and AS
BA forum thread--->AA removes free MCE seating perk for BA elites [Update : now restored]

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33073612-post19.html
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp

Elite member access

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
  • oneworld® Sapphire and Emerald members with elite status on British Airways, Iberia, Finnair or Japan Airlines
All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage® Gold and oneworld® Ruby members*

Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available.

*oneworld® Ruby members with elite status on British Airways, Iberia, Finnair or Japan Airlines
I see no reason why AS elites won't get MCE after 3/31. Remember, AS elites are supposed to get complimentary F upgrades too(not sure how that would work)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33074623-post21.html
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The OW Emerald and Sapphire members listed as eligible for MCE, BA, IB, AY, and JL, are currently all in joint business relationships with AA (BA, IB, AY - Atlantic joint business; JL - Pacific joint business). These four airlines are a small subset of the OW alliance. Considering that AS says that elites won't receive access to premium seating on AA until "Summer 2021" I guess I am doubtful that we will have access to MCE on 3/31.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Oneworld emeralds get access to flagship lounges on every flight (EXP only get access on long haul international)
oneworld emeralds get access to flagship first checkin on every flight (EXP only get access on long haul international)
Oneworld emeralds get Free drink and snack in economy (same as EXP)
Oneworld emeralds get routed to the EXP desk (same as EXP)

The only benefits of EXP are upgrades however pre covid upgrades were getting difficult, both comp and SWU. The one world emerald benefits in my opinion make up for upgrades considering you earn far more valuable miles for less.
Let me know what y'all think.
I think it is up to people to decide what is best for them. You've really only stated 2 ways in which Non-EXP OWE is better than being an EXP OWE, and flagship lounges and flagship checkin are in limited locations
I would consider the Admiral's Club access more valuable than the few FLs, and you didn't even mention it. What about OWE qualification? Is it possible on most OWE airlines to earn OWE status without travel on that airline? When I was EXP, I made very few flights on foreign carriers.

Last edited by mvoight; May 11, 2021 at 2:40 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
<snip>
What about OWE qualification? Is it possible on most OWE airlines to earn OWE status without travel on that airline? When I was EXP, I made very few flights on foreign carriers.
BA, QF & AS have "own airline flights" requirement for status. Maybe others
AA does not have a "own airline flights" requirement for status. Used to.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:58 pm

I have wondered about this in the past, but like everything, it depends on your specific circumstances. If you don't originate in the 4 airports that offer Flagship First check-in, that is not too useful. If most of your flights are international, then domestic F lounge access is less important. Sure BA may be easier to get with long hauls in paid F or J, but that is a pretty small group of people who fly paid F and J INT, and still have a high domestic travel schedule. I have never found the argument compelling for myself because of these circumstances.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
thats why I put (JV)one world emerald
Old May 11, 2021, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by asnovici
For international flights only if I recall
Not all int'l routes. For example MEX yes, CUN no. Many other short to mid-haul int'l destinations get the same treatment. We can use FF checkin and Flagship on Transcons JFK-LAX for example though. Benefit is diminished w the Flagship lounges still closed. I think it can be argued some OWE def get a better deal on AA than EXP do, but the SWU are too valuable to me.
asnovici and Zacnlinc like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747-800i
Not all int'l routes. For example MEX yes, CUN no. Many other short to mid-haul int'l destinations get the same treatment. We can use FF checkin and Flagship on Transcons JFK-LAX for example though. Benefit is diminished w the Flagship lounges still closed. I think it can be argued some OWE def get a better deal on AA than EXP do, but the SWU are too valuable to me.
I don’t think as EXP get flagship lounge access or checkin on transcon routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.