Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Why not have the items at the gate - so all passengers can purchase them before boarding?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Why not have the items at the gate - so all passengers can purchase them before boarding?
Perhaps with many leasing agreements with airports then AA would have to share some of the revenue from the vending with the airport, If it's at the gate... Versus within the admirals club.
Often1 and bryanb like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't agree. This is what happens when you let bean counters make decisions without having a Customer Experience, Strategy or Sales guy involved.

​​​​​I see this constantly at clients. In a narrow way, this may make revenue, but it completely ignores the experience and brand being offered.

​​​​​​There's a reason that the Four Seasons doesn't have coin operated vending machines in the lobby.
AC's have not been marketed for remotely purported exclusivity for years.

The sole judgment for AA is net revenue, not revenue. If there are people who will migrate to another carrier or stick with AA, but drop their AC membership, then that is a cost-benefit to the revenue derived from people who are both pleased by the choice and thus include it in their overall AA experience as a net positive, not to mention whatever revenue AA derives from the machine vendor contract itself.

I don't have access to AA's market research on this and perhaps it is malarkey. Perhaps not.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 22, 2021 at 10:52 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:52 am

I don't agree. This is what happens when you let bean counters make decisions without having a Customer Experience, Strategy or Sales guy involved.
​​​​​I see this constantly at clients. In a narrow way, this may make revenue, but it completely ignores the experience and brand being offered.
​​​​​​There's a reason that the Four Seasons doesn't have coin operated vending machines in the lobby.
i mean none of us really know if there was someone involved from Customer Experience, Strategy, or sales. I don't think the AC is trying to be the 4 Seasons, either. Not defending their decision to put them in, but just saying their presence doesn't automatically imply an "oops" happened here.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Yikes. I thought the SP proved in the late 1960s that automats and long distance travel just don't go together.
railmatt likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President

...perhaps a generational shift as well. While the wife and I prefer a sit down meal, my adult children and many of their friends seem to prefer "grab and go" food. The idea of service seems to be changing to how quickly one can help oneself.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Whether purchased or not, I do expect US lounges to offer more food and drinks to go. My fiancé remarked that she in a way preferred lounge service during the pandemic because everything is individually wrapped and easily packaged for takeaway. Drinks and snacks in the terminal are expensive and often unhealthy. Who knows when economy service will come back, and if first class service will be permanently cut. Being able to take out a bottle of water and half a sandwich onto the flight is a competitive advantage (whether you pay out of pocket or not is another question)
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all about attitudes towards service. Those who believe that self-serve machines are down-market and those who are thrilled that they never have to talk to someone to get a sandwich.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I saw one at DFW A Tuesday. I think it looks tacky and cheap. Whether you agree or disagree about the convenience of buying something there rather than Hudson News to me at least is moot. To me it says "wow AA you have cut out just about everything from this club now you're adding food and drink vending machines??".
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joelliot
...perhaps a generational shift as well. While the wife and I prefer a sit down meal, my adult children and many of their friends seem to prefer "grab and go" food. The idea of service seems to be changing to how quickly one can help oneself.
It isn't the action as much as the delivery. I'm a younger end millennial myself, and while I do appreciate faster food especially when in a rush, there is still a way to do it in a manner consistent with the atmosphere you want to project.

While the Admirals Club isn't as exclusive as it once supposedly was, you're still charging people 500 bucks a year to go there. If it's going to feel like a Hudson News, then why bother paying? Just go next door.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
i mean none of us really know if there was someone involved from Customer Experience, Strategy, or sales. I don't think the AC is trying to be the 4 Seasons, either. Not defending their decision to put them in, but just saying their presence doesn't automatically imply an "oops" happened here.
Given the repeat missteps AA has taken over the last 4 years, I'm leaning heavily towards "oops". Their complete failure to read the market on Project Oasis has only recently been displaced by the ESL Football breakaway attempt in terms of being out of touch with reality.

In my professional experience, I have seen these sort of decisions being made repeatedly and almost all of them are because one silo is making a P&L decision without looking at the bigger picture.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Tacky yes, but we've long passed "low rent"/"tacky" in the airline industry. It's just that the AC is the Wal Mart Neighborhood store (nicer floors, more check out lanes, better merchandise displays) while the terminal is the Wal Mart Super Center.
bryanb and gateH15 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Shall we cover the sides of it with wood paneling and leather with brass rivets? Will that appeal to your sensibilities?
onanisland and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Shall we cover the sides of it with wood paneling and leather with brass rivets? Will that appeal to your sensibilities?
while you're at it fill it with 40 ouncers of Mickey's.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
No disagreement, but you'd also likely agree that the value proposition otherwise of a Centurion Lounge vastly surpasses than of the AC.
starting in 2023 that will no longer be true. Thats when AMEX stops allowing guests with the primary platinum card holder. While centurion clubs are better than ACs, at least I can bring the family in to an Admirals Club. Also no time limit.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/04/09/...ges-from-2023/
LovePrunes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.