Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to Charge For Checking Oversized Carry-Ons (April 2021)

Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA has gate checked carryon baggage that is excess or when bins are full for free. A new American Airlines “Airport Excellence Advisory” instructs agents to check the bag(s) and collect the checked baggage fee, “unless you’re entitled to free checked bags with a premium cabin ticket, AAdvantage elite status, or co-brand credit card.“

See full View From the Wing article by Gary Leff here.

Print Wikipost

AA to Charge For Checking Oversized Carry-Ons (April 2021)

Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Exclamation AA to Charge For Checking Oversized Carry-Ons (April 2021)

While I feel for the gate agents on this one, I do see it reducing serious offenders who have to put their bag in sideways and block what could be used by three other rollaboards. Although AAdvantage elite members, co-branded credit card members, etc are exempt. I see this still helping with folks in elite category benefiting, especially if the flight boards early. Thoughts from others?

More here: https://onemileatatime.com/american-..._policy_change
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:00 am

Good for American. Follow the rules like the rest of us or expect to pay the fee. It's not rocket science.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: Costco Club
This didn't work well when they charged for ALL carry-on's for BE tickets.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:31 am

The problem will be consistency! Before this "mandate" we took a trip to TPA (early March) and boarded in zone 4 on a very full flight. Both our bags failed the sizer check and were forced to be gate checked. We've been flying with these bags for years and know they fit perfectly fine in most mainline flights. Gate checking was not a issue in reality, but as we watched the plan fill up, dozens of bags similar size and larger were allowed to be carried on. Mrs. Infrequent Flyer was NOT happy, but it really was a 1st world problem and we were heading on vacation so no need to stress. Just this might be a issue with the new mandate.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018
The problem will be consistency! Before this "mandate" we took a trip to TPA (early March) and boarded in zone 4 on a very full flight. Both our bags failed the sizer check and were forced to be gate checked. We've been flying with these bags for years and know they fit perfectly fine in most mainline flights. Gate checking was not a issue in reality, but as we watched the plan fill up, dozens of bags similar size and larger were allowed to be carried on. Mrs. Infrequent Flyer was NOT happy, but it really was a 1st world problem and we were heading on vacation so no need to stress. Just this might be a issue with the new mandate.
I had a similar issue years back with a bag that was able to be squeezed into the sizer but really did fit wheels out in the bins. I just chose to get a smaller carryon that fit no problem in the sizer bc I didn't want to deal with getting pulled out of the line etc. I was also irritated to see the gate agents essentially lose steam later on and let bigger bags than mine in. I think the key to this policy is to avoid that issue - since elites and cardholders are in groups 1-5, groups 6-9 get the microscope.
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do you have to post a link to a private blogger? It looks to me as you want to funnel traffic to this site in order to generate ad revenue.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
Do you have to post a link to a private blogger? It looks to me as you want to funnel traffic to this site in order to generate ad revenue.
Why does it matter? It's a thorough journalistic article. Most news agencies are "private." I implore you to find a "public" website that is reporting this information and doing a better job at it?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

It showed up in my google news feed, and I thought to start a discussion. I would hope if I were into generating ad rev I would find a better method than to post in a niche internet forum that would garner maybe 50 clicks. I have zero affiliation with the publisher.
Antarius and dpb132 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It's a lot better than posts with no sources.
​​​​​
AAdamE and aamilesslave like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Not sure what your gripe is; its a commonly cited to source for announcements and travel news.

Lighten up, Francis.
Mr. Vker, AAdamE and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I'm curious ... Have any of the US carriers ever offered free checked bag at the ticket counter if the bag is small enough to fit in the carry-on sizer? Basically, doing what they've been doing at the gate, but upfront, at the TIcket counter?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
I'm curious ... Have any of the US carriers ever offered free checked bag at the ticket counter if the bag is small enough to fit in the carry-on sizer? Basically, doing what they've been doing at the gate, but upfront, at the TIcket counter?
Yes, several have tried this to varying success. Some also allowed it a the kiosk. The 2 airlines I've been a manager at when they tried it, they determined that people were just using that for checked bags for free.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
In this scenario, isn't that kinda the point? If it is going to happen for free at the gate, why not save everyone the time at the gate and just do it upfront?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
While this idea should, in theory, reduce said “repeat offenders” my worry is this will make the gate lice situation even worse. Unless steps are taken.

If you’re on a full flight and are Group 5 and higher, they should warn you of this at check-in, or even better, warn you at the time of booking. Maybe even offer a reduced pre-paid checked bag fee?

If you decide to take your carry-on still and don’t have overhead bin space, tough luck. You pay the whole fee. However, who’s to say this won’t cause delays if suddenly an angry pax (of any boarding group) is forced to pay to check? Brainstorming here, so I’m curious of other FTer’s takes/thoughts.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that this will only be aimed at obvious offenders with full size bags. I've seen people haul full-size luggage through TSA before and assumed they probably knew it would just be gate-checked and thus they could avoid luggage check fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.