Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by econ
Last time I booked an AS mileage ticket, it would not allow one to enter a non-AS FFN. So one would have to contact AS after booking anyways.

If I want to use another FFP, I do book as a new traveller and leave the FFN field blank, since I figure that its always more straightforward to add a FFN later than to replace one.
I've talked to several people who have created a new traveler profile for themselves with their AA frequent flyer number so it apparently works for some folks without calling.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I've talked to several people who have created a new traveler profile for themselves with their AA frequent flyer number so it apparently works for some folks without calling.
Does that work when redeeming AS miles?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Last time I booked an AS mileage ticket, it would not allow one to enter a non-AS FFN. So one would have to contact AS after booking anyways.

If I want to use another FFP, I do book as a new traveller and leave the FFN field blank, since I figure that its always more straightforward to add a FFN later than to replace one.
I recently (yesterday) booked an AS mileage ticket, and since the miles were taken from my account, the only choice was my AS ff#. However, my husband, second traveler on the res, had a drop down menu where I could have chosen a different FF program for him.
happychic likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:00 pm

Does that work when redeeming AS miles?
Yes. That's why you have to create a new person/traveler to book the ticket for. Otherwise, it will default to your AS ff number and won't let you change it.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I recently (yesterday) booked an AS mileage ticket, and since the miles were taken from my account, the only choice was my AS ff#. However, my husband, second traveler on the res, had a drop down menu where I could have chosen a different FF program for him.
Exactly. And if you were to create a second traveler profile for yourself, you'd have the same option.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:12 pm

Exactly. And if you were to create a second traveler profile for yourself, you'd have the same option.
So there would be list of (at least) 3 people?

Myself

Other traveler (husband)

Other traveler (me) ?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:14 pm

So there would be list of (at least) 3 people?

Myself

Other traveler (husband)

Other traveler (me) ?
Bingo!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:19 pm

Bingo!
Wow, thanks for that. I had no idea.
SeaLuggageLover likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
AS flight not earning Million Miler miles as distance flown?

I was examining flight activity in my account and noticed an Alaska flight I took that I credited to AA did not report the actual miles flown as Million Miler miles (it was only about 50%). Is the MM calculation different for non-AA flights?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:31 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Non-AA flights earn million miler credit according to the base miles accrued (this will be a number between 25% and 100% of miles flown usually).

Incidentally, because JetBlue-marketed flights accrue base miles according to 5x fare, this means you can get more than 100% of distance flown as million miler credit for JetBlue-marketed flights.
mangoMan likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:56 am

I've heard other pax have had problems getting reps to do this for them for tickets booked with miles in the past. Still, as with anything involving humans, it probably depends on who you talk to. If hold times aren't too ridiculous, it's worth a try.
This is regarding changing an existing mileage ticket from my husband's AS # to his AA#. I've already made sure that the miles had come out of my account, not his.

Before I call, I'm wondering "why" they care and have given people a difficult time doing this?

If they do it, it doesn't mess up anything about the existing reservation, does it? (seats, etc.)

Edit: Since I didn't hear anything here I ended up calling. It was no problem whatsoever getting the numbers switched out, and no effect on the reservation at all.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Jul 14, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
This is regarding changing an existing mileage ticket from my husband's AS # to his AA#. I've already made sure that the miles had come out of my account, not his.

Before I call, I'm wondering "why" they care and have given people a difficult time doing this?
I think the why they care is you can't take advantage of elite benefits when a different number is in the reservation. That makes sense for, say, prohibiting getting a status-based upgrade or seat assignment when a different frequent flyer number is in the reservation, trying to get bag fee waivers based on one elite status and crediting to another program, or maybe if you're taking advantage of special award availability for elites (which isn't often a thing if ever). But for an award reservation in general, you can book it for anyone, so you're not abusing anything by swapping numbers. I really think resisting changing the FF# is a misapplication of this concern, whether it's in the rules or a human mistake.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I think the why they care is you can't take advantage of elite benefits when a different number is in the reservation. That makes sense for, say, prohibiting getting a status-based upgrade or seat assignment when a different frequent flyer number is in the reservation, trying to get bag fee waivers based on one elite status and crediting to another program, or maybe if you're taking advantage of special award availability for elites (which isn't often a thing if ever). But for an award reservation in general, you can book it for anyone, so you're not abusing anything by swapping numbers. I really think resisting changing the FF# is a misapplication of this concern, whether it's in the rules or a human mistake.
Well, I *am* trying to take advantage of elite benefits, and since they offer them reciprocally, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), UA FO.
Can anyone explain why I can't combine AA-operated transcons with certain AS short hop flights? Even with ITA matrix, I can't get any options of this nature. Trying to book something like NYC-(AA)-XXX-(AS)-PAE, where XXX can be SFO, LAS, SAN, PHX, etc. Goal is to end up in PAE

Last edited by LowValueCustomer; Jul 19, 2022 at 10:35 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Can anyone explain why I can't combine AA-operated transcons with certain AS short hop flights? Even with ITA matrix, I can't get any options of this nature. Trying to book something like NYC-(AA)-XXX-(AS)-PAE, where XXX can be SFO, LAS, SAN, PHX, etc. Goal is to end up in PAE
Possible that AA doesnt have a fare that allows it, especially if AS-operated XXX-PAE doesnt have an AA codeshare flight #.

Id like to be able to do this too for SFO-LAX to connect to/from the AA LHR flight since AA cut those frequencies so much.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.