Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have experience with AA from HPN White Plains Westchester to Charlotte?

Does anyone have experience with AA from HPN White Plains Westchester to Charlotte?

Old Apr 17, 21, 3:35 am
Original Poster

On time record says 61% Have to connect in Charlotte to get to Orlando.
Old Apr 17, 21, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Past events are not too helpful for the future. If you miss the. Objection you’ll get put on the next flight.
Old Apr 17, 21, 4:59 am

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by dande36 View Post
On time record says 61% Have to connect in Charlotte to get to Orlando.
2 flights a day from HPN-CLT. Track record for both is pretty good over the past couple weeks.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...010Z/KHPN/KCLT
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...740Z/KHPN/KCLT
Old Apr 17, 21, 6:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Dont book too tight of a connection, the regionals are the first to sit and wait when there is heavy traffic. Also, you will land in the dreaded E gates, which can be a hike if CLT-MCO is mainline.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
Dont book too tight of a connection, the regionals are the first to sit and wait when there is heavy traffic. Also, you will land in the dreaded E gates, which can be a hike if CLT-MCO is mainline.
Time between planes is 1 hr 14 minutes. Currently holding a Delta ticket from HPN to MCO but have to go thru Atlanta for that one. Gets me home earlier though
Uzzar likes this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
It's still only a 15 minute walk max.
dande36, Uzzar and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 10:00 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
HPN CLT connections

I did HPN-CLT-TPA a couple of weeks ago RT. I too had between 75 to 90 minutes to connect each way. You will arrive CLT at the E gates which make for a bit of a walk if your connection is in the B or C gates. It can be done in 15 to 20 minutes.

Note you'll be flying on a CR-700 or CR-900 from and to HPN. This requires valet baggage check for all wheeled bags. You'll drop them inside the boarding gate and will need to wait for them planeside in CLT to continue your trip. This can add 10ish minutes before you can make your connection. I own and travel with a Redoxx Air Boss bag (no wheels) which fits in the small overhead - so I don't have to wait and lose the extra time when making a tight connection.

FWIW, on my trip about two weeks ago, my 75-90 minute connection both ways was long enough for a quick drink in the Admirals club before continuing to my next flight.

As long as the weather is ok you should make the connection in CLT. Good luck
dande36 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 11:01 am

Why not take a nonstop? HPN has them, usually on JetBlue. If the price isn't right, the city has plenty.
Old Apr 17, 21, 11:33 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by dande36 View Post
Time between planes is 1 hr 14 minutes. Currently holding a Delta ticket from HPN to MCO but have to go thru Atlanta for that one. Gets me home earlier though
I would not hesitate to book this connection. Plus, CLT-MCO is a large market: if you miss one you'll be put on the next. And if there is nothing available, they will probably route you CLT-MIA-MCO.
Old Apr 17, 21, 11:48 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not sure if this is helpful but AA also has a midday HPN-DCA-MCO routing.
Old Apr 17, 21, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I live in Westchester, work in CT, and can get to HPN in 15 minutes from home and from the office. It is a really convenient airport when things are working properly. But after being burned many times for cancelled flights with few/no alternatives i have sworn off of it for time sensitive trips. More than once- or twice- i have sat in the rooftop bar watching rounds of flights be delayed- and then canceled, and then trouped home as the trip was now a bust, surprising my wife (fortunately she was always alone .) The worst instance was a retirement dinner that i was supposed to host. I was scheduled to leave at noon, and didn't get off the ground. YMMV.
Old Apr 17, 21, 5:52 pm
was FlyEndeavourAir

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
I live in Westchester, work in CT, and can get to HPN in 15 minutes from home and from the office. It is a really convenient airport when things are working properly. But after being burned many times for cancelled flights with few/no alternatives i have sworn off of it for time sensitive trips. More than once- or twice- i have sat in the rooftop bar watching rounds of flights be delayed- and then canceled, and then trouped home as the trip was now a bust, surprising my wife (fortunately she was always alone .) The worst instance was a retirement dinner that i was supposed to host. I was scheduled to leave at noon, and didn't get off the ground. YMMV.
Yup when it works it's great, when it doesn't you wish you spent the money flying out of JFK/LGA or BDL.
Old Apr 18, 21, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nyc6035 View Post
I did HPN-CLT-TPA a couple of weeks ago RT. I too had between 75 to 90 minutes to connect each way. You will arrive CLT at the E gates which make for a bit of a walk if your connection is in the B or C gates. It can be done in 15 to 20 minutes.

Note you'll be flying on a CR-700 or CR-900 from and to HPN. This requires valet baggage check for all wheeled bags. You'll drop them inside the boarding gate and will need to wait for them planeside in CLT to continue your trip. This can add 10ish minutes before you can make your connection. I own and travel with a Redoxx Air Boss bag (no wheels) which fits in the small overhead - so I don't have to wait and lose the extra time when making a tight connection.

FWIW, on my trip about two weeks ago, my 75-90 minute connection both ways was long enough for a quick drink in the Admirals club before continuing to my next flight.

As long as the weather is ok you should make the connection in CLT. Good luck
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Why not take a nonstop? HPN has them, usually on JetBlue. If the price isn't right, the city has plenty.
Thanks for the heads up about the rolling bag. I did not know that. Changed to non stop Jet Blue into Orlando. Final destination was Daytona saving my husband from having to drive to Orlando. Booked a car service to pick me up in Orlando Appreciate the help

Search this Thread
Search Engine: