Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage 40th Anniversary Contest

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by slpybear
So, I received an email on Wednesday (6/2/2021) notifying me that I won an Admirals Club Membership for a year. I submitted my declarations form and they Contest company values it at $650 for taxes. Seems fair since that is the price to purchase.

Should hear back in a bit if everything on the declarations is good to go, then 8 to 10 weeks until I see that in my wallet on aa.com.

Travel is starting back soon at work, so that is a prize that will come in handy.
Seems like many people have been declining prizes (especially this one), so they’re redistributing them
Old Jun 5, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I hope I won something
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
$650 is a fair valuation if you are not a current member and have no status.
Hopefully it would be valued lower for elites and/or current members
To me, I think it is worth the tax I would have to pay at price if valued at what I would have to pay for a membership
(No state income tax here)
uxb and Spanish like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
$650 is a fair valuation if you are not a current member and have no status.
Hopefully it would be valued lower for elites and/or current members
To me, I think it is worth the tax I would have to pay at price if valued at what I would have to pay for a membership
(No state income tax here)
With the credit card offering membership for $450, I would think that one could easily reduce the valuation to that for tax purposes...
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:27 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
With the credit card offering membership for $450, I would think that one could easily reduce the valuation to that for tax purposes...
Clicked on thinking miles might be dropping early but of course instead this is a second award cycle for prizes that were refused.

The $450 value makes complete sense but if it triggers an audit you have won the battle but lost the war. I have, knock wood, no idea what garners IRS attention, but in that the 1099 wouldn’t match the return my angst over increased scrutiny wouldn’t be worth the less than a $100 swing. YMMV. I would have also turned this prize down...if my wife won it.

If we were arguing over the value of a million miles that would be a whole different thing.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:17 pm

As of right now, we are 6 weeks since the contest finished up. Has anyone gotten their prizes deposited yet?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by brabb12
As of right now, we are 6 weeks since the contest finished up. Has anyone gotten their prizes deposited yet?
Nothing yet, IIRC it was 8-10 weeks after the promo when we can expect to see our prizes show up.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Nothing yet, IIRC it was 8-10 weeks after the promo when we can expect to see our prizes show up.
This is the 21st century. Nothing should take 8 weeks.
corky, yanxfann and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JFKATC
You seem to forget that AA is operating a Commodore 64, with a Kaypro as a backup. 8 weeks is par for the course.
SFO777, uxb, Burj and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by brabb12
only the Hyatt “coupon”
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by JFKATC
One would think those would post instantly but the bizarre 8 weeks was listed in the T&C during the promo.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
You seem to forget that AA is operating a Commodore 64, with a Kaypro as a backup. 8 weeks is par for the course.
Don't make fun of my first computer. Today's gamers will never get the experience of copying many lines of hex out of a computer magazines to get a game onto the C-64.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:14 am

Having done similar programs to these in the past, it's not a difficult process. The contest vendor simply hands AA a file with some very basic info... something like:
- Name: John Doe
- AAdvantage # 1234556
- Prize: 6,000 miles

AA receives it and uploads it.

So... 3 theories on the delay could be:
1) There's a data error on the vendor side which they are dealing with
2) They have provided the file to AA and AA is just sitting on it until the last minute, which is within their rights based on the rules
3) There was a flaw in the contest (i.e. perhaps too many miles were given out) and they are figuring out how to reconcile
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:18 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by dave_261
Having done similar programs to these in the past, it's not a difficult process. The contest vendor simply hands AA a file with some very basic info... something like:
- AAdvantage # 1234556

2) They have provided the file to AA and AA is just sitting on it until the last minute, which is within their rights based on the rules
3) There was a flaw in the contest (i.e. perhaps too many miles were given out) and they are figuring out how to reconcile
I have been a member in the programme for over 20 years, and I've never known AA to post miles BEFORE a given deadline during promotions like this one. Expect it by 12 July.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by dave_261
- AAdvantage # 1234556

they may want to take some time to manually look for fraud, abuse, misuse, etc.
johnndor and bosman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.