Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Beware, many flight changes as of 18 Apr 2021. (Did June schedule just go final?)

Beware, many flight changes as of 18 Apr 2021. (Did June schedule just go final?)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 18, 21, 5:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Check your PNRs. April 18, 2021, AA announced the latest schedule changes, including:April 18, 2021

We will not resume service to the following destinations until Aug. 17 unless otherwise noted:

ATH – PHL
BCN – JFK
BCN – PHL
CDG – MIA
CDG – ORD
CDG –PHL
DUB – CLT
DUB – ORD (resumes July 2)
FCO – ORD
FCO – PHL
FRA – CLT
MAD – CLT (resumes July)
MAD – JFK (canceled June 3 – 16)
MAD – MIA (canceled June 3 – 16)
MAD – PHL (resumes July)

Additionally, our service to LHR will be reduced as follows:

LHR – PHX and LHR – RDU canceled through Aug. 16
LHR – DFW will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – ORD will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – JFK will operate once daily through June, then twice daily through Aug. 16
LHR – CLT will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – PHL will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – LAX will operate once daily through Aug. 16

We will not operate the following routes and they will resume in Summer 2022

EDI – PHL
SNN – PHL
BCN – ORD
DUB – DFW

Finally, our HKG – DFW service is now planned to resume Oct. 30.

Also, see the discussion of domestic widebody flights added to the schedule:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...y-summer-2021/

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 21, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Noticed a few small changes on June schedules today. Anyone aware if it just went final?

As for my home airport, mainline service coming back in June for first time since 2019 if it is final, so that's an exciting indicator...
Old Apr 17, 21, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Looks like it. My June itinerary got totally scrambled.
Old Apr 17, 21, 10:30 pm

Programs: None
Yes, AA has pushed changes for the June schedule along with July through mid-August.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Here We Go Again (many flight changes April 18 2021)

I posted a thread regarding my monthly PHL-LAS trip for May, in mid-March when the schedules were changed. This involves my June trip.

On March 18 I booked Flight 726 (PHL-LAX) connecting to 2875 (LAX-LAS) for $482 (F). It departs at 4PM and there was also a 4PM nonstop for $400. I paid the extra $82 because 726 is a B787 and it's worth the extra money and travel time to get the better plane, particularly in F. At the time I was unaware of AA's practice of wholesale schedule changes.

As of today, 726 is operating an A321. There is no longer a 4PM nonstop but there is one at 6:07 (the only afternoon nonstop), flight 1585. Ironically, that's a B787, but that's not directly relevant. The fare is $673.

When an airline has to change equipment because a plane breaks, or is delayed, or even somebody charters the wrong one, or whatever, we as flyers understand. We even kind of understand wholesale schedule changes. But when a flight is changed to an inferior plane for an entire month, month after month, it's impossible to conclude that they really intended to fly that plane. "Bait and switch" is defined as offering a good or service, then attempting to substitute an inferior or higher-priced product." It's illegal, and no contract between two parties can make it legal.

I called reservations and of course was told that they would be happy to change my itin, for the fare difference. I'm not even asking for the $82 back. (Presumably if I had booked the 4PM nonstop they would have switched me to the 6:07.) I doubt that AA has an entire department devoted to "How can we swap equipment in and out to best defraud our customers." But the fact that they're not inherently evil doesn't mean they can do an evil thing. I'm not asking them to fly the plane I want at the time I want, I just want them to come as close as possible to putting me in the position I'd have been in if they had not engaged in what, regardless of their motives and regardless of the conditions of carriage, amounts to an illegal bait and switch.

What are people's opinions about what I should do? I'd make a crude joke about one solution, but after what's been happening recently, including at FedEx yesterday, stuff like that isn't close to funny. I can suck it up and pay the $189 fare difference. I can buy a ticket on 1585 and then fight it out. I can write to customer relations, but I don't want to wake up one morning and find that the $673 flight is now up to $850.

Ironically, under other circumstances this would be an incredible windfall. The Y fare on 1585 is $116, and for that I get MCE (I'm ExPlat) which is really the W seats and isn't that much worse than the F seats on the A321. I could save a bundle, but right now that's not something I want to do.

I found some more interesting information. The 6:55 nonstop, flight 1585, turns around and comes back to PHL as a red-eye. This is absolutely awesome for me. I've booked this return for most of my trips, and while it's only a 4-hour flight, it's still a damn sight better to have a lie-flat on a red-eye than a regular F seat. I'm not feeling quite as annoyed anymore. I'll have to see what they've done to some of the fares though.
smartytravel likes this.

