Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA A321T being shown on BOS-JFK but being sold as domestic First - Seat query?

Old Apr 19, 21, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Gold

I'm looking at a potential trip in Jan, and i'm seeing that on the BOS-JFK leg, AA are currently scheduling a Transcon A321 (Sharklets) on the route. On Matrix, it's pricing out as Domestic First (I), rather than Business (I) (which I would expect if it was running a transcon) - if I book in domestic First, would that mean that potentially i'd be able to select the Flagship First seating, as well as from the "usual" transcon business seat? I'm expecting service to be usual basic domestic first no matter what (and on such a short hop, that likely means i'd be lucky to get a drink), but curious to try the seat if there's an opportunity.

Looking at the same flight, but under the BA codeshare, shows "Business (I)", which would be the case for transcon business anyway. In case anyone on here knows the answer (having been in that position before), would this mean that i'm best booking it under the AA flight number, or will I still have the same seat selection whether it's a BA codeshare or not. Also, I know January is a long way away - we don't know what changes might occur for scheduling due to Covid, or there may simply be a routine equipment change nearer the time which would render this point moot - but for now, i'm keen to understand what options there are.
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No difference whether booking under BA codeshare or AA flight number. The three class A321Ts have often run on the BOS-JFK route, but they operate as two class planes where those in first sit in the 1+1 first cabin but get the normal snack basket service.

If you book that itinerary with domestic first on the BOS-JFK route you will be able to select seats in the front 1+1 cabin.
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
it does not matter what you book it through, they currently only list the first cabin (1-1) as available for selection. the business cabin is considered "main cabin" ie economy for this flight so you will be restricted to the first cabin that you desire.
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
it does not matter what you book it through, they currently only list the first cabin (1-1) as available for selection. the business cabin is considered "main cabin" ie economy for this flight so you will be restricted to the first cabin that you desire.
Nice upgrade for the economy passengers :-).
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:38 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Plenty of time to change between now and January
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
Originally Posted by efincomputer View Post
Nice upgrade for the economy passengers :-).

haha yes. not knowing specifics but id wager it may have to do with staffing since only 10 F pax can easily be served their drinks and snack basket pass on the short flight rather than triple that number if you had the J cabin included.
Old Apr 19, 21, 9:19 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Also be aware that the AA schedule for January 2022 is a placeholder.
Be prepared for a change which could be an aircraft type switch to an A319/320 or an Embraer.
Old Apr 19, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
AA will not base an A321T at Boston so would only do BOS-JFK as a positioning flight. A couple of times AA have tried an A321T on BOS-LAX but apparently without success. Seeing an A321T at Boston is a long shot.
Old Apr 19, 21, 12:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
AA will not base an A321T at Boston so would only do BOS-JFK as a positioning flight. A couple of times AA have tried an A321T on BOS-LAX but apparently without success. Seeing an A321T at Boston is a long shot.
they aren’t based at BOS but are based at JFK. For some
reason the fleet was always under-utilised for transcon routes so they used to also serve a few rotations on the JFK-BOS route. I have had them many times on the route tbh - although I will say this was pre Covid so who knows what will happen in the future.
VSLover likes this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Good point KARFA about AA historically using unused capacity on the JFK-BOS route but I still think it unlikely that an A321T will be seen any time soon on this route.
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
Agree it must be a positioning flight; also, given AA’s tendency to re-jig timetables, this flight will probably go through a number of changes in the next couple of months...

Having said that, there seems to be some spare capacity now with A321Ts as evidenced by the new JFK to Orange County route starting on July 2 (which is, btw, a good Avios redemption if there’s nothing to LAX itself).
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Between JFK/BOS, the 10-seat F cabin is sold as domestic First (business class fare codes, mileage/TP-earning).

The 20-seat J cabin is sold as economy, but is Main Cabin Extra seating reserved for Elites until check-in.
Old Apr 19, 21, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Also be aware that the AA schedule for January 2022 is a placeholder.
Be prepared for a change which could be an aircraft type switch to an A319/320 or an Embraer.
Yeah - i figure there is absolutely no guarantees about anything this far out. Hey - if it works out, great - but it certainly isn't the reason for the trip :-). Besides, I know AA has a well known history of equipment changes!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
every possibility this would be the same aircraft into and out of bos
Old Apr 19, 21, 7:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
they aren’t based at BOS but are based at JFK. For some
reason the fleet was always under-utilised for transcon routes so they used to also serve a few rotations on the JFK-BOS route. I have had them many times on the route tbh - although I will say this was pre Covid so who knows what will happen in the future.
Same here - DCA-JFK was common too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: