Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dls25
Unless it was going to delay the flight, they should have downgraded the non-revs.
They never should have been upgraded in the first place.

And I’d argue that the GA should have taken the extra time to fix their screw-up, regardless of potential delay. How long would that have taken...a couple minutes?
Spiff, MSPeconomist, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
So I’m curious... assuming no other special
compensation, is there an actual rule to the status of the partially used SWU’s? And if they are returned, what is the life of them? I’m sure they were nearing expiration, and, SWU or not, most people can’t just schedule another Hawaii trip right away or even in within a year.
Old May 15, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by econ
They never should have been upgraded in the first place.

And I’d argue that the GA should have taken the extra time to fix their screw-up, regardless of potential delay. How long would that have taken...a couple minutes?
Agreed, find it hard to believe there were no other elites on the flight even if they didn't request and upgrade.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If I were in this situation, I wouldn't have boarded the flight at all ("call a supervisor"), but I know different people have different priorities.
Possible tangent here, but does the "call a supervisor" method work in situations at the gate? Would they actually call one? I nearly asked for that at T-40m when I was told stickers went only up to PE, but didn't want to make a stink, and (wrongly) assumed CR would fix it in post. Will probably do that going forward if it's effective.
Old May 16, 2021, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by meechyathere
Possible tangent here, but does the "call a supervisor" method work in situations at the gate? Would they actually call one? I nearly asked for that at T-40m when I was told stickers went only up to PE, but didn't want to make a stink, and (wrongly) assumed CR would fix it in post. Will probably do that going forward if it's effective.
No. I'm sure the GA would have been happy to call a supervisor... after the flight had been closed out and pushed back. Just because you ask for a supervisor doesn't mean they're going to stop everything until a supervisor shows up. If the OP had gone down this route, they almost certainly would've been left in CLT.

-FlyerBeek
MSPeconomist and meechyathere like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Agreed, find it hard to believe there were no other elites on the flight even if they didn't request and upgrade.
The OP said the upgrade list was empty. If it was empty and the OP did no show, then the Nonrevs were correctly next in line for the seats. AA doesn't cabin roll plat and gold members who haven't requested upgrades unless there is an oversell in Y.

​​
Old May 16, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by meechyathere
Wait, so you used stickers, ended up in PE and then didn't get them back?
Old May 16, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Antarius
The OP said the upgrade list was empty. If it was empty and the OP did no show, then the Nonrevs were correctly next in line for the seats. AA doesn't cabin roll plat and gold members who haven't requested upgrades unless there is an oversell in Y.

​​
Ah, I assumed that they might bump a few plat and gold if there were empty seats and not an oversell situation. Good to know.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Wait, so you used stickers, ended up in PE and then didn't get them back?
I did eventually get em back, but it took Gary writing a piece on it. (thread on that sitch here).

But our chance at the upgrade was shot (and given to a nonrev.) It was a split second-decision between keeping quiet and taking PE, or raising a ruckus / going and finding a supervisor, just for the benefit of either getting in J all riled up, or offloading and going the next morning (which would have likely cleared as it was at C4). Like the OP, we chose peace and took PE that day.

Since we had time on our side, I did call reservations as we boarded hoping maybe they could step in, but was given the 4hr wait! (which there's yet another thread on!)
FlyerBeek and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by aacar
Big thanks to Gary for bringing attention to this and reaching out to AA. I haven't heard anything yet, but will keep this thread updated.
Still nothing from AA?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Any update from OP? Its sad I've been conditioned to the point to arriving like 30 min ahead of boarding to make sure this doesn't happen to us.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:12 am

Same! In fact one time, at a gate at CLT that lacked a priority lane (and everyone already in one giant line), without even thinking about it I went to the counter and confirmed that our upgrades wouldn't be dropped!
MSPeconomist and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:10 pm

Big thanks to Gary for bringing attention to this and reaching out to AA. I haven't heard anything yet, but will keep this thread updated.
Any update?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:29 pm

I see you're around, posting in other threads the last several months. Should I assume you still haven't heard anything on this?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I see you're around, posting in other threads the last several months. Should I assume you still haven't heard anything on this?
Sorry, totally forgot to update this thread (not sure how I missed the last couple posts)! I did hear from AA and come to a resolution (though not particularly generous) - here goes:

I received a call from someone at Customer Relations, who initially offered 15,000 miles/pp as a "gesture of goodwill," with no mention of returning the SWUs. While he apologized for the inconvenience, he also didn't really seem to grasp what had happened, stating that seat assignments can change and class of service wasn't guaranteed . I explained the situation once again and stressed that 15k miles was woefully inadequate (I've gotten as much in the past for inop wifi); he said he would discuss with his team.

He called me back a few days later, and in addition to the 15k miles/pp, offered half of the value of the upgrades back, since they were "used" from DTW-CLT . One correction to my original post: I had actually applied 2 SWUs plus a mileage upgrade (15k + $175) for the third companion, not 3 SWUs as I had recollected. So, he offered to reinstate 1 SWU out of the two and refund the $175 co-pay for the mileage upgrade. I obviously explained that the CLT-HNL leg comprised >90% of the total distance upgraded, but he wouldn't budge and stated that "they" view all segments equally. And he still refused to admit that the GAs did anything wrong, insisting that seat assignments are subject to change per the CoC. I expressed my dissatisfaction and he (very reluctantly) agreed to follow-up again with the "leadership team."

The next week, he contacted me again and agreed to reinstate the second SWU (but, for some reason, still not the mileage portion of the miles + copay upgrade). He made it quite clear that this was the most they would offer, so I accepted. In the end, after factoring in the cost of the upgrades, the net compensation was 15,000 miles x 3 (for 4 passengers); IMO that's insufficient for a downgrade on a 10 hour flight, but I guess I shouldn't have expected more from AA and decided to move on. I was also (naively, it seems) hoping that they would actually acknowledge the GA's mistake rather than framing the incident as an inconvenience permissible within the bounds of the CoC - oh well.

Sadly, I wasn't given any indication that such an incident won't, or even shouldn't, occur again in the future. I've actually experienced a strange sort of PTSD before my subsequent AA flights this year, and nowadays am usually the first to board!
_kurt and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.