Last edited by redtop43; Apr 17, 21 at 11:29 pm Reason: Found more relevant information
Old Apr 17, 21, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
I posted a thread regarding my monthly PHL-LAS trip for May, in mid-March when the schedules were changed. This involves my June trip.

On March 18 I booked Flight 726 (PHL-LAX) connecting to 2875 (LAX-LAS) for $482 (F). It departs at 4PM and there was also a 4PM nonstop for $400. I paid the extra $82 because 726 is a B787 and it's worth the extra money and travel time to get the better plane, particularly in F. At the time I was unaware of AA's practice of wholesale schedule changes.

As of today, 726 is operating an A321. There is no longer a 4PM nonstop but there is one at 6:07 (the only afternoon nonstop), flight 1585. Ironically, that's a B787, but that's not directly relevant. The fare is $673.

When an airline has to change equipment because a plane breaks, or is delayed, or even somebody charters the wrong one, or whatever, we as flyers understand. We even kind of understand wholesale schedule changes. But when a flight is changed to an inferior plane for an entire month, month after month, it's impossible to conclude that they really intended to fly that plane. "Bait and switch" is defined as offering a good or service, then attempting to substitute an inferior or higher-priced product." It's illegal, and no contract between two parties can make it legal.

I called reservations and of course was told that they would be happy to change my itin, for the fare difference. I'm not even asking for the $82 back. (Presumably if I had booked the 4PM nonstop they would have switched me to the 6:07.) I doubt that AA has an entire department devoted to "How can we swap equipment in and out to best defraud our customers." But the fact that they're not inherently evil doesn't mean they can do an evil thing. I'm not asking them to fly the plane I want at the time I want, I just want them to come as close as possible to putting me in the position I'd have been in if they had not engaged in what, regardless of their motives and regardless of the conditions of carriage, amounts to an illegal bait and switch.

What are people's opinions about what I should do? I'd make a crude joke about one solution, but after what's been happening recently, including at FedEx yesterday, stuff like that isn't close to funny. I can suck it up and pay the $189 fare difference. I can buy a ticket on 1585 and then fight it out. I can write to customer relations, but I don't want to wake up one morning and find that the $673 flight is now up to $850.

Ironically, under other circumstances this would be an incredible windfall. The Y fare on 1585 is $116, and for that I get MCE (I'm ExPlat) which is really the W seats and isn't that much worse than the F seats on the A321. I could save a bundle, but right now that's not something I want to do.
I sympathize with your situation, but you have to keep in mind that AA employs some of the least intelligent network planning and revenue management staff out there. Even before Covid they struggled with basic demand forecasting, so imagine how lost they must be now.

However, PHL LAX/SFO are routes that in the past did have at least one daily widebody service. I wouldn't say that AA is intentionally opting for a switch and bait strategy, but if they see that they can deploy a 787 on a route with stronger passenger and cargo demand, they do have the right to make the change as no airline guarantees a specific aircraft under their terms of carriage.

Have you tried calling AA and complaining about booking a 787 with flat beds and now getting a 321 with standard seats? I'm not the best person to ask because as CK AA makes all sorts of exceptions for me as a top flier, yet you may get a good supervisor who may be able to route you on a connecting flight that will have flat beds or to change you to the earlier nonstop that is currently showing widebody service.
Old Apr 18, 21, 12:07 am

That’s interesting. I can’t see any of the changes in my bookings but flight aren’t available any more and seatmap won’t load. Maybe give it another hour or two?
Old Apr 18, 21, 12:12 am

I doubt they are intentionally doing a bait-and-switch because they're evil, but when they make the same change month after month AND it meets the definition of bait-and-switch, I don't think they can hide behind the contract of carriage. Every contract contains an implied covenant of good faith, i.e. each party genuinely intends to perform. I'll stop there.

I did call ExPlat reservations and the AAgent basically said "Pay the fare difference, there's nothing else I can do."

I'm less irked than I was two hours ago when I posted this. It appears that they are putting a 787 into regular service, at least for several months, flying westbound at 6-7PM and eastbound at 10-11PM. What this means is that I can get my lie-flats in both directions without even having to take a connection. I already changed one trip, having to pay an extra $21 each way. There's another trip where I was on the 4PM nonstop and it seems like they are probably changing that to a later nonstop on the B787. There is a separate post about new widebody schedules, and I'm hoping that they don't post those schedules capriciously.

