Wiki Posts
Search

2 Very Different A321s

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2021, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Diamond and Ambassador
2 Very Different A321s

FLL-DFW in F was a 5yr old A321 with comfortable seats, big seat back TV and WiFi
It seemed very clean and had soft cabin lighting. Great flight

DFW-LAS in F was a 12yr old A321 that sucked.
Lumpy seat. No TV. No WiFi and harsh cabin lighting. Also, all the surfaces seemed sticky and the window was all smudged.

Really surprised an important route like DFW-LAS wouldn’t have better equipment. Time for AA to retire that beast.
seigex, Owenc, Ezzy77 and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by big69bob
Time for AA to retire that beast.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:04 am

Really surprised an important route like DFW-LAS wouldn’t have better equipment.
Las Vegas is a leisure destination, I'd bet that the number of passengers who would refuse to fly American on that route because of a junky plane are close to zero.
355F1, DenverBrian, Markie and 9 others like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Las Vegas is a leisure destination, I'd bet that the number of passengers who would refuse to fly American on that route because of a junky plane are close to zero.
in addition the number of passengers on that route that know what the difference between a Saab 340 and an Airbus 340 are close to zero.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
FLL-DFW in F was a 5yr old A321 with comfortable seats, big seat back TV and WiFi

DFW-LAS in F was a 12yr old A321 that sucked.
Lumpy seat. No TV. No WiFi and harsh cabin lighting. Also, all the surfaces seemed sticky and the window was all smudged.

Really surprised an important route like DFW-LAS wouldn’t have better equipment. Time for AA to retire that beast.
Both of these are going away this year for the standardized Oasis configuration...
Old May 5, 2021, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dls25
Both of these are going away this year for the standardized Oasis configuration...
I've already been on a LAA321 in which the AVOD has been ripped out and "Oasised." The good news is that there will be 20 F seats. I'll take the extra 4 F seats in exchange for no AVOD.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
All 5 versions of AA's A321s have WiFi. If it wasn't available on your flight, then it was broken at the time.
FlyingEgghead and TWA884 like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I fly A321's into and out of Vegas a lot. But I always get an aisle seat and try for the bulkhead, and anyway, if I want to watch something I'll pull out my laptop.

However, the last time I flew one of them I got dropped back into row 3, and was rather chagrined that in F I didn't have enough room to open my 15" laptop when the seat in front of me was reclined. I used to be able to open my laptop in Y!
Old May 5, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I fly to LAS often, about half the time through PHX. Occasionally I will fly via ORD if I can find a good paid-F fare; I enjoy the longer flights in F and enjoy all the EQMs. When I fly via DFW, I'm always on one of the old A321's with no PTV's. I don't think they are particularly uncomfortable in F, though, and I think the MCE seats are fairly comfortable. They are definitely showing their age, though. My main beef is that they don't have any power outlets. If you are going to make me use my own device, you could at least give me a power outlet.
Ezzy77 and aj411 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
If you are going to make me use my own device, you could at least give me a power outlet.
All A321s should have power by the end of 2021. It has taken a while (too long IMHO) but it seems they are finally making traction on this project.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Seems like CLT is the home for all the non-upgraded LUS A321. I'm blown away at how often I still get a non-upgraded LUS A321. No power outlets, small overhead bins. It feels like way more then half my flights are on that bus.
Old May 6, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Which ironically is worse than both aircraft mentioned by the OP.
Old May 6, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
It might be newer, cleaner and have power outlets, but it's much less comfortable in both cabins. MCE is like coach used to be, and I feel so sorry for those poor souls having to sit in regular economy. The first class seats are not as comfortable, but they're okay. The main benefit, I suppose, is four additional F seats. As we exit the pandemic, as a gold/plat, my upgrade opportunities on main line flights is quickly eroding. For me, my main interest would be the main cabin extra seats. Moreover they are certainly nothing special on an oasis aircraft.

Originally Posted by cmd320
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
The LAA A321s with IFE are among the best domestic F recliner seats out there. A little irritating that they are going away.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by econ
The LAA A321s with IFE are among the best domestic F recliner seats out there. A little irritating that they are going away.
I actually remember not liking these seats when they first came out because I found them less comfortable than the old 757 and 737 seats and especially the S80 seat.

Of course, now domestic F seats have progressed to being as uncomfortable as they have ever been, so yes, these seats are essentially the best out there.
Antarius and econ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.