Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Reward Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Chase Reward Flight Change

I booked a round trip domestic flight via Chase ultimate rewards but now want to make a change to one of the legs. Im being told the only way to do this is to cancel and rebook a new ticket which is now 2X from where I originally booked because the outbound flight is now full. AA is telling me there is no way to change one leg of a roundtrip. Is this true, I was under the assumption I could change one leg but keep the other in place?
Old May 10, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You are not wrong. But it all depends. Bottom line - booking with UR complicates things.
355F1 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Even if you want to make a change to the return segment and leave the outbound alone, if you make this change prior to flying any portion of the ticket, then it reprices the entire ticket.

The traditional wisdom for such a scenario would be to fly the outbound, then change the return, though the fact that you booked through Chase may complicate or preclude this.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
In this case it doesn't matter much whether it was booked through Chase or AA, any changes before will be treated the same and result in repricing the whole thing as mentioned above.

If you are changing the return segments, how much does does new one-way cost for the new return dates? If this is cheaper, you could always just buy a new one-way, then cancel your original return once you fly the outbound.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think changing after I arrive will be the best option. @JJUeffrey aren't tickets on AA purchased as two segments even if they are round trip total? I have a price for the outbound ticket and a price for the inbound ticket, they dont give me one price total for the journey...
Old May 10, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by precision80
Thanks for the replies. I think changing after I arrive will be the best option. @JJUeffrey aren't tickets on AA purchased as two segments even if they are round trip total? I have a price for the outbound ticket and a price for the inbound ticket, they dont give me one price total for the journey...
That entirely depends on the city pair and fares filed. In some instances a round trip fare is exactly that, while in other instances it could be two one-way fares combined on the same ticket/PNR.

But in any event, if both outbound and return are on the same PNR (regardless of whether it's a roundtrip fare or one-ways), then to make any changes before departure require the entire itinerary to be repriced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.