All things considered, this is kind of nirvana for me. If you asked me what is the one thing I'd like AA to do, it would be to fly widebodies in both directions PHL-LAS. On the two trips I took in 2020 before the lockdown I was able to get that configuration, but I didn't see it as a regular thing. I may just pay the $190 here rather than fight it to the death because considering everything I feel totally ahead of the game.
Old Apr 18, 21, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
That’s interesting. I can’t see any of the changes in my bookings but flight aren’t available any more and seatmap won’t load. Maybe give it another hour or two?
Earlier this evening I had one trip that had an equipment change and the new seat showed up. I had another that was a 4PM flight that still showed but the seatmap wouldn't load, but right now (3AM EDT) it updated to what I thought it would be, a nonstop on different equipment at a different time.
Old Apr 18, 21, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I doubt they are intentionally doing a bait-and-switch because they're evil, but when they make the same change month after month AND it meets the definition of bait-and-switch, I don't think they can hide behind the contract of carriage. Every contract contains an implied covenant of good faith, i.e. each party genuinely intends to perform. I'll stop there.

I did call ExPlat reservations and the AAgent basically said "Pay the fare difference, there's nothing else I can do."

I'm less irked than I was two hours ago when I posted this. It appears that they are putting a 787 into regular service, at least for several months, flying westbound at 6-7PM and eastbound at 10-11PM. What this means is that I can get my lie-flats in both directions without even having to take a connection. I already changed one trip, having to pay an extra $21 each way. There's another trip where I was on the 4PM nonstop and it seems like they are probably changing that to a later nonstop on the B787. There is a separate post about new widebody schedules, and I'm hoping that they don't post those schedules capriciously.

All things considered, this is kind of nirvana for me. If you asked me what is the one thing I'd like AA to do, it would be to fly widebodies in both directions PHL-LAS. On the two trips I took in 2020 before the lockdown I was able to get that configuration, but I didn't see it as a regular thing. I may just pay the $190 here rather than fight it to the death because considering everything I feel totally ahead of the game.
In legal circles, it doesn't matter what you know or think you know, it is what can be proven. Also, if it's not intentional, then it is NOT bait & switch.
Things are pretty messed up right now, and I am sure they have ample documentation on what caused it to be planned for one type of equipment, and why it was decided to not fly that plane when it came time for you to travel. I understand the problem. I paid more to fly a 789 from DFW-DAL, so I could get the elite seating in PE. I then decided to use BusinessExtra points to upgrade to First Class seating.
Old Apr 18, 21, 2:06 am

What are people's opinions about what I should do?
Personally, I'd stop and remember that we're still in a pandemic that devastated the travel industry. I'd recognize the fact that one way airlines are trying to survive is by moving planes to match demand. I'm willing to give airlines and hotels more latitude until the world gets closer to being normal again.

As such, I wouldn't do anything because the airline is still taking me from point A to B to C in the cabin I booked.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 18, 21, 2:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Mine are pretty much a complete mess! Lots of downgrades from Business to Coach and packed seat plans.
Looking to refund some and then changing days to get better seats or back in the front cabin.
Old Apr 18, 21, 5:47 am

Programs: AA CK
Looks like the beginning of July changes are happening too. Several USA-LHR flights appear to have gotten the ax.
dcmike likes this.
Old Apr 18, 21, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
My 9:25 Pm Dfw-lhr flight was axed now I’m on the stupid and way too early 3:15 pm flight. No late flights anywhere except BA flights of course. Because this was a schedule change should AA honor my SWU I used and put me on the 9:55 PM BA flight in business instead?
same on the return. Now 10:15 AM rather than mid afternoon.

Last edited by enviroian; Apr 18, 21 at 6:11 am
Old Apr 18, 21, 7:38 am

Business class thankfully preserved on all segments. Though in one case, AA went from 2 to 1 nonstops to MBJ from DFW delaying my arrival by about 2.5 hours meaning too late for the beach the first day by the time I get to the resort.
Old Apr 18, 21, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
Have a JFK-CDG changed to a convenient JFK-DFW-CDG... Nonstop is only operating 4x now...

The shuttle flights BOS-LGA have been drastically reduced as well... that part I find odd... from hourly to only a few a day... what is up with that?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: