Unable to check in at JFK - help!

Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Unable to check in at JFK - help!

I'm currently at QR check in at JFK, attempting to check in for an AAdvantage redemption JFK-DOH-MLE in U class. QR is telling me that AA made a mistake with my wife's booking on the second leg of our itinerary and they are unable to check her in.

They say we must call AA to fix it, but the wait is more than 2 hours on the EXP line and 4 hours on the regular number. I sent AA a DM on Twitter.

Any other advice? Thanks in advance
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
I'm currently at QR check in at JFK, attempting to check in for an AAdvantage redemption JFK-DOH-MLE in U class. QR is telling me that AA made a mistake with my wife's booking on the second leg of our itinerary and they are unable to check her in.

They say we must call AA to fix it, but the wait is more than 2 hours on the EXP line and 4 hours on the regular number. I sent AA a DM on Twitter.

Any other advice? Thanks in advance
Assuming you have your boarding pass, go through security and ask the Admirals Club agents to help. After problem is fixed and ticket is reissued, call/text wife to go to ticket counter to check in.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Go through security and ask the Admirals Club agents to help.
I wish I could but AC closes at 8pm during the pandemic
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Try calling one of AA's overseas numbers: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...et-changes.jsp

I've never tried this with AA, but have great success with it trying to reach BA. The Asia/Pacific numbers should be in daytime operations now...
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Ouch. Would QR issue her BP to DOH and then you can sort it out there when you have time to contact AA to get them to fix the problem?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Also, if you paid with Amex their travel services may be able to help...
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Muckus
Try calling one of AA's overseas numbers: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...et-changes.jsp
I've never tried this with AA, but have great success with it trying to reach BA. The Asia/Pacific numbers should be in daytime operations now...
Try Australia
+61 2 9101 1948

There is an AAdvantage prompt, I believe its "press 3".
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Try Australia
+61 2 9101 1948
There is an AAdvantage prompt, I believe its "press 3".
Local time/date AU eastern states 13:27 Saturday 10 April
My understanding it will(may) get answered by people in Fiji or South Africa
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I just called the EXP line and got an agent in about 10 seconds. Maybe try calling again?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Good suggestion re the Australia line we're still waiting on hold with them too (QR agent using her personal phone to call). Check in desk closes in 17 minutes and looks increasingly likely we will miss our flight. What a nightmare.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Good suggestion re the Australia line we're still waiting on hold with them too (QR agent using her personal phone to call). Check in desk closes in 17 minutes and looks increasingly likely we will miss our flight. What a nightmare.
Assume you are at Terminal 8 JFK--seems like AA ticket counter/Priority Check-in woud be the place to start if you are already at the airport (and it's an AA-issued ticket). Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully OP’s silence is good news and he is on his way to the gate.

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Assume you are at Terminal 8 JFK--seems like AA ticket counter/Priority Check-in woud be the place to start if you are already at the airport (and it's an AA-issued ticket). Good luck!
Would it even be open at this hour? Are there any AA departures this late?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU everyone for your kind suggestions and in particular those of you who suggested calling Australia. They answered at 11:52 and reticketed Mrs. Njvandy at 11:58, just two minutes before baggage cutoff. Not a single AAgent to be found in the airport, not even baggage claim.

We are sitting in our Q suites about to take off, very grateful for the FT community!
seawolf, NYC Flyer, 1P and 65 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THANK YOU everyone for your kind suggestions and in particular those of you who suggested calling Australia. They answered at 11:52 and reticketed Mrs. Njvandy at 11:58, just two minutes before baggage cutoff. Not a single AAgent to be found in the airport, not even baggage claim.

We are sitting in our Q suites about to take off, very grateful for the FT community!
Awesome news! So glad you made it. Enjoy your flights and Maldives.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:39 pm

Fantastic! Safe travels!
GlobalMatt and SFO777 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.