MIA to SFO in Business

Old May 8, 21, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
MIA to SFO in Business

So looking at doing a PCH trip this coming October and already have the LAX-MIA on the 77W booked and upgraded to FS Business on the return with Business Extra but as much as I want to do a MIA-LAX for the lie flat seat, my other half won't let me and wants to book MIA-SFO directly. So my question is as follows. Having just been spoiled on 777s what can I expect on the MIA-SFO route in either a 321 or 738 as far as amenities? Yes I know those are not lie flat but will there be pillow and blanket? amenity kit? meal service? trying to decide if it's worth the extra $400 to buy up front from the get.
Old May 8, 21, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I would fly MIA-LAX in the 777 and then LAX to SFO

But if you want nonstop, then JetBlue Mint FLL to SFO is the way to go
Old May 8, 21, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
I think it will all depend on where the airlines are in returning service post COVID. My understanding is that right now the only routes that get a hot meal, amenity kit, and proper bedding are MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX, and JFK-SFO. I would assume that by October meals have returned in some shape/fashion but AA seems to insinuate that it may look like a tapas style tray rather than the traditional hot meal, but who knows.

If I recall correctly, I believe MIA-SEA pre COVID got the proper bedding due to the length but not the amenity kit. Unsure if MIA-SFO was in the same boat. I would say the safe bet right now if you are weighing whether to spend the $400 is to assume you are spending that solely on the seat and not the soft product amenities.
miadukes likes this.
Old May 8, 21, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
So looking at doing a PCH trip this coming October and already have the LAX-MIA on the 77W booked and upgraded to FS Business on the return with Business Extra but as much as I want to do a MIA-LAX for the lie flat seat, my other half won't let me and wants to book MIA-SFO directly. So my question is as follows. Having just been spoiled on 777s what can I expect on the MIA-SFO route in either a 321 or 738 as far as amenities? Yes I know those are not lie flat but will there be pillow and blanket? amenity kit? meal service? trying to decide if it's worth the extra $400 to buy up front from the get.
MIA-SFO is nothing special right now - just regular COVID-era domestic catering. Fortunately, the non-premium transcons have recently been upgraded to a slightly enhanced boxed meal. Expect just a chilled boxed meal with sandwhich, small side salad, and pre-packaged dessert (check the AA COVID inflight food thread for photos). Still inadequate, IMO, for a 6+ hr flight. No amenity kit and I probably wouldn't expect any blankets/pillows either.

Stick with the 77W and take the LAX connection, if you ask me. Just having a lie-flat seat justifies the extra travel time in my opinion. Of course, a lot can change between now and October and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some form of hot meal service in non-Flagship transcon F by that point.

-FlyerBeek
Antarius and miadukes like this.
Old May 8, 21, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the answers, I get a kick out of the amenity kit so just wanted to check, I was looking at a couple of options but not sure if the extra travel time and hassle for a hot meal, kit and bedding are actually worth it. I was looking at it as 400 for the seat but was hoping something else would kinda tip it for me LOL I know things can change but by the looks of it it's just a regular long route.
nc203 likes this.
Old May 9, 21, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Alright guys me again, so we decided to hold the first class ticket today since it was still $543. This afternoon, i just keep thinking about what better ways to make this trip with little disruption like the extra flight so im sitting here and decided to see how much a miles award ticket costs and we find out route for 26k miles and wow that's not bad right, better than $543.

*Note: I am trying to get platinum this year after being gold for a few years, i pay for all my own travel and never really splurge on first so coming up with $6k is not easy, but this year with the requirements lower and im spoiled by the blocked middle seats during the pandemic, we have been booking mostly first so I decided I want to try to get Platinum this year.

Anyway note aside, I check out trip and see that they have web special for 26.5k miles MIA-SFO. I then get curious and see hmmmm, maybe i can do MIA-LAX-SFO with a night layover right.... and lo and behold I find the MIA-LAX on 772 and then on to SFO in the morning for 17.5K miles in BUSINESS!!!!

Needless to say that I cancelled the paid ticket hold am holding that award flight to book in a couple days. And yes, i just like to hold first to think things thru lol since it is a pain to fly into LAX and then take another plane just to get a better seat lol (i never thought id turn out this way LOL LOL LOL)

thanks guys, for keeping it in my head to take the better plane route and then short hop to SFO. can't believe the price. my only thing is i hope this route stays all 777 thru October otherwise its a waste of time lol

eta: now i need to find the closest fastest hotel to get to LAX since we only have about a 6-7 hours layover. lol
FlyingEgghead and Kacee like this.

