FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Status of AA Gate Changes at LGA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2038858-status-aa-gate-changes-lga.html)

ksweeney Apr 27, 2021 6:27 am

Status of AA Gate Changes at LGA

I'm making a connection tomorrow at LGA. Not having been through there in several months, I'm curious where the construction is at and if the Admirals Club will be open. I'm coming into D6 and leaving from D1. Is this still the same AA concourse that has been around for the past 30+ years or is this new construction? If this is the legacy concourse, is the Admirals Club still open while the transition to the new LGA facilities is taking place?

dw Apr 27, 2021 8:42 am

D is still the legacy concourse and yes, the AC is open.

donotblink Apr 27, 2021 9:28 am

the poster above got it right, you’ll be in the legacy concourse.

I’d still check out the new concourse though, it’s really quite swanky! There is a really cool fountain!

Antarius Apr 27, 2021 9:38 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33209170)
I’d still check out the new concourse though, it’s really quite swanky! There is a really cool fountain!

I never would have put LGA and anything other than ...... in the same sentence until I flew through the new concourse a year ago. They really have done a nice job.

donotblink Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 33209195)
I never would have put LGA and anything other than ...... in the same sentence until I flew through the new concourse a year ago. They really have done a nice job.

Unfortunately the time it takes to get from the gate to the curb has quadrupled :-(

ty97 Apr 27, 2021 11:32 am

Even though it's the old concourse, you can still access the new part of the terminal behind security with plenty of eateries.

formeraa Apr 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33209412)
Unfortunately the time it takes to get from the gate to the curb has quadrupled :-(

The downside of swankiness! ;)

lrdpenn Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Indeed on departure, with the old LGA + Precheck I would feel comfortable arriving 35 minutes before a flight, and that is no longer possible without a significant amount of running. It feels even longer than JFK T8 curb to second pier.
On arrival, going from a D gate to getting an Uber/Lyft used to take 10 minutes, now takes at least 20 requiring a winding walk through multiple shopping areas.

It's a very pretty new terminal, with desirable food options that go beyond hudson news, auntie annes, or that diner-looking place that always had a huge line, but as a convenient airport getting from curb to gate, it fails.

dw Apr 27, 2021 5:59 pm

Yes, it’s quite ridiculous now to get to D, but when everything is finally finished and open it will be a bit longer than before, but maybe only an extra 5 min max? The route after security will be up the escalator, through the shop (the most annoying addition), over the to be built bridge and then down an escalator.

donotblink Apr 28, 2021 11:27 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn (Post 33210247)
Indeed on departure, with the old LGA + Precheck I would feel comfortable arriving 35 minutes before a flight, and that is no longer possible without a significant amount of running. It feels even longer than JFK T8 curb to second pier.
On arrival, going from a D gate to getting an Uber/Lyft used to take 10 minutes, now takes at least 20 requiring a winding walk through multiple shopping areas.

It's a very pretty new terminal, with desirable food options that go beyond hudson news, auntie annes, or that diner-looking place that always had a huge line, but as a convenient airport getting from curb to gate, it fails.

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33210373)
Yes, it’s quite ridiculous now to get to D, but when everything is finally finished and open it will be a bit longer than before, but maybe only an extra 5 min max? The route after security will be up the escalator, through the shop (the most annoying addition), over the to be built bridge and then down an escalator.

Do either of you know if you can exit from the D gates by turning right when you see security before the escalator? I've been wondering that the past few times, but I've been a sheep for some reason and followed the signs instead of exploring.

lrdpenn Apr 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33211865)
Do either of you know if you can exit from the D gates by turning right when you see security before the escalator? I've been wondering that the past few times, but I've been a sheep for some reason and followed the signs instead of exploring.

As of a few months ago the former areas (both the old security line and the down escalator to baggage claim IIRC) were cordoned off with the construction unfortunately

sportsguymichael Apr 28, 2021 1:48 pm

If you don’t want to eat or see the shops before departing, grab your luggage after it has been scanned and instead of making the left towards the up escalator, go through the doors that are straight ahead (there may be a sign that says “AA personnel entrance” but no one cares or enforces it) instead of making the left towards the up escalator. That will save you the time of taking the escalator up, walking by the shops or restaurants and taking the escalator back down. It saves you a little time. I’m doing this from memory so I hope it is accurate. It’s been a month since I flew out of LGA’s new AA terminal.

SFTNYC Apr 28, 2021 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33211865)

Originally Posted by lrdpenn (Post 33212077)
As of a few months ago the former areas (both the old security line and the down escalator to baggage claim IIRC) were cordoned off with the construction unfortunately

I think donotblink was talking about exiting through the new security checkpoint (there's a staff-only looking door that appears to be intended as a shortcut for those going from security to the old D-gates). It's been propped open the last few times I walked past it but similar to you, have been too shy to try exiting through it versus continuing up the escalator.