Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "lets get checked" COVID-19 test for Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I am traveling BOS-PHX-HNL on AA in 2 weeks. Covid testing is required by an approved lab for Hawaii prior to departure. AA's website says they are partnered with Lets Get Checked to offer a home testing option. Has anyone used the lets get checked kit? My main concern is testing and getting the results back prior to departure with the kit being mailed back.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:03 pm

I was able to use the drive-thru Walgreen's Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) and received the
results by email in about 45 minutes. It looks like they offer it at multiple locations in the
Boston area. If you need any other specifics, send me a private message. This was for a
flight to Maui on March 18.
D3Kingg and seawolf like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Costco/Azova

Currently in Hawaii now, ended up buying the test through Costco. Easy at home process and got results back in 24hrs.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
walgreens ID now. Insurance covered it and had results back in 5 hours. It's on the Hawaii's safe travel list.

more importantly do you realize you'll be flying a 321 to HNL?
CLT, rfett2, madmanshoney and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 3:23 pm

Right; why not route BOS-ORD or DFW?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I also used the Walgreens ID NOW option and highly recommend it. Super easy and the results came in less than an hour. No stress about specimen delivery delays.

This thread was useful to me as a resource for planning:
72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)
D3Kingg and seawolf like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Right; why not route BOS-ORD or DFW?
I redeemed miles for 4 first class tickets. The dfw/ord flights didn’t have 4 F seats. I know it’s an A321 and am already bracing for the sub par service and next to nothing comfort wise.
CoffeeTraveler and enviroian like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Good thread. Any advice my father is flying bos-phx-koa. Anything else besides Walgreens rapid test that is also quick and somewhat simple ?

Originally Posted by enviroian
walgreens ID now. Insurance covered it and had results back in 5 hours. It's on the Hawaii's safe travel list.

more importantly do you realize you'll be flying a 321 to HNL?
Walgreens website says results in less than 24 hours for ID now. Is it really that quick ?

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 1, 2021 at 6:19 am Reason: Merged posts from same user
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Walgreens website says results in less than 24 hours for ID now. Is it really that quick ?
In my case it only took about 45 minutes before I received the results by email.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
I was able to use the drive-thru Walgreen's Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) and received the
results by email in about 45 minutes. It looks like they offer it at multiple locations in the
Boston area. .
I agree with Walgreen's and ID Now, but this doesn't help the OP because Massachusetts Walgreen's do not have ID Now. You have to make sure you are only searching ID Now when on their site and not the regular PCR test. The closest would be Providence RI.

Also, there is a long thread about testing in the Hawaii forum.
enviroian and beachfan like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 1, 2021 at 3:27 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts as requested by user
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Good thread. Any advice my father is flying bos-phx-koa. Anything else besides Walgreens rapid test that is also quick and somewhat simple ?

I live in Boston and every time I did a Walgreens covid test it had taken almost 3 days to comeback. None of the Walgreens in MA do the ID Now rapid test. It is all a send out standard PCR.

AFC Urgent care will do a ID now rapid test for $180 out of pocket. Hawaii won’t accept a standard PCR from AFC (Atleast in MA) because it is collected and processed by a third party company despite being done at AFC.

I might try the let’s get checked home test. Will let you know how it goes
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
I am curious about Lets get checked too. While they are a partner with American, this company does not show up on the Hawaii Trusted Travel Partner list. Think I will go with the local CVS which offers the drive thru option for $139 and test results in 48 hours (hopefully).
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
I will do Walgreens as well in May before flying the almighty 777-300 in 1J to Honolulu! If you go Island hopping you need another test. For example arriving in Big Island KOA they will do a rapid test right when you leave Hawaiian Airlines.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Miked3016
I live in Boston and every time I did a Walgreens covid test it had taken almost 3 days to comeback. None of the Walgreens in MA do the ID Now rapid test. It is all a send out standard PCR.

AFC Urgent care will do a ID now rapid test for $180 out of pocket. Hawaii won’t accept a standard PCR from AFC (Atleast in MA) because it is collected and processed by a third party company despite being done at AFC.

I might try the let’s get checked home test. Will let you know how it goes
That's crazy about MA Walgreen's not having ID Now. I wonder what's up with? The process is easy once you arrive. Just have your phone ready to be scanned and you're good to go.

FWIW do you have EF? If so if you already haven't is set alerts for award J seats that might open up on the dfw- and ord- heavy flights. AA flies ZERO heavies from phx or lax now.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

ID NOW tests are run on-site. https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW.html

Walgreens PCR samples are sent to Aegis or Labcorp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.