Upgrade policy with Same Day Change

Old Apr 2, 21, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Upgrade policy with Same Day Change

I did a SDC to an earlier flight Las-Dfw today. I didnít see my name on the upgrade list 5 hours out and called AA and they assured me I was. Now at the gate one hour before departure and see I was finally added. There were 4 F seats available and they were all released to the first 4 people on the list one hour late. When I was added to the list Iím now #3 on the list but two people below me were cleared.

I asked the gate agent and she says ďyou were added late. When you are added late you lose your priority.Ē

I am infuriated. Is this correct??
Old Apr 2, 21, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update I was upgraded but it was because a plane swap. I’m on a 321 with 20 F not 16 as planned. I asked the gate agent again about SOP and she told me she cleared the original 4 people on the list an hour out to save time.

so my question to FT is if we had the original plane is the GA supposed to un-upgrade someone to accommodate someone who is higher on the upgrade list?

AA Twitter confirms I was added to the upgrade list at 7:57 AM today (1pm flight). GA says she didn’t see me on the list until t-30.

what IS sop?
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
when u did the SDC, how long did u wait to checkin? If you didnít wait 5-10 min to allow ur upgrade request to populate in the system, it will show in the res system but not in the airport system and u have to be added by the airport.

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Update I was upgraded but it was because a plane swap. Iím on a 321 with 20 F not 16 as planned. I asked the gate agent again about SOP and she told me she cleared the original 4 people on the list an hour out to save time.

so my question to FT is if we had the original plane is the GA supposed to un-upgrade someone to accommodate someone who is higher on the upgrade list?

AA Twitter confirms I was added to the upgrade list at 7:57 AM today (1pm flight). GA says she didnít see me on the list until t-30.

what IS sop?
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
when u did the SDC, how long did u wait to checkin? If you didnít wait 5-10 min to allow ur upgrade request to populate in the system, it will show in the res system but not in the airport system and u have to be added by the airport.
I checked in right after I did the SDC. Note to self wait next time.

what about being added late? If the GA waited to process upgrades at T-5 like they always do I wouldnít even be writing this thread.
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EP
IDK. Technically canít gate agent start processing anytime they want?

I checked in right after I did the SDC. Note to self wait next time.

what about being added late? If the GA waited to process upgrades at T-5 like they always do I wouldnít even be writing this thread.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
IDK. Technically canít gate agent start processing anytime they want?
I guess my question is if an exp gets added late does an already cleared lower on list get un-upgraded.
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:44 pm

I guess my question is if an exp gets added late does an already cleared lower on list get un-upgraded.
I suspect if they did that there would be a thread on here complaining about people who'd had that done to them... I don't think it works that way if you do SDC
Uzzar likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Of course not.

Just like if an EXP buys a ticket 2 hours prior to departure but the system has already upgraded a few GLD's and PLT's via the normal process at 72/24 hours, AA doesn't go un-upgrade one of these GLD/PLT's just because an EXP was added to the list right before departure.
Often1, ijgordon and BWISkyGuy like this.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Apr 2, 21 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 2, 21, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or a PLT was upgraded at T-24 and an EXP either buys a ticket or SDC's at T-23.
Old Apr 2, 21, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
My experience is very limited for same day flight change, but i think they followed procedures correctly (whether you were added correctly to the list originally is a whole other topic). As EXP it has been rare for me to get an upgrade on SDFC because even golds have already been upgraded at that point. I don't think they will kick anyone back out of F because someone higher was added after the fact.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Yeah, getting added to the upgrade list post-SDC is always a nightmare. If you can wait a while before you check in, do so. Otherwise, if you check in and don't show up on the list, swing by an airport check in kiosk ASAP and add yourself there.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
SOP = "Standard Operating Procedure"

I think we can all agree that no one, once upgraded, should be downgraded just because someone higher in the pecking order appeared. However, this is part of why relatively few upgrades clear when the window opens.

A year or two ago I was flying PHL-LAX-LAS on a paid F ticket. My flight to LAX got in early and I was able to get to the gate on an earlier connection than the one I was ticketed on, about 25 minutes before flight time. LAX-LAS is a short flight and all elites are eligible for complimentary upgrades. However they still had F seats, well, at least one. So in that case they may have been holding upgrades even closer than 25 minutes to departure.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Apr 3, 21, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My understanding from GAs if there's open seats the GA has latitude in when they can start to process upgrades. Some will process them immediately while some will wait to near boarding time. Where they don't have latitude is when someone with an F seat hasn't checked in yet. I believe the system locks them out on processing that seat(s) for upgrades until about T-30. Despite online check in there's no shortage of people showing up at the airport at T-40 heading over to a kiosk to check in.

However, in the case of the latter where I've been number one on the list and someone hasn't checked in the GA will sometimes call me to the podium and ask that I don't board because at T-30 they will have a seat for me. I had one GA at PHX actually call out a count down to me.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 3, 21, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW Iíve never seen a gate agent process upgrades at T-60.

Last edited by enviroian; Apr 3, 21 at 8:41 am
Old Apr 3, 21, 7:15 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
FEIW I’ve never seen a gate agent process upgrades at T-60.
I do not know if a gate agent did it or not, but I can remember few times I was uopgraded about T-60. One occation I remember this because I was sitting at AC and around T-60 AA app on my cell phone indicated that seat change. I did not pay attention and did not realize I was upgraded, I thought what the &^%# seat change this close to the flight? I walked up to the AAngel to ask, she printed new boarding pass for me and saw it was First Class... Kind of little embarrased that I did not realize it was an upgrade clearing.
BWISkyGuy and donotblink like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: