Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HNL Upgrade Strategy when short of 1 SWU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Booked a trip with a companion and wanted to try our luck in the upgrade game, but we are short of 1 SWU (would need 4 SWUs RT but only have 3). How do I maximize my chance given there is going to be 1 SWU short? I am EXP and my companion has no status. I have enough stickers as well.

1. Myself: Comp; Companion: SWU
2. Myself: Comp; Companion: Sticker
3. Myself: SWU; Companion: Sticker

Are all these options feasible? If so, which one would list us together in the upgrade list, and which one will make us higher on the upgrade list?
My biggest concern is, will my companion and myself end up not next to each other in the upgrade list? or forced to separate PNR in one of those situations? feel like this is dependent on the IT system than any rules.

Any insights are appreciated!

Last edited by JayJu; Apr 23, 2021 at 12:11 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JayJu
Booked a trip with a companion and wanted to try our luck in the upgrade game, but we are short of 1 SWU (would need 4 RT but only have 3). How do I maximize my chance given there is going to be 1 SWU short? I am EXP and my companion has no status

Are all these options feasible? If so, which one would list us together in the upgrade list, and which one will make us higher on the upgrade list?
My biggest concern is, will my companion and myself end up not next to each other in the upgrade list? or forced to separate PNR in one of those situations? feel like this is dependent on the IT system than any rules.

SWUs can be confirmed far in advance whenever the upgrade becomes available. That could mean the companion getting upgraded and not you
If not upgraded before going to the airport, it is a toss up.
If sticker upgrade happens before going to the airport, then you can buy the upgrade then. (Your companion has the same status as you for the upgrade. In fact, my wife got an upgrade at the airport instead of me, when she had no status)

Last edited by mvoight; Apr 23, 2021 at 12:40 am
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply - I have 3 SWUs and only 1 SWU short (since total needed is 4 i.e. 1 each person each way), I have enough stickers to upgrade my companion one-way (>8 stickers)

I am curious about the toss up situation - since SWU hardly clears for HNL route before checkin, at the airport which option would result in higher position on the list? would any option result in us getting split on the upgrade list?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks for the reply - I have 3 SWUs and only 1 SWU short (since total needed is 4 i.e. 1 each person each way), I have enough stickers to upgrade my companion one-way (>8 stickers)

I am curious about the toss up situation - since SWU hardly clears for HNL route before checkin, at the airport which option would result in higher position on the list? would any option result in us getting split on the upgrade list?
Sorry, thought that was one sticker short
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
On the same PNR I'm not even sure it's possible to have pax waitlisted using different upgrade instruments.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
On the same PNR I'm not even sure it's possible to have pax waitlisted using different upgrade instruments.
that is a very interesting question, unfortunately I dont have any answer
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if 2 person on the same PNR can be listed for upgrade under different instruments, like one complimentary EXP upgrade and one under SWU? Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if 2 person on the same PNR can be listed for upgrade under different instruments, like one complimentary EXP upgrade and one under SWU? Thanks!
I'm pretty sure this isn't possible.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I would book three PNRs in your situation:

Direction 1: Both passengers on PNR 1 to maximize list placement

Direction 2: You on PNR 2 (use stickers) and companion on PNR 3 (use SWU)

Hawaii fares should be half roundtrip to book a one way from almost anywhere in US, so you're not out extra $$ this way.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF
I would book three PNRs in your situation:

Direction 1: Both passengers on PNR 1 to maximize list placement

Direction 2: You on PNR 2 (use stickers) and companion on PNR 3 (use SWU)

Hawaii fares should be half roundtrip to book a one way from almost anywhere in US, so you're not out extra $$ this way.
Thanks, I have already separated DFW-HNL and HNL-DFW during booking in the same thinking. Which leg would you say to keep 2 pax together in the same PNR vs separate?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Booked a trip with a companion and wanted to try our luck in the upgrade game, but we are short of 1 SWU (would need 4 SWUs RT but only have 3). How do I maximize my chance given there is going to be 1 SWU short? I am EXP and my companion has no status. I have enough stickers as well.

AA rarely releases C space on the DFW-HNL/OGG flights so in reality using a SWU will help you to get a higher priority on the upgrade list but won't likely clear until fairly close to departure.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
1. SWU R/T for OP

2. SWU O/W for companion, Miles and co-pay O/W (used to be $350 and 25,000 miles)

All confirmed.

FYI-Good luck using ANY kind of upgrade instrument to Hawaii for 2 or more. Perhaps buying J is an option, if one wants a degree of certainty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.