AAdvantage 40th Anniversary Contest

Old Apr 5, 21, 12:52 am
Original Poster

AAdvantage 40th Anniversary Contest

The AA App on my phone offered a promo for the AAdvantage 40th Anniversary, but it errors out when I try to login into the website.

Looks like some sort of contest.
Old Apr 5, 21, 12:54 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Errors out for me too
ranran likes this.
Old Apr 5, 21, 4:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
AAdvantage 40th Anniversary - Contest Details Breakdown / Extend your miles

Posting a synopsis of this new AA contest we weren't expecting as I had a former habit of entering contests often and winning a lot of them, the top or near top prize. I have taken a long hiatus but recently decided to chase one, and indeed I won, free faux-meat chicken nuggets for a year, ha! Anyhow, the contest AA is running follows a standard set of patterns/rules/constructs I've seen many times. The bad news? No easy or surefire way to win a good prize. The good news? Most people will win something if they play a few times, at least some free miles worth a few bucks to extend their account if AA isn't your primary program.

The game: https://www.aadvantage40th.com/

The dates: April 5 to May 3rd, split into 4 phases but that just distinguishes some prizes they have, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The prizes: 40 people will win a million AA miles, and one other will win a nice little Florida trip. Thousands and thousands will win miles, discount codes, and more through AA's partners and earning opportunities, to celebrate of course!!!
Here's a full list: https://americanairlines.promo.epriz...ment/rules.pdf

The way it works: Essentially, every time you lose you get a sweepstakes entry, and you can earn extras by doing tasks like sharing to social media (often you can share or make the effort to begin to share to a customized group of just yourself or contest / travel happy friends... or less). These will be pooled into a massive jar, where your odds can be as high as 75/however many entries they get, times 40. Aka, low, like many contests... they can't give away the value of $22k prizes to everyone! BUT... there are lots of mini prizes... some fun ones too like Admirals club memberships, single day passes, $20 debit cards, 4000 or 400 miles, and then some ok ones, like discount codes, coupons and offers. I'd say if you play daily and do all the tasks, you'll win several of these, some better than others. There's a lot more coupons than yearly Admiral memberships, of course. The mini prizes are awarded based on a time stamp, so no matter what silly activity you play, the reality is a computer will say if you won or lost based on if you were the first person to play after a prize was opened up by the clock... i.e. random hypothetical example, the first Admiral yearly membership was set for 4:05 am EST, and whoever plays at 405 first, or after it, should receive this win.

Best way to win? Enter daily (midnight EST for this game) and make sure you're eligible (USA-50 citizen and not working for or related to an AA or contest sponsor company) and not cheating by making a bunch of emails. Do all of the tasks. I'd post screenshots and additional explanations but as of 6 am EST, the game still seems to be broken. Whoever plays it first should get a good prize.... they're time stamped! The game should have started 6 hours ago.

I don't mind editing as more details come to light when I wake up (night owl here in Los Angeles) - again - the game is currently down for me and I think everyone.
kochleffel likes this.
Old Apr 5, 21, 5:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage PPro, LT Gold
For me too.
Old Apr 5, 21, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nall View Post
The AA App on my phone offered a promo for the AAdvantage 40th Anniversary, but it errors out when I try to login into the website.

Looks like some sort of contest.
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Errors out for me too
Originally Posted by Reima View Post
For me too.
Probably shouldn't launch something big during a major holiday weekend
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:26 am

The game is live now. Won 40 miles 6 times (so a total of 240 miles). Yay, I guess.
Markie and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:30 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
It would be more interesting to me if the prize was EQDs.

I have more than enough miles to not be able to use for the present
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Where on the app does this promotion appear? I don't see it on my (iPhone) app. Even the Promotions page doesn't show it for me.
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Where on the app does this promotion appear? I don't see it on my (iPhone) app. Even the Promotions page doesn't show it for me.
I don't see it on the app either. I went onto the desk top version and when I clicked on the promotion I got an error that the page couldn't be reached/wasn't available.
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
I don't see it on the app either. I went onto the desk top version and when I clicked on the promotion I got an error that the page couldn't be reached/wasn't available.
Same here. I went to my laptop and got the error message when I spun the globe.

Old Apr 5, 21, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite the Error, I received an email that says I earned 40 miles for each spin.

Old Apr 5, 21, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT
My first seven "Globe Spins" have earned me 40 (forty!) AA miles each. Yay!

Seems very similar (in spirit) to the annual Starbucks for Life and similar contests.
Old Apr 5, 21, 8:48 am

I got 3 Main Cabin Extra seat upgrades and 80 miles and the wife won 1680 miles. Can't complain!
Old Apr 5, 21, 9:07 am

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
My three for today: Preferred seat upgrade. Avis one class upgrade plus 500 extra miles. USD40 dining spend gives extra 1000 miles.
onanisland likes this.
Old Apr 5, 21, 9:09 am

Here is a blog article from Awardwallet explaining it - but I think this is only for US residents

American AAdvantage Million-Mile Sweepstakes - AwardWallet Blog

Search this Thread
Search Engine: