Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap refundable fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Cheap refundable fares

Lately I have been noticing a lot of super-cheap "upgrades" to a refundable fare, e.g. "add $12 to make it refundable". This seems pretty appealing if your plans are anything but etched in stone. Is this as simple as it sounds, I can just cancel whenever I want and get a full refund? Or is there some catch or other consideration I should be thinking of? I know in the past, some "flexible" fares still charged a fee when refunding.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I mean they're basically refundable now. Sure, you get it refunded in the form of a voucher, but the mandatory $200 hit you used to take in order to cancel a ticket is gone for now.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Or is there some catch or other consideration I should be thinking of? I know in the past, some "flexible" fares still charged a fee when refunding.
There could be, depending on the fare rules. "Refundable" and "Refundable without a penalty" are distinctly different. AA did experiment with some discounted business class fares that were refundable with a material penalty (maybe just before COVID or last summer?), but it tends to be more of a foreign carrier thing where deeply discounted fares can be refunded to the original form of payment, minus a penalty.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:08 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Did AA.com stop showing fare rules? I've seen these pop up as well as "Main Cabin Flexible" (though the ones I've seen have been the cheapest available fares-- not an upsell, though some are definitely in the range of what I'd expect lowest available coach fares to be pre-pandemic), but I can't seem to pull up the fare rules anywhere.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dw
Did AA.com stop showing fare rules...I can't seem to pull up the fare rules anywhere.
I think I've read that on FT, but don't book online personally. PM me if you need help and I can look it up in Sabre.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Did AA.com stop showing fare rules? I've seen these pop up as well as "Main Cabin Flexible" (though the ones I've seen have been the cheapest available fares-- not an upsell, though some are definitely in the range of what I'd expect lowest available coach fares to be pre-pandemic), but I can't seem to pull up the fare rules anywhere.
The fare rules are still available. You need to go all the way through to the billing page before they are accessible. They are at the "Detailed Fare Rules" link.

NYC Flyer, dw and Antarius like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 30, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:55 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
The fare rules are still available. You need to go all the way through to the billing page before they are accessible. They are at the "Detailed Fare Rules" link.

I’m usually pretty good at parsing out the meaning from fare rules, but lately the AA fare rules have been all but indecipherable to me due to the layers of nested “if-then” rules relating to COVID changes.

I think it’s a safe assumption that the sub-$100 buy ups to “refundable” or “flexible” fares are not actually refundable without a fee/penalty.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
I’m usually pretty good at parsing out the meaning from fare rules, but lately the AA fare rules have been all but indecipherable to me due to the layers of nested “if-then” rules relating to COVID changes.

I think it’s a safe assumption that the sub-$100 buy ups to “refundable” or “flexible” fares are not actually refundable without a fee/penalty.
I assumed the same, but got curious and looked one up for kicks...in this case LAX-ORD for $191 one/way.

-FULL REFUND WILL BE MADE OF WHOLLY UNUSED
REFUNDABLE FARE TICKETS.
dw and futuramadramallama like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 30, 2021 at 1:36 pm Reason: sp
Old May 1, 2021, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
This is sort of what I was assuming as well. But they distinctly call it "refundable" rather than "flexible". Which one would think is less ambiguous, but airlines certainly like to play games with words and their common meanings. I am not as good at most on this board at deciphering the lines and lines of all-caps run-on-sentence fare rules, so I am naturally suspicious.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
This is sort of what I was assuming as well. But they distinctly call it "refundable" rather than "flexible". Which one would think is less ambiguous, but airlines certainly like to play games with words and their common meanings. I am not as good at most on this board at deciphering the lines and lines of all-caps run-on-sentence fare rules, so I am naturally suspicious.
The refundable fares, ranging from the highly discounted fare I referenced above to full-fare "Y", are all actually branded as Main Cabin Flexible in the GDS.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's a fee for a refund, it will be documented in the "Penalties" section. They have often had these on JFK-LHR flights, but I'm not seeing any right now. There is a $50 fee if you have an unticketed reservation that is not cancelled before departure.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
The refundable fares, ranging from the highly discounted fare I referenced above to full-fare "Y", are all actually branded as Main Cabin Flexible in the GDS.
Interesting. On the offer for the buyup, they explicitly call it "make it refundable", and the word "flexible" doesn't even appear in the fare rules. I don't even know what distinction they are trying to make between the two terms. Honestly, it seems like they try to make this as confusing as possible hoping we'll all give up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.