Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-elite given 20 500 mile upgrade “stickers”?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:49 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

My travel companion has been an AA member for about 5 years. She has never been elite, or even close. But for some reason she got 20 500 milers dumped into her account.

why would they do this if she can’t use them? Or can she? I’m plat and have her linked to an upcoming reservation we’re both on. I only have 2 500 milers but the trip would require 3. Would AA pull 3 from her account or do I need to buy 1 more for me and 3 for her? Or can she ask them to pull all 6 from her account for both of us?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA has frequently ran promotions where they give non-elites status for a short time (usually 3 months) as well as a number of 500-mi upgrades, so I'm guessing that is what happened. She could have received this at some point in the past, but the upgrades would never expire.

And if she has no status now then there's no way she can use them, if flying as your companion then all stickers would need to