Wiki Posts
Search

Current Transcon F/J service?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
In aviation, 7 years is a long time...
i know when i saw the most recent pics (from end of 2013) i thought to myself "WOW these are so old" then realised oh, it was only 2013. so its a mix of feelings.

but it did make me miss the sundae and the cold glass plate they'd serve the salads on in F along with the middle throne seat. lots of good memories on that plane. cant say i readily recall many great ones on the a321t's except thinking "wow they went cheap on the seat padding here huh?"
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've taken this flight 3 or 4 times in the past few months (I really prefer the 777 to the A321 in J.) It's far and above the best domestic flight in the system right now.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Weekend Transcon Experience

Just flew JFK-LAX in F on the 321T over the weekend (using BXP1 upgrade that cleared T-56). 1 and 1 seating and only 7 occupied F seats. Woodford on ice before takeoff; Rose Rock Pinot Noir to pair with the sea bass; Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon for dessert. Two espressos served before arrival.

Fastest six-hour flight ever. Received text message from gate agent when boarding commenced. Received telephone call from gate agent confirming I was headed to the gate. Awesome service on the ground and in the air. Congratulations, AA.
SFO777, DMPHL, haroon145 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by VSLover
i know when i saw the most recent pics (from end of 2013) i thought to myself "WOW these are so old" then realised oh, it was only 2013. so its a mix of feelings.

but it did make me miss the sundae and the cold glass plate they'd serve the salads on in F along with the middle throne seat. lots of good memories on that plane. cant say i readily recall many great ones on the a321t's except thinking "wow they went cheap on the seat padding here huh?"
No!!!! cheAAp as per Papa Parker's orders? I don't believe it, I just don't believe it lol
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
Just flew JFK-LAX in F on the 321T over the weekend (using BXP1 upgrade that cleared T-56). 1 and 1 seating and only 7 occupied F seats. Woodford on ice before takeoff; Rose Rock Pinot Noir to pair with the sea bass; Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon for dessert. Two espressos served before arrival.

Fastest six-hour flight ever. Received text message from gate agent when boarding commenced. Received telephone call from gate agent confirming I was headed to the gate. Awesome service on the ground and in the air. Congratulations, AA.
Did you feel it was a good use of a BXP1? I’m going with my wife, and deciding between using it here from J-F or LAX-MIA from Y to J
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Did you feel it was a good use of a BXP1? I’m going with my wife, and deciding between using it here from J-F or LAX-MIA from Y to J
It's a great use of a BXP1. But, if I had to choose, get out of Y and into J for the LAX-MIA segment.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
It's a great use of a BXP1. But, if I had to choose, get out of Y and into J for the LAX-MIA segment.
well I think the real choice for me is to use a Bxp1 vs miles-copay.

I just think without the First class jfk lounge, F on the 321 feels like J on the 772 plus an espresso
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
well I think the real choice for me is to use a Bxp1 vs miles-copay.

I just think without the First class jfk lounge, F on the 321 feels like J on the 772 plus an espresso
.....not if the 772 has the Zodiac seating configuration.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:21 am

sorry this is not specific to current service but i didnt want to start a new thread for a basic question:

since its been a while (bc of covid) i forgot what the difference is between the evening flight meals in F-- what is lost going on a later "snack" service v dinner in F? (normal times, not covid service)

Last edited by VSLover; May 6, 2021 at 7:59 am
Old May 6, 2021, 6:19 pm

since its been a while (bc of covid) i forgot what the difference is between the evening flight meals in F-- what is lost going on a later "snack" service v dinner in F? (normal times, not covid service)
As I recall (this was J but F is probably very similar), the premium transcon "snack" was like a normal midcon domestic F meal -- mostly served on one tray, with preplated dessert (no sundae option). Still plenty of food.

Here is a pre-Covid review of LAX-JFK redeye F showing example late-night menu and food.
VSLover likes this.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; May 6, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
As I recall (this was J but F is probably very similar), the premium transcon "snack" was like a normal midcon domestic F meal -- mostly served on one tray, with preplated dessert (no sundae option). Still plenty of food.

Here is a pre-Covid review of LAX-JFK redeye F showing example late-night menu and food.
Thanks for the reminder since its been years since I've done a redeye--but youre right--it was plenty of food. Was just a bit concerned as my connection is only 55min so wont have time to eat in flagship dining before my late evening flight.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the reminder since its been years since I've done a redeye--but youre right--it was plenty of food. Was just a bit concerned as my connection is only 55min so wont have time to eat in flagship dining before my late evening flight.
For me, I would intentionally book a long layover at LAX.

Back to the days for a 9pm/10:30pm transcon F, I would arrive at the airport between 6pm and 7pm (it's LAX's off-peak time -- not too many cars at curbside and empty TSA), ample time for a multi-course dinner and a few flutes of Krug at FFD, some work done and a shower. Then I'll just sleep all the way through the flight and, if there's time, have a nice breakfast at JFK FFD. Food quality @ FFD is much higher than whatever was served onboard. From my memory (based on menu), redeye J and F serve very similar food, if not the exact same, with exceptions of upgraded beverage offerings and quicker service in F.

Ah the good old days. Honestly if FFD never gets reopened I would not consider FFirst.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
For me, I would intentionally book a long layover at LAX.

Back to the days for a 9pm/10:30pm transcon F, I would arrive at the airport between 6pm and 7pm (it's LAX's off-peak time -- not too many cars at curbside and empty TSA), ample time for a multi-course dinner and a few flutes of Krug at FFD, some work done and a shower. Then I'll just sleep all the way through the flight and, if there's time, have a nice breakfast at JFK FFD. Food quality @ FFD is much higher than whatever was served onboard. From my memory (based on menu), redeye J and F serve very similar food, if not the exact same, with exceptions of upgraded beverage offerings and quicker service in F.

Ah the good old days. Honestly if FFD never gets reopened I would not consider FFirst.
i'd love to book a long layover (this is at JFK) but my flight schedule does not work that day to allow as such. i enjoy the ground experience and my wine so usually afford myself plenty of time!

as for red-eyes generally--my days are over. my body hates them and generally i have no reason to do them other than coming home to the UK...which is why im in F--for the privacy and the BA tier points
Old May 8, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just to note that currently, even if you had plenty of time to eat in Flagship Dining, you wouldn't be able to, as FFD and the Flagship Lounge are closed, instead operating as an Admirals Club.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Some recent data points - specifically on the LAX - MIA red eye (11:45PM). This was in J on 77W a few days ago.

They served the usual dinner options despite showing online as brunch. No PBD but a pretty efficient crew.

Oddly enough the menus were printed on office paper vs. the normal card stock. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.