Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combining Separate Award PNRs into One - (Can not be done)

Combining Separate Award PNRs into One - (Can not be done)

Old Apr 19, 21, 3:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
Combining Separate Award PNRs into One - (Can not be done)

This probably belongs in an award thread, but there are so many I couldn't figure out where it should go. Mods - please move as appropriate.

If I book two one-way awards (MIA-HND/HND-ADL) now, can they later be combined into one PNR or does there have to be space later when combining? Reason I ask is that my ultimate destination is MEL and travel is in January, so better options may open up between now and then but I have an F seat for the flight to HND and don't want to lose that if the trip works out. I'm afraid if I combine now and then need to change the later leg, I will lose the F seat.

Alternate solution: would I be protected if separate PNRs but all AA award tickets on OW carriers?

Thanks!
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 4:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: AA,UA,AS
Posts: 250
Theres no way to merge multiple PNRs into one, the only way to get them all on one PNR is to cancel and rebook the flights. You will be protected though.
freeagent is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 4:47 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 6,086
Cannot be done.
seawolf likes this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 2:03 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 12,787
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
This probably belongs in an award thread, but there are so many I couldn't figure out where it should go. Mods - please move as appropriate.

If I book two one-way awards (MIA-HND/HND-ADL) now, can they later be combined into one PNR or does there have to be space later when combining? Reason I ask is that my ultimate destination is MEL and travel is in January, so better options may open up between now and then but I have an F seat for the flight to HND and don't want to lose that if the trip works out. I'm afraid if I combine now and then need to change the later leg, I will lose the F seat.

Alternate solution: would I be protected if separate PNRs but all AA award tickets on OW carriers?

Thanks!
Which carriers operates the transpacific portion? There is no protection unless one of the flight in the disrupted connection is AA.

If AA issues two awards for JL connecting to QF, AA policy does not necessarily cover. Since MIA-HND would likely involve AA entirely or AA and JL, you may have some protection. YMMV
seawolf is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 2:42 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Which carriers operates the transpacific portion? There is no protection unless one of the flight in the disrupted connection is AA.

If AA issues two awards for JL connecting to QF, AA policy does not necessarily cover. Since MIA-HND would likely involve AA entirely or AA and JL, you may have some protection. YMMV
PNR A
AA MIA-JFK
JL JFK-HND

PNR B
CX HND-HKG-ADL

All purchased as AA award tickets.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 20, 21, 6:30 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,528
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
PNR A
AA MIA-JFK
JL JFK-HND

PNR B
CX HND-HKG-ADL

All purchased as AA award tickets.
If MIA-JFK is delayed then AA would take care of you. If JFK-HND is delayed I would not want to be left holding the bag.
javabytes is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 8:38 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
If MIA-JFK is delayed then AA would take care of you. If JFK-HND is delayed I would not want to be left holding the bag.
Oh dear - that's not a good sign.
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 8:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,302
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Oh dear - that's not a good sign.
You are worrying way too much with all this, a 5 hour connection is plenty of time (especially with JL and connecting in Tokyo) and leaves tons of buffer for all but the worst of worst case scenarios.

Additionally, if you get to JFK and the flight to HND starts getting delayed such that the connection begins to look risky, you have plenty of time to get on the phone to make alternate arrangements before you even get to HND.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 8:58 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
You are worrying way too much with all this, a 5 hour connection is plenty of time (especially with JL and connecting in Tokyo) and leaves tons of buffer for all but the worst of worst case scenarios.

Additionally, if you get to JFK and the flight to HND starts getting delayed such that the connection begins to look risky, you have plenty of time to get on the phone to make alternate arrangements before you even get to HND.
Perhaps. My concern is not the re-routing or making alternative arrangements - I deal with that regularly. My concern is whether I'm protected. As the CX flights are on a separate PNR, if the HND flight is delayed, is CX going to care that I can't make it on time?
HofstraJet is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 9:39 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
While the AA cross-ticket policy only applies AA-OW or OW-AA, the only way this ticketing arrangement becomes problematic is if your xJFK flight is delayed enroute by more than the transfer time required at HND. That is not unknown, but a bit of a rarity. Any delays prior to departure, can be addressed at MIA or JFK as the case may be.

Where this does become problematic is not in IRROPS, but given that OP does not propose travel until January. The chances that the flights are not changed or cancelled in the interim is pretty slim. Where OP runs into problems is that a schedule change might bring him below sufficient time to transfer. While the ticket is changeable, OP would be on their own until the next available flight where CX has redemption space (as AA cannot force it).

If bags are involved, need to confirm that JL will check across separate tickets to CX.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 9:43 am
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 12,787
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Perhaps. My concern is not the re-routing or making alternative arrangements - I deal with that regularly. My concern is whether I'm protected. As the CX flights are on a separate PNR, if the HND flight is delayed, is CX going to care that I can't make it on time?
This would be more of a question on JL/CX forum. AA policy is protection involving IRROPS and separate tickets between AA->OW and/or OW->AA.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; May 2, 21 at 2:20 pm
seawolf is offline  
Old May 2, 21, 9:19 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 829
FWIW, to put a bow on this thread, I found a better option and everything was available at the same time. I called and booked it all into one PNR, so I will be protected on all flights. Thanks everyone for your input.
JDiver, seawolf, javabytes and 1 others like this.
HofstraJet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: