Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any aircraft with underseat storage ahead of Y bulkhead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

My recollection of AA aircraft is that there is usually a solid wall separating Y from the cabin in front, which is usually F or J but now might be PE. Are there any exceptions to this where the separation might just be a curtain, allowing the Y bulkhead occupant to store belongings under the seat in front? If so, which aircraft?

Thanks....
Old May 9, 2021, 3:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The 738 and 737Max, retrofitted (Oasis) A321, A321 neo and the E170/175.
KBMIFlyer and cmd320 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Add the CRJ 700 and CRJ 900 to the above list
Old May 9, 2021, 3:50 pm

I remember on the old US Shuttle, seeing the cabin crew put their luggage behind the last row of F, so that the first row of E could not put their luggage there! But, maybe AA tells their cabin crew not to do that?
Old May 9, 2021, 4:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I remember on the old US Shuttle, seeing the cabin crew put their luggage behind the last row of F, so that the first row of E could not put their luggage there! But, maybe AA tells their cabin crew not to do that?
If I recall correctly, the old US Shuttle planes had a bulkhead with a cutout at the bottom, whereas the planes mentioned above don’t have any bulkhead, so the F seat in front must be used as foot space for the bulkhead Y passengers.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:44 am

787-8 with new business class config (all forward facing biz seats) has under seat storage in first row of Y. No way to tell ahead of the flight if you are in this config
777-200 first row of Y also has a cut out in bulkhead.
same on 777-300
Old May 10, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
My recollection of AA aircraft is that there is usually a solid wall separating Y from the cabin in front, which is usually F or J but now might be PE. Are there any exceptions to this where the separation might just be a curtain, allowing the Y bulkhead occupant to store belongings under the seat in front? If so, which aircraft?

Thanks....
Unfortunately, it's rapidly becoming the norm for there to be no bulkhead at all between J and Y. As noted, on the majority of 737s there's little more than a small piece of plastic hanging from the overhead bins to denote where F stops and Y begins, no real divider. On these aircraft it's easy to place items under the F seats ahead.

With that said, it's pretty much impossible to know what aircraft you'll be on at this point until it arrives at the gate, so it's a roll of the dice really.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The MD-80s used to have a solid wall between F and Y but if you were in 7B or 7D you could generally access the space under the aisle seats in the last row of F. Occasionally you would get an FA who would tell you no, but I used it all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.