Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

New refrigerators filled with food for purchase at various admirals clubs

Old Apr 17, 2021, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Not the same. At all.
Stealing sandwiches is materially different than stealing the benefits of a membership? How exactly?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
Stealing sandwiches is materially different than stealing the benefits of a membership? How exactly?
I never said anything about stealing sandwiches, in fact I said swipe your card and grab a sandwich. Don't put words in my mouth.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:21 pm

Do not buy anything and they will be gone soon. If people purchase they will stay. Unbelievable how AA can find ways to grab our pax money
Spiff, enviroian and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
I never said anything about stealing sandwiches, in fact I said swipe your card and grab a sandwich. Don't put words in my mouth.
Oh I'm so sorry, you said buy a sandwich and steal a couple of drinks.

I'm so glad we're debating the semantics of this instead of accepting that it was a lousy suggestion.
chrisny2, tismfu, VSLover and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Apr 17, 2021 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Centurion
Do not buy anything and they will be gone soon. If people purchase they will stay. Unbelievable how AA can find ways to grab our pax money
Then buy them at a shop on the concourse, That'll teach AA. The machines will be gone and people who did want to purchase won't have the option. That'll teach the people who want to make their own choices.
onanisland likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
For the food part of this, how different is it really? The food for purchase they've always had at most locations was always optionally packed to go (and usually also at least partially pre-made), so the fact that these are just sealed by the same caterer instead of being packaged at the counter doesn't see worthy of all the outrage it's getting.

For the beverage side, I'm fine if they want to sell sodas to go. That's zero devaluation to me personally (I can still get free sodas everywhere I used to), and could save me another stop in the terminal if I actually needed to buy a bottled beverage somewhere. =shrug=
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Then buy them at a shop on the concourse, That'll teach AA. The machines will be gone and people who did want to purchase won't have the option. That'll teach the people who want to make their own choices.
Passengers made a choice to pay through the nose for the AC pass. In return, they need to pay extra for something they really should be given for the price they paid. Why are Americans such apologist, and why do Americans agree to such HORRIBLE customer service? As I said early on, such a thing would be unheard of among reputable airlines.

This is a tactic of the cheapest, most crude businesses. Are we flying American Airlines, or Ryanair/Air Asia? Right now, I do not see much of a difference between these 3.
Spiff, chrisny2, Etheereal and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:30 pm
Suspended

What price exactly is AA selling the drinks and sandwiches for, anyone know? If it's cheap enough (cheaper than the concourse) then it could work out, if it's around the same price/higher than it's not going to work out.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Let's be honest: I will bet that 90% of club members (be it United or Delta or American) have taken food or drinks out of the club. An apple, a banana, some Carrs water crackers, a cup full of Skittles or Starburst, their latte that they just got from the self-service barista machine. I grabbed a bagel and two little packs of grapes from the AC on Wednesday because I knew that I wasn't going to be offered a lick of food for the six-hour flight to LAX. Call it benign ignorance on the part of the housekeeping staff, the club manager and the front desk agents.

What you're not going to see the clubs do is make it easy peasy to take the items out of the club. You can take out your cup of Skittles, but the lid may come off and you have a trail of Skittles leading from the Club to gate C11. You can find a way to take a coffee cup full of Coke with lime flavoring out of the club, but it's a 10-ounce cup and it comes from a soda dispenser which costs about $0.20 for 10 ounces to dispense. That is Infinitely cheaper than a 20-ounce bottle of Cherry Coke which costs $0.50 a bottle. If you provided bottles, people are going to take bottles. Guaranteed. If you provide it through a dispenser, only a few will take the time to grab a 10-ounce cup to go.
Yeah, I routinely grabbed a bottle of water to go on my way out of Flagship Lounges. Didn't know there was any policy against that – no one ever batted an eye.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
As long as they have adequate complimentary food and drinks in the club, I have no issue with having an additional vending machine to sell things for people to grab and go.

Whether I will use that vending machine will depends on whether it is comparable in price to those sold in concourse, or comparable in price in a hotel minibar. $3 for a 20 oz bottle of coke? No problem. $6 for that? I will pass.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
There is no way in hell that I'm spending money on a 20oz soda in an AC.

It's bad enough that decent alcohol is an up-charge, but at least that's in line with the competitors.

I've been to ratty PP lounges that have complimentary bottled beverages.
chrisny2 and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I've been to ratty PP lounges that have complimentary bottled beverages.
Well sure, those lounges can't offer space to stretch out, peace and quiet, clean bathrooms, views of the ramp area, or expert rebooking help, so a moderately chilled can of coke or beer is about all they do offer But I do wonder where domestic lounges are heading. The criteria for accessing the FL have changed several times in recent years. Is that due to changes in leadership? Or can AA just not make up their mind how they want to divide passengers between the two lounges?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Originally Posted by _kurt
Well sure, those lounges can't offer space to stretch out, peace and quiet, clean bathrooms, views of the ramp area, or expert rebooking help
I disagree with you, I never had any type of paid lounge membership. Only priority pass, with my credit card. I have to say that they are equally super busy or silent depending on what day you come. When I got into an airlines lounge at LAX the first time with the priority pass it was a zoo and was very old and worn. Most PP lounges have had clean bathrooms and nice views. I think almost all the PP lounges had soda cans and wrapped food to go, I didn't know that the big 3 lounges were so super cheap you can't even take a can of soda! Another reason for me to skip paying for lounge membership!

I never needed expert rebooking but if you are an elite and needed assistance at a club- would they refuse to help you?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’ve noticed in the past week at clubs in both DFW and MIA that there appear to be new refrigerators in the clubs with self service food for purchase. It looks like you swipe your credit card and then some sort of camera system or something detects what you took and charges your card. Has anyone else noticed these and tried them? Was the food better than other options?
That's great that I can purchase a fridge filled with drinks, but how is that going to fit in the overhead compartment?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's great that I can purchase a fridge filled with drinks, but how is that going to fit in the overhead compartment?
And I can just imagine you trying to valet check it before getting onto a CRJ
njvandy and Etheereal like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.