Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Cancellation rules on changing start point

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis

I have an AA booking in July which started with a Jersey to Gatwick leg. This was cancelled and changed to Jersey to Heathrow (with a lot of other changes and cancellations). I contacted them to ask to change it to start at Newquay, which is within 200 miles of Jersey, expecting this to be subject to normal rules for cancellations, i.e. moveable within the 200 mile limitation.

They explained that because there were still flights from Jersey, even though they're not going to the same airport, they couldn't agree the change. Yet on another booking they changed my start point from Heathrow to Manchester to go to Helsinki, despite flights still being available from Heathrow.

So I'm interested to know if anyone can point to the rulebook to see whether I can get this changed. Jersey is going to be difficult for a while because of more restrictive rules on entry and testing.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Is this an award booking? Or revenue booking?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I have an AA booking in July which started with a Jersey to Gatwick leg. This was cancelled and changed to Jersey to Heathrow (with a lot of other changes and cancellations). I contacted them to ask to change it to start at Newquay, which is within 200 miles of Jersey, expecting this to be subject to normal rules for cancellations, i.e. moveable within the 200 mile limitation.

They explained that because there were still flights from Jersey, even though they're not going to the same airport, they couldn't agree the change. Yet on another booking they changed my start point from Heathrow to Manchester to go to Helsinki, despite flights still being available from Heathrow.

So I'm interested to know if anyone can point to the rulebook to see whether I can get this changed. Jersey is going to be difficult for a while because of more restrictive rules on entry and testing.
This is the kind of thing where different agents interpret the rules differently and/or are just more flexible than others. Definitely just try HUCA a few times, shouldn't be a problem.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Great, thanks. I'm not changing the booking just now anyway until we know whether the US will be open in July. Seems touch and go at the moment.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What is the actual AA rule re radius changes especially internationally and when two separate countries are involved?

LHR-MAN OK because it's within the radius and also in the same country but JER-NQY within the radius but not within the same country?

Changing to NQY also brings in possible liability for UK APD as well.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
same problem here with a trip to the States ex LUX. i really want to change start to FRA. thats 110 miles. (if travel is permitted by then) - is HUACA really the trick? should i try international agents or a german one?

if i consider the HEL-JFK AY leg cancelled too, this even would allow an arrival as booked on the original ticket. the flights ex LUX are down to 1 per day.

Last edited by Nephoi; Apr 29, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What is the actual AA rule re radius changes especially internationally and when two separate countries are involved?
The 300 mi. policy apllies to another airport in the same country and only on AA-operated flights.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which would exclude a switch from JER to NQY becaause

(a) they are in different countries
(b) they aren't AA operated flights but what appear to be AA code on BA metal.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Which would exclude a switch from JER to NQY becaause

(a) they are in different countries
(b) they aren't AA operated flights but what appear to be AA code on BA metal.
I don't think it is due to not being AA.
I had GOA-LGW canceled and was able to get PIS-LHR
Not a bad deal since it only a $2400+ fare in business for DFW-LHR-BLQ (Bologna) PIS (Pisa)-LHR-DFW
It gives a day to drive to Pisa and sightsee, since the cruise gets in Genoa in early morning, and the drive to Pisa isn't far, and the flight leaves after 8PM
Original was BLQ-LGW overnight then LHR-JFK-DFW
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that's different from what NYCflier said where the policy only applies to AA operated flights

he 300 mi. policy apllies to another airport in the same country and only on AA-operated flights.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
So that's different from what NYCflier said where the policy only applies to AA operated flights
It would not surprise me that AA (or any carrier) permitted something at one time or another that was more generous than stated policy. If the customer is not tryng to abuse the system and is simply trying to make the best of an inconvenience, it can make sense for sure. Just not sure if agents do it because they are empowered (hopefully) or simply don't know the rules well.

I'd expect our agency sales support team would provide a policy waiver as well if we asked for a client, particularly in the case of AA/BA JV routes.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 30, 2021 at 8:53 am Reason: clarity
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't think AA-metal 300 radius policy precludes other waivers especially if the transatlantic fare for Pisa would more than likely be just as applicable for Genoa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.