Last edited by miadukes; May 9, 21 at 3:59 pm
Old May 9, 21, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
eta: now i need to find the closest fastest hotel to get to LAX since we only have about a 6-7 hours layover. lol
The Hyatt Regency is closest. Sheraton Gateway is also very close. Note that LAX is a total mess right now with all the construction, though T4 is not directly impacted.
miadukes likes this.
Old May 9, 21, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The Hyatt Regency is closest. Sheraton Gateway is also very close. Note that LAX is a total mess right now with all the construction, though T4 is not directly impacted.
Thanks yes! I googled and that came up and already made my reservation. I despise LAX btw lol but we were just there last weekend and yeah traffic was a bit of a mess. Apparently it's the only hotel that has 24/7 shuttle so yeah, we are booked there. October is a long way and we have a few trips planned before this but i'm still super excited about this trip lol
Kacee likes this.
Old May 9, 21, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Explat / Airpass
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
Still inadequate, IMO, for a 6+ hr flight. No amenity kit and I probably wouldn't expect any blankets/pillows either.
I flew MIA-SFO in early April and they had the full international duvets loaded on seats (didn't clear the upgrade so can't give additional deetail and can't remember whether there were pillows)
miadukes and Zacnlinc like this.
Old May 9, 21, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by MGW2000 View Post
I flew MIA-SFO in early April and they had the full international duvets loaded on seats (didn't clear the upgrade so can't give additional deetail and can't remember whether there were pillows)

true: took the red-eye outbound myself and recall having a boxed meal too.

I too was on the fence about going the same route as the OP. But connecting in MIA was ideal and it wasn’t worth waiting a day to get to final destination just to ride the 77W.
Old May 9, 21, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
true: took the red-eye outbound myself and recall having a boxed meal too.

I too was on the fence about going the same route as the OP. But connecting in MIA was ideal and it wasn’t worth waiting a day to get to final destination just to ride the 77W.
I've very much debated this but figured we are not really wasting any time so to speak. Our original plans have us leaving on the last flight to sfo at 947pm landing at almost 1am. we still wouldn't pick up a car until 8am and spend the night at the grand hyatt sfo. this way we are leaving at 9pm, overnighting in lax hyatt and flying to sfo on the first flight at 6am landing at 7:25. time wise, seems the same.

i am still just holding the award booking since we have 5 days. The only reason i have pause is if they decided to yank the 772 from this route and we end up in regular business seats on 738 or 321, then we might have well have done SFO, so that is my only hesitation. for that, i'd rather just fly right to sfo.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
I've very much debated this but figured we are not really wasting any time so to speak. Our original plans have us leaving on the last flight to sfo at 947pm landing at almost 1am. we still wouldn't pick up a car until 8am and spend the night at the grand hyatt sfo. this way we are leaving at 9pm, overnighting in lax hyatt and flying to sfo on the first flight at 6am landing at 7:25. time wise, seems the same.

i am still just holding the award booking since we have 5 days. The only reason i have pause is if they decided to yank the 772 from this route and we end up in regular business seats on 738 or 321, then we might have well have done SFO, so that is my only hesitation. for that, i'd rather just fly right to sfo.

Understable indeed... I get it completely... I'm just a little "sour" with the 777W (in particular)/772 timing of flights for the MIA-LAX runs for a couple of my latest runs.

For example, a few months ago I did SFO-LAX-MIA-GIG-MIA-LAX-SFO: The timing for the outbound was great.

I arrived in MIA an hour before my friends arrived from PHL and EWR before we dashed off to GIG. However, on the return home, they returned home before I even left MIA as I opted to take 77W in the afternoon and the timing for me to be on the 77W fight in the AM was too close. And it just added salt to the injury was the waiting in LA. Waited for 3 hrs and the flight was delayed. I could have driven to SFO by the time we arrived
Old May 10, 21, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks yes! I googled and that came up and already made my reservation. I despise LAX btw lol but we were just there last weekend and yeah traffic was a bit of a mess. Apparently it's the only hotel that has 24/7 shuttle so yeah, we are booked there. October is a long way and we have a few trips planned before this but i'm still super excited about this trip lol
No it is not, most full service hotel still have shuttle 24/7 at LAX, that include Hilton LAX, these hotels have airline crews stay there so it is necessary to provide 24/7 shuttle
Old May 10, 21, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
Understable indeed... I get it completely... I'm just a little "sour" with the 777W (in particular)/772 timing of flights for the MIA-LAX runs for a couple of my latest runs.

For example, a few months ago I did SFO-LAX-MIA-GIG-MIA-LAX-SFO: The timing for the outbound was great.

I arrived in MIA an hour before my friends arrived from PHL and EWR before we dashed off to GIG. However, on the return home, they returned home before I even left MIA as I opted to take 77W in the afternoon and the timing for me to be on the 77W fight in the AM was too close. And it just added salt to the injury was the waiting in LA. Waited for 3 hrs and the flight was delayed. I could have driven to SFO by the time we arrived
for me the late flights are great cuz i can get a whole day in at work and then fly out.
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
No it is not, most full service hotel still have shuttle 24/7 at LAX, that include Hilton LAX, these hotels have airline crews stay there so it is necessary to provide 24/7 shuttle
that will teach me to believe what the internet says LOL either way, we like hyatt and it did seeem to be the closest but landing late that line sold me!! lol the power off false marketing, good to know tho for future trips

Search this Thread
Search Engine: