Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade policy with Same Day Change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
A couple weeks ago I was flying (can’t even remember where), and just before boarding there was still an F seat available for purchase via aa.com. I went to board with group 2, she scanned my boarding pass, and then I asked, “Did all the first class seats fill up?” She gave me a funny look, checked, and replied, “There is still one left... why didn’t you come up earlier?”

I told her I was just trying to be patient, waiting for her to clear the upgrades. I took my new boarding pass and went on my way.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian
I guess my question is if an exp gets added late does an already cleared lower on list get un-upgraded.
They don't even un-upgrade people when I'm in paid F and my flight has been cancelled or delayed and I need to be re-booked. This is actually something I wish they would do as I'm often with my wife and or family and one of us (meaning me if my wife is with me) or more end up being in the back or flying a different day. Unpopular opinion but since I'm usually on paid F, I wish all upgrades would be handled at the gate or be willing to bump people out if a paid F customer needs the seat. Logistically probably a nightmare and those who got bumped out would likely be unhappy. Later I wouldn't really care about.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Last week I flew VSP/DFW (E 175) and the entire F cabin was open until about T-50 when about 4 upgrades cleared, mine being number one. About 5 minutes before boarding the remainder cleared and the F cabin went out full.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian
I guess my question is if an exp gets added late does an already cleared lower on list get un-upgraded.
AA has done this for me countless of times as a CK so perhaps they would do it for high-yield EXPs too
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Uzzar
My experience is very limited for same day flight change, but i think they followed procedures correctly (whether you were added correctly to the list originally is a whole other topic). As EXP it has been rare for me to get an upgrade on SDFC because even golds have already been upgraded at that point. I don't think they will kick anyone back out of F because someone higher was added after the fact.
Think you are spot on.

AA uses this exact wording to notify a AAdvantage member they have been upgraded "Great news! Your upgrade is confirmed ". Since AA confirmed it- not a normal process to take it back.....
Uzzar likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
SOP = "Standard Operating Procedure"

I think we can all agree that no one, once upgraded, should be downgraded just because someone higher in the pecking order appeared. However, this is part of why relatively few upgrades clear when the window opens.
<snipped>
I think we don't all agree................ Of course, since I never pay for first class, I would like to keep the upgrade if I had received it already, but I do understand why someone who paid for a first class seat should expect it over upgraders, if they had an irrop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.