Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Multiple Fights Broke Out At Miami / MIA Gate D14 today 25 Apr 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Fights Broke Out At Miami / MIA Gate D14 today 25 Apr 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder what took so long for AA personnel and the cops to arrive on the scene. You can't walk 5 feet today in an airport without bumping into either.
GlobalMatt and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:34 pm

AA should turn lemons into lemonade -- "Our domestic First is so great that people are literally fighting to get upgraded!"
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
AA should turn lemons into lemonade -- "Our domestic First is so great that people are literally fighting to get upgraded!"
Going to go on a limb and say these folks were fighting for seats in BE, not F.

With that said, that would be a very interesting new way of dealing with upgrade priority. Perhaps each gatehouse could just have a dueling green off to the side?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Did anyone determine why they were on standby? I know it doesn't matter, but I feel like it adds context to know if they were on a buddy pass, if AA / weather made them miss a connection and them miss a connection... like how valid was their anger? Obviously never valid, but if say, they were on a buddy pass, I would judge them even harder.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by hotturnip
And I fully admit that when I first saw it, I thought, "Oh. Well, it IS Miami.
But the flight was going to Chicago. I'd bet they were Chicago people, not Miami people.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Did anyone determine why they were on standby? I know it doesn't matter, but I feel like it adds context to know if they were on a buddy pass, if AA / weather made them miss a connection and them miss a connection... like how valid was their anger? Obviously never valid, but if say, they were on a buddy pass, I would judge them even harder.
I am wondering the same thing. Since AA doesn't offer standby for non-status revenue pax (unless you miss your flight or there are IROPS), good chance these were buddy passes. If so, some poor AA employee is about to get fired or lose their flight privileges for a while...
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
More than likely they were paxs that showed up to the airport late, missed their flight and were put on standby. Probably not happy to not get on that flight. I've had a couple of GAs at MIA tell me there's a sizable number of paxs that miss flights at MIA. Usually the standby lists are multiple pages. In fact a couple of years ago I volunteered for a bump and when I asked the GA how many the flight was oversold by she said 13. I commented surely they would need volunteers and she said "don't count it, this is Miami." Sure enough not only did they not need me and other volunteers about 10 standbys got on.
wahooflyer, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I thought that Jerry Springer was recorded in Chicago and these were all wannabees guests for the show.

I care not where they come from nor whence they are bound; such behaviour anywhere is disgraceful and in a high security zone it beggars belief. What concerns me is why the police took so long to get there. That I think needs to be addressed big time.
AAway, GlobalMatt, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Since AA doesn't offer standby for non-status revenue pax (unless you miss your flight or there are IROPS)..,
Is this a recent change? I hold no status on AA and was able to stand by twice in the same day back in January. I was flying on a $60 BE fare too. Cleared the standby list both times and even retained my preferred MCE seats.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:13 am

Alas, normalcy has returned...
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
More than likely they were paxs that showed up to the airport late, missed their flight and were put on standby. Probably not happy to not get on that flight. I've had a couple of GAs at MIA tell me there's a sizable number of paxs that miss flights at MIA. Usually the standby lists are multiple pages. In fact a couple of years ago I volunteered for a bump and when I asked the GA how many the flight was oversold by she said 13. I commented surely they would need volunteers and she said "don't count it, this is Miami." Sure enough not only did they not need me and other volunteers about 10 standbys got on.
some people also don't understand how the upgrade or standby list priority works - that could be the issue too.

BAck when same day standby and SDFC allowed different routings, I walked over to the gate of another flight due to a delay in my flight to see if I could get on. On being added, I jumped to the top, which led to an idiot shouting at me for "cutting the line". Fortunately, didn't escalate beyond that.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
But the flight was going to Chicago. I'd bet they were Chicago people, not Miami people.
And what exactly do you mean by that??
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
And what exactly do you mean by that??
That they were from Chicago going home?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jhalapin
That they were from Chicago going home?
Every city has its issues, and you're clearly inferring that where someone is from attributed to the situation, albeit vaguely.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:38 am

What’s frightening is the frequency of these arguments escalating into brawls. Why so many hair trigger tempers these days? It really has gotten bad the last few years and not just in the U.S.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.