FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   $30,000 EQD waiver met (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2037257-30-000-eqd-waiver-met.html)

ranran Apr 4, 2021 6:05 pm

$30,000 EQD waiver met

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...845fd36bb.jpeg

ranran Apr 4, 2021 6:17 pm

Fingers crossed that AA extends to the EP level.

radonc1 Apr 4, 2021 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ranran (Post 33152024)
Fingers crossed that AA extends to the EP level.

I think that they have been crystal clear that this exemption will be good up to Plat pro only.

However, it is nice to dream, but I spent less than $2000 for my 60K miles to achieve plat pro. I just think they are not willing to devalue ExPlat to that level, IMO :o

mvoight Apr 4, 2021 11:55 pm

Why $30K? Isn't $15K the standard EQD requirement for EXP?

donotblink Apr 5, 2021 12:09 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 33152570)
Why $30K? Isn't $15K the standard EQD requirement for EXP?

it’s $30,000 of cobrand credit card spending on anything to not needing to meet EQDs for all tiers except EXP and CK.

radonc1 Apr 5, 2021 7:40 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33152586)
it’s $30,000 of cobrand credit card spending on anything to not needing to meet EQDs for all tiers except EXP and CK.

I just relooked at my account.

I would need only 18k EQMs to reach ExPlat, but almost 9800 EQDs :eek:

That is a cliff that I am unable to scale, so I will take the crumbs that AA dealt and be happy with Platpro ;)

LlamaJesus Apr 5, 2021 8:09 am

I just wish I could spend $30k in 3 months without maxing out my credit or emptying my savings! :(

enviroian Apr 5, 2021 8:25 am

Wonder why EXP's got stiffed in this EQD promo. Kind of sucks.

cmtlatitudes Apr 5, 2021 8:59 am

When I read these threads, I always feel like I'm missing something. Excepting people who are still flying frequently for business, how are folks making Plat Pro EQM (for example) requirements but struggling with EQD requirements? It baffles me, because I end up in the opposite situation. EQD is rarely the problem for me, I usually qualify a level or two above where I need to be on EQDs, but meeting the EQMs remains stubbornly elusive. Flying 3-5 times a year to the Caribbean, and a couple of misc. mainland domestic flights, making the EQM requirements for anything but Gold is a stretch. That's even with always purchasing tickets up front, with the 2X EQM bonus. Usually I have to add in a trip to Hawaii or Europe, with purchasing a more costly full fare ticket that I wouldn't need to otherwise, because I still need the 3x EQM bonus to make the numbers.

I'm on target to make the 30,000 EQD credit card spend this year, but sadly it probably won't make any difference. Even with reduced EQM requirements. They just aren't reduced enough, given the limited open destinations, and the testing hoops that make last minute or shorter pleasure trips untenable.

tomj888 Apr 5, 2021 10:02 am

Understanding how the Elite qualifying game is played and better yet, how to play the game takes time. Co-branded credit cards help alleviate some of the requirements. I have a business need for using my credit card, so as part of my business, I will blow past the $30K. As one of the other posts mentioned, it still will be harder to get to 80K with many international borders still being closed until the last half of the year if then. At the end of the day, thru this forum I have educated myself enough to use the tools available to me to reduce, flying and spend. a few years that knowledge has saved me money and trips and most important time in a metal tube.

chris8796 Apr 5, 2021 10:25 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33153348)
That's even with always purchasing tickets up front, with the 2X EQM bonus. Usually I have to add in a trip to Hawaii or Europe, with purchasing a more costly full fare ticket that I wouldn't need to otherwise, because I still need the 3x EQM bonus to make the numbers.

I'm on target to make the 30,000 EQD credit card spend this year, but sadly it probably won't make any difference. Even with reduced EQM requirements. They just aren't reduced enough, given the limited open destinations, and the testing hoops that make last minute or shorter pleasure trips untenable.

If you are primarily flying paid J, why do you care? There is no lounge access in the US and Carib and no need for upgrades. The only advantage is more RDM.

cmtlatitudes Apr 5, 2021 10:48 am

Originally Posted by chris8796 (Post 33153587)
If you are primarily flying paid J, why do you care? There is no lounge access in the US and Carib and no need for upgrades. The only advantage is more RDM.

The additional Elite award miles are a pretty big deal, especially without a steady stream of business travel coming in. Also, Elite status provides additional protections and assistance in problem resolution, while traveling on AA issued Partner Award tickets. Granted, the latter is only an intangible assessment on my part and not guaranteed by any means. It has seemed to me to be the case though.

Herb687 Apr 5, 2021 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by chris8796 (Post 33153587)
If you are primarily flying paid J, why do you care?

I know I sure don't!

And like the poster to which you were replying, I always wound up with what would have been a higher status based on EQD than based on EQM. Even with the introduction of EQDs, airline loyalty programs still haven't totally come around to incenting dollars spent as opposed to miles flown.

D3Kingg Apr 5, 2021 3:09 pm

Does the 30K on your AAdvantage card need to post by December 31st ? What if I spend the 30K in December but my monthly credit card statement closes on January 12,2021 and doesn’t post to my AA account until then ? Would i still qualify ?
I’m thinking of changing my closing statement days to the 27th of each month just in case it comes down to the wire. Then the EQDs would post by the 29th.

radonc1 Apr 5, 2021 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33153348)
When I read these threads, I always feel like I'm missing something. Excepting people who are still flying frequently for business, how are folks making Plat Pro EQM (for example) requirements but struggling with EQD requirements? It baffles me, because I end up in the opposite situation. EQD is rarely the problem for me,

The answer is easy.
When you are doing routine weekly RTs to LAX from the midwest, and the Y fare is $125-150 but the EQD is only $100 (the rest being taxes and fees), it takes a lot of RTs to get to $9000. :eek:

When you are only allowed to book Y, then what you get is 60K EQM and 2000 EQD. Add in the credit card exclusion and I am a Plat pro. I could easily get the final 20K EQM to reach ExPlat but it will be impossible to make the final 8000 EQD.

I can live with that.