Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combining Separate Award PNRs into One - (Can not be done)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

This probably belongs in an award thread, but there are so many I couldn't figure out where it should go. Mods - please move as appropriate.

If I book two one-way awards (MIA-HND/HND-ADL) now, can they later be combined into one PNR or does there have to be space later when combining? Reason I ask is that my ultimate destination is MEL and travel is in January, so better options may open up between now and then but I have an F seat for the flight to HND and don't want to lose that if the trip works out. I'm afraid if I combine now and then need to change the later leg, I will lose the F seat.

Alternate solution: would I be protected if separate PNRs but all AA award tickets on OW carriers?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Theres no way to merge multiple PNRs into one, the only way to get them all on one PNR is to cancel and rebook the flights. You will be protected though.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Cannot be done.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
This probably belongs in an award thread, but there are so many I couldn't figure out where it should go. Mods - please move as appropriate.

If I book two one-way awards (MIA-HND/HND-ADL) now, can they later be combined into one PNR or does there have to be space later when combining? Reason I ask is that my ultimate destination is MEL and travel is in January, so better options may open up between now and then but I have an F seat for the flight to HND and don't want to lose that if the trip works out. I'm afraid if I combine now and then need to change the later leg, I will lose the F seat.

Alternate solution: would I be protected if separate PNRs but all AA award tickets on OW carriers?

Thanks!
Which carriers operates the transpacific portion? There is no protection unless one of the flight in the disrupted connection is AA.

If AA issues two awards for JL connecting to QF, AA policy does not necessarily cover. Since MIA-HND would likely involve AA entirely or AA and JL, you may have some protection. YMMV
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Which carriers operates the transpacific portion? There is no protection unless one of the flight in the disrupted connection is AA.

If AA issues two awards for JL connecting to QF, AA policy does not necessarily cover. Since MIA-HND would likely involve AA entirely or AA and JL, you may have some protection. YMMV
PNR A
AA MIA-JFK
JL JFK-HND

PNR B
CX HND-HKG-ADL

All purchased as AA award tickets.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
PNR A
AA MIA-JFK
JL JFK-HND

PNR B
CX HND-HKG-ADL

All purchased as AA award tickets.
If MIA-JFK is delayed then AA would take care of you. If JFK-HND is delayed I would not want to be left holding the bag.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
If MIA-JFK is delayed then AA would take care of you. If JFK-HND is delayed I would not want to be left holding the bag.
Oh dear - that's not a good sign.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Oh dear - that's not a good sign.
You are worrying way too much with all this, a 5 hour connection is plenty of time (especially with JL and connecting in Tokyo) and leaves tons of buffer for all but the worst of worst case scenarios.

Additionally, if you get to JFK and the flight to HND starts getting delayed such that the connection begins to look risky, you have plenty of time to get on the phone to make alternate arrangements before you even get to HND.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You are worrying way too much with all this, a 5 hour connection is plenty of time (especially with JL and connecting in Tokyo) and leaves tons of buffer for all but the worst of worst case scenarios.

Additionally, if you get to JFK and the flight to HND starts getting delayed such that the connection begins to look risky, you have plenty of time to get on the phone to make alternate arrangements before you even get to HND.
Perhaps. My concern is not the re-routing or making alternative arrangements - I deal with that regularly. My concern is whether I'm protected. As the CX flights are on a separate PNR, if the HND flight is delayed, is CX going to care that I can't make it on time?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the AA cross-ticket policy only applies AA-OW or OW-AA, the only way this ticketing arrangement becomes problematic is if your xJFK flight is delayed enroute by more than the transfer time required at HND. That is not unknown, but a bit of a rarity. Any delays prior to departure, can be addressed at MIA or JFK as the case may be.

Where this does become problematic is not in IRROPS, but given that OP does not propose travel until January. The chances that the flights are not changed or cancelled in the interim is pretty slim. Where OP runs into problems is that a schedule change might bring him below sufficient time to transfer. While the ticket is changeable, OP would be on their own until the next available flight where CX has redemption space (as AA cannot force it).

If bags are involved, need to confirm that JL will check across separate tickets to CX.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps. My concern is not the re-routing or making alternative arrangements - I deal with that regularly. My concern is whether I'm protected. As the CX flights are on a separate PNR, if the HND flight is delayed, is CX going to care that I can't make it on time?
This would be more of a question on JL/CX forum. AA policy is protection involving IRROPS and separate tickets between AA->OW and/or OW->AA.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; May 2, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Old May 2, 2021, 9:19 am
Original Poster

FWIW, to put a bow on this thread, I found a better option and everything was available at the same time. I called and booked it all into one PNR, so I will be protected on all flights. Thanks everyone for your input.
JDiver, seawolf, javabytes and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.