Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:46 pm

Looking for some answers on checked baggage as a PlatPro flying AS. Does the 3 checked bags apply to everyone on the same PNR or just me as the member? TIA!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by reinmedia
Looking for some answers on checked baggage as a PlatPro flying AS. Does the 3 checked bags apply to everyone on the same PNR or just me as the member? TIA!
I flew AS to ANC in 2021 and it applied to all on the PNR.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador, AA Gold
I never done this before so I will ask. If I book an AS flight on the AS website, and i say I prefer AA mileage program, Even though I am a lowly member on AS, I will get credit toward my AA elite status and the loyalty points?
That is all. Thank you,
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NativePhD
I never done this before so I will ask. If I book an AS flight on the AS website, and i say I prefer AA mileage program, Even though I am a lowly member on AS, I will get credit toward my AA elite status and the loyalty points?
That is all. Thank you,
Yes.

You can credit qualifying AS flights to any oneworld FFP, including AAdvantage. Note that the earnings rate for AS flights can vary from partner to partner.
NativePhD likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe I'm inpatient... I became AA Gold overnight between Aug 12 and Aug 13. I purchased a flight on AS the morning of Aug 13. As of this morning I'm unable (8/14) to select preferred seats nor has my checked baggage allowance changed. I clearly put my AA FFP number in the reservation. Do I need to wait longer or call in?

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catmndu
Maybe I'm inpatient... I became AA Gold overnight between Aug 12 and Aug 13. I purchased a flight on AS the morning of Aug 13. As of this morning I'm unable (8/14) to select preferred seats nor has my checked baggage allowance changed. I clearly put my AA FFP number in the reservation. Do I need to wait longer or call in?

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
I had a similar problem last year as the program was still in the early days. I called and was able to work it out. There may be a delay in getting your status recorded with AK but I would assume that as long as it shows up on the AA website you should be good.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by reinmedia
​​​​​​​Just flew PDX-SJC last week, and IIRC the 3 bags only applied to me, not my son as well (also on PNR). But I could be wrong, as I didn't need to check more than 3 bags anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Does my status get me anything on Alaska?

Looking to book LAX to LIH using AA miles. AA shows 22k if I fly on Alaska metal. 44k on theirs.
With AA I get free extra leg room seats for myself and spouse. Does that benefit transfer over to Alaska?
Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:52 am

See https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp
Originally Posted by pkerr
Looking to book LAX to LIH using AA miles. AA shows 22k if I fly on Alaska metal. 44k on theirs.
With AA I get free extra leg room seats for myself and spouse. Does that benefit transfer over to Alaska?
Thanks
formeraa likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MarkY123
Thanks!
MarkY123 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:31 pm

You're most welcome, @pkerr. Make sure to pay attention to the footnotes.
Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA& UA 1MM, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Do EXP upgrades for domestic mileage awards also work on domestic AS flights?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:48 pm

According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp,
AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum Pro members receive complimentary upgrades on Alaska Airlines. Upgrades will be confirmed as early as 120 hours before departure, if seats are available.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Do EXP upgrades for domestic mileage awards also work on domestic AS flights?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MarkY123
You're most welcome, @pkerr. Make sure to pay attention to the footnotes.
One more related question. In the footnotes, I didn't see any mention of the traveling companion receiving the same benefits as they do on AA.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:02 pm

^Initially this benefit only applies to the AAdvantage status member. Later, AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Pro and AAdvantage Platinum members will be able to extend this benefit to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation.
So the website is inconclusive. When is "later"? My interpretation is that it does not currently extend to a companion traveling on the same PNR.

One more related question. In the footnotes, I didn't see any mention of the traveling companion receiving the same benefits as they do on AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.