Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Beware, many flight changes as of 18 Apr 2021. (Did June schedule just go final?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Check your PNRs. April 18, 2021, AA announced the latest schedule changes, including:April 18, 2021

We will not resume service to the following destinations until Aug. 17 unless otherwise noted:

ATH – PHL
BCN – JFK
BCN – PHL
CDG – MIA
CDG – ORD
CDG –PHL
DUB – CLT
DUB – ORD (resumes July 2)
FCO – ORD
FCO – PHL
FRA – CLT
MAD – CLT (resumes July)
MAD – JFK (canceled June 3 – 16)
MAD – MIA (canceled June 3 – 16)
MAD – PHL (resumes July)

Additionally, our service to LHR will be reduced as follows:

LHR – PHX and LHR – RDU canceled through Aug. 16
LHR – DFW will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – ORD will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – JFK will operate once daily through June, then twice daily through Aug. 16
LHR – CLT will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – PHL will operate once daily through Aug. 16
LHR – LAX will operate once daily through Aug. 16

We will not operate the following routes and they will resume in Summer 2022

EDI – PHL
SNN – PHL
BCN – ORD
DUB – DFW

Finally, our HKG – DFW service is now planned to resume Oct. 30.

Also, see the discussion of domestic widebody flights added to the schedule:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-domestic-wide-body-summer-2021/

Print Wikipost

Beware, many flight changes as of 18 Apr 2021. (Did June schedule just go final?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:33 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Really? I booked it last week and there were way more flights... all vanished today.

They may have expanded the summer schedule and then pulled back...
AA (well, all the airlines) have just been publishing largely pre-pandemic schedules and cutting closer in... and in the process selling seats on flights they know are going to be cut. It’s definitely been annoying for people that want to book with some schedule certainty 2+ months in advance.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Refunds boil down to one of these events occurring:

1. Schedule change greater than 4 hours.
2. Nonstop changed to connection.
3. Operating carrier change (ie Mainline AA to AA Eagle)
4. Cancellations.

Equipment changes unsuitable to you (widebody to narrowbody) are no longer enough to qualify for a refund.

You can read more about the guidelines here: https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...40_Refunds.pdf
However, you can cancel for a credit at any point and rebook the flight of your choosing. Which is one positive.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dw
AA (well, all the airlines) have just been publishing largely pre-pandemic schedules and cutting closer in... and in the process selling seats on flights they know are going to be cut. It’s definitely been annoying for people that want to book with some schedule certainty 2+ months in advance.
Do you think that SEA-LHR flight will last on the schedule? Hell, did it even start yet?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are also daily threads alleging roughly the same on other carriers' boards.

RM/IM is messed up around the world. Nobody has a great handle on it and planning is thus affected. Add onto that the fact that changing restrictions, including local quarantines and limits on restaurants and the like, deeply affect demand.

Worse, when things go wrong, there are still fewer alternatives. That makes departures, connections & arrivals less solid.
PurdueFlyer and nk15 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Refunds boil down to one of these events occurring:

1. Schedule change greater than 4 hours.
2. Nonstop changed to connection.
3. Operating carrier change (ie Mainline AA to AA Eagle)
4. Cancellations.

Equipment changes unsuitable to you (widebody to narrowbody) are no longer enough to qualify for a refund.

You can read more about the guidelines here: https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...40_Refunds.pdf
I have an award itinerary that magically went from BOS - JFK - LHR to BOS - LGA...JFK - LHR. The award won't permit changes.
Looks like there are no mainline AA flights BOS - JFK now. BOS - LGA is on Eagle.

However, there are AA code shared flights on Jetblue metal between BOS - JFK. Based on criterion #3 above, are those permitted?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I got them to do it for a paid trip last year - I had to feed them the precise itinerary to get it to go through. Not sure if they will force an award ticket onto other metal (a code share might be your ace in the hole).
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do you think that SEA-LHR flight will last on the schedule? Hell, did it even start yet?
Surprisingly that’s already running (+ BA’s flight). I’d think the loads must be shockingly low right now.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Have 3 trips in June, really first time flying this year .... annnnd each of those are now misconnects with the first flights getting shifted 1-2 hours later and the second getting shifted 1 hour+ earlier. You would think they want it easier to be able to connect in hubs...
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not completely content to take this lying down. We all understand that in IRROPS an airline does what it has to do. But they are clearly selling seats on flights they know will never operate, even if they're not sure which flights exactly will be cut. Meanwhile pax are denied the opportunity to buy in advance at more favorable fares or shop the competition. This really isn't OK. It's not acceptable competitive behavior, it's not aligning the expectations of a ticket purchaser with the realities of the airline business.
enviroian and ComplexAnalysis like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by mvoight
In legal circles, it doesn't matter what you know or think you know, it is what can be proven. Also, if it's not intentional, then it is NOT bait & switch.
Things are pretty messed up right now, and I am sure they have ample documentation on what caused it to be planned for one type of equipment, and why it was decided to not fly that plane when it came time for you to travel. I understand the problem. I paid more to fly a 789 from DFW-DAL, so I could get the elite seating in PE. I then decided to use BusinessExtra points to upgrade to First Class seating.
This is clearly intentional. They are clearly intentionally offering flights they have no intention of flying. Regarding proof, the question is to what standard. If this were to be litigated to the nth degree (which it won't be) whomever sets and changes the schedules would be deposed, and presumably tell the truth under oath, about whether they intentionally sell tickets on flights they don't expect to operate, or whether they are "Shocked, shocked to find that demand doesn't align with projections." (For those who don't get the reference, google the phrase "Shocked, shocked to find that gambling is taking place.")

The solution is twofold: (a) A disclaimer at time of purchase that some flights may not operate as scheduled and (b) a vastly broadened change and cancellation policy permitting re-ticketing on any reasonable itin with no fare difference.

As I read through the rest of the thread, and the parallel thread on schedule changes, I realized I'm living a charmed life. Regarding my trips through mid-August, I get PHL-LAS widebodies in both directions. In one case it will cost me $190 to rebook, in two other cases it cost $22, and in one of those cases I was able to change an (eastbound) 6AM connection through LAX to a 10PM nonstop, which is vastly more desirable for me. Many other people are getting slammed much worse than I.

I called AA again. There was another change on my original itin. They cancelled the original connection and put me on a later one. My original itin was PHL-LAX 4:00 6:39 LAX-LAS 8:00 9:14. The new was PHL-LAX 3:55 6:37 LAX-LAS 8:50 10:07. They said that because I was now arriving later, they could move me to the nonstop which departs PHL at 6:55 and arrives LAS 9:07. So in the end I'm getting basically what I wanted and thought I had paid for, a PHL-LAS trip in F on B787 arriving around 9PM for what I originally paid. I'd have been content even if the NS was A321, because if they aren't flying 787's, they're not. Right now I'm actually pretty happy but I still feel really bad for other people who've gotten shafted.

Last edited by redtop43; Apr 18, 2021 at 12:48 pm Reason: Updated Information
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
I sympathize with your situation, but you have to keep in mind that AA employs some of the least intelligent network planning and revenue management staff out there. Even before Covid they struggled with basic demand forecasting, so imagine how lost they must be now.
This. I know people in Delta/United's network planning and/or revenue management, they've been there for years and know what they're doing. I know some great people who work at AA also in different departments who tell me their network/fleet planners are awful, not sure who the HR person responsible for hiring them is but they need to be booted ASAP.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:21 pm

My XNA-DCA non-stop cancelled on a Saturday.
Rebooked XNA-MIA-DCA for a 12 hour return with several hours in MIA.
Not sure why they didn't rebook via ORD, DFW or CLT with much shorter times.
I called in and no problem to change it but do check what the system chooses to protect you on. It may be far from the best option.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Really? I booked it last week and there were way more flights... all vanished today.

They may have expanded the summer schedule and then pulled back...
BOS-LGA/vv has been 3x daily (but 1x Saturday)

DCA-LGA/BOS has been 7x each, daily (but 3x Saturday and 6x Sunday)

They still have pre-covid schedules up for later in the year. They'll fix them closer in. That's just how they've rolled.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
All this nonsense is doing one thing: for insiders its confirming the fact that if you want, book -whatever- ticket you want that's anywhere close to your intended time and is the cheapest. When AA changes the flight schedules, you get a free shot to rebook the flight you really want.....
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Looks like AA dropped the DFW-GRU flights, which severely messed up a couples of reservations for me.
Correction, went to 3x weekly. Just not on days I can use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.