Idiotic AAdvantage Routings

Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Idiotic AAdvantage Routings

It's bAAd enough that lower priced award frequently involve an unnecessary connection, but this one takes the cake. I just did a search for a MIA-MAO award and this is what came back!

Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I've seen a couple of these lately as well -- even for regular (non-AAdvantage) routings. It was really cheap to go HNL-CLT-PHX this summer, much cheaper than non-stop and a connection in LAX.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Sounds awesome. At least you have options!
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Check a paid flight to Fortaleza... I've done that a few times Miami, Manaus, Fortaleza. Super affordable in Y, and it's empty. Drop FOR if need be..
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan754
Check a paid flight to Fortaleza... I've done that a few times Miami, Manaus, Fortaleza. Super affordable in Y, and it's empty. Drop FOR if need be..
Isn't that violating hidden city rules?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
It's bAAd enough that lower priced award frequently involve an unnecessary connection, but this one takes the cake. I just did a search for a MIA-MAO award and this is what came back!

And a FLL-LAX flight in Neo to boot
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA should rebrand their FFP as the "carbon footprint express".
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Reminds me of a few years ago when I was trying to get to London. Options were MIA-CLT-LHR or CLT-MIA-LHR. No way to take the nonstop without the initial connection. Just plain wasteful. They can sell the seat on the connection. I know their intent, but isn’t that cutting off their nose to spite their face?

In your example, those unnecessary flights are losing revenue for them, so why inconvenience you? They’re still putting you on the last flight you want. They must believe that such inconvenience is going to cause you to buy a ticket. Problem is that you may buy on another airline.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:10 pm

I thought the thread title seemed harsh ... until I read the actual routings.
Temedar, plinth857, _kurt and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:40 pm

The choices normally are accept the convoluted routing, pay cash for the ticket, or win the 1,000,000 miles AAdvantage 40th Anniversary grand prize which may just cover two tickets on the non-stop flight.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Isn't that violating hidden city rules?
YEs. Fortaleza is on GOL and what if. Oops you got caught in customs or security and missed it. GOL will not care.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Not as crazy as this but I once did a few years back BDL-DCA-LGA-CLT-DAB all in one day, the only AAdvantage routing available. The AAgent who took my bag said "I've seen worse".
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I once did CVG-PHL-MSP-AMS-small UK airport on Delta/KLM and it was quite the day.

Worth the savings lol
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Don't you get a nice rest stop in LAX in a hotel bed,between flights?
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I guess I shouldnt feel so bad. My parents sent me to college on AAdvantage miles until I got really really good at the bump voucher game. The last AAdvantage reward redemption trip (which yielded two bump vouchers and an upgrade) had an original routing of ROA-RDU-MIA-SJC-LAX-SAN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.