Search

Reduced Mileage Award booking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:34 am
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Reduced Mileage Award booking

Apparently AA updated the list to include ATL and SLC during the month of May. I was thinking of canceling my ticket and rebooking trying to get the discounted mileage.
The roundtrip price is 26,500 miles.

I know I am supposed to call AA to book, but I'm unsure how it works. Are the miles automatically deducted or is it like a rebate?
Do I give them the promo code and hope it works?

If anyone could share their experience of booking these types of awards I'd appreciate it!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Apparently AA updated the list to include ATL and SLC during the month of May. I was thinking of canceling my ticket and rebooking trying to get the discounted mileage.
The roundtrip price is 26,500 miles.

I know I am supposed to call AA to book, but I'm unsure how it works. Are the miles automatically deducted or is it like a rebate?
Do I give them the promo code and hope it works?

If anyone could share their experience of booking these types of awards I'd appreciate it!
Call up AA and ask to change to the other itinerary. They should be able to cancel the first booking and set you up with the new one almost instantly. If someone says they can't, just HUCA. Also, I'm assuming you'd be saving considerable miles by doing this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:58 am
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Call up AA and ask to change to the other itinerary. They should be able to cancel the first booking and set you up with the new one almost instantly. If someone says they can't, just HUCA. Also, I'm assuming you'd be saving considerable miles by doing this.
It's the Reduced Mileage Award benefit from the Aviator Red Mastercard. I'd get supposedly 7,500 miles off the price of my ticket.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
It's the Reduced Mileage Award benefit from the Aviator Red Mastercard. I'd get supposedly 7,500 miles off the price of my ticket.
Nice. I'd say that's worth a call. Also, because you have an Aviator Red MC, you'll get 10% of whatever miles you redeem back
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You need to make sure there is still sAAver space on your original itinerary. You cannot just change an already ticketed award to a Reduced Mileage Award.

If there is still sAAver space open, then you can cancel your original booking online, then put another booking on hold. Then call AA and ask to ticket the on-hold booking as a Reduced Mileage Award.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:48 am
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You need to make sure there is still sAAver space on your original itinerary. You cannot just change an already ticketed award to a Reduced Mileage Award.

If there is still sAAver space open, then you can cancel your original booking online, then put another booking on hold. Then call AA and ask to ticket the on-hold booking as a Reduced Mileage Award.
Ok, I knew they wouldn't be able to change it, but I didn't realize I could put it on hold and just have them book it. Do I need to give them the award code? As long as there is sAAver space it'll work correct? And is it a rebate on the miles, or does it immediately get deducted from the price of the ticket?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Ok, I knew they wouldn't be able to change it, but I didn't realize I could put it on hold and just have them book it. Do I need to give them the award code? As long as there is sAAver space it'll work correct? And is it a rebate on the miles, or does it immediately get deducted from the price of the ticket?
It's immediately deducted, i.e. a cheaper ticket, not a rebate like that 10% off that one of the cards had/has.
Standard awards are 8750 miles each way instead of 12500. Best bet is to put the 12500-mile award segments on hold first and then call... keep in mind that it has to be regular saver availability, not a web special that happens to be 10k or 11k each way (and not a mix of, say, 11k and 14k that happens to equal 25k)...
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:21 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
It's immediately deducted, i.e. a cheaper ticket, not a rebate like that 10% off that one of the cards had/has.
Standard awards are 8750 miles each way instead of 12500. Best bet is to put the 12500-mile award segments on hold first and then call... keep in mind that it has to be regular saver availability, not a web special that happens to be 10k or 11k each way (and not a mix of, say, 11k and 14k that happens to equal 25k)...
Just got off the phone with AA now. Yesterday ATL-SLC was a web special for 14,000 miles while the return was a regular sAAver award. I checked today and they're both sAAver awards right now. They were able to book the itinerary I wanted and the total came out to 17,500 miles. Pretty darn good I'd say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.