Better connection for free?

Old Apr 10, 21, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
Better connection for free?

I feel like I should know this but I don't so I will ask.

If there are seats available on an earlier flight for my second leg of a two leg trip will they let me get on board?

I want to fly to Vegas from PWM. I can get a decent price but there is a 5 hour layover in CLT. There is another flight leaving CLT 4 hours earlier but that is quite a bit more.
If I book the later flight and get to the gate in CLT and they have room on the earlier flight would they re-book me on that flight if I ask nicely? I'm always nice anyway BTW.

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 21, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why not: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp.
DennyO likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
So it appears that if I request to change standby, I can do so without a fee and without paying the difference in fares. Sweet!
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:15 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by DennyO View Post
So it appears that if I request to change standby, I can do so without a fee and without paying the difference in fares. Sweet!
There are two types of same-day flight changes: a confirmed change and standby.

You can make a confirmed change for $75 (fee waived with PRO, EXP, or Alaska 75K status) up to 24 hours before the new flight. This will change your reservation to the new flight and you can select seats on the new flight. See this FlyerTalk thread.

You can fly standby on an earlier flight for free. You can use the app to do this or just ask at the gate for the new flight, and it will put you on the standby list which the gate agent will clear before/while they board the flight. You will get whatever seat you get. See this FlyerTalk thread.

In neither case can you change your connection point, e.g. flying through ORD instead of CLT is not allowed. Remember that rerouting due to flight delays operates under looser rules which do allow routing changes and a lot more flexibility when you talk to an agent.
DennyO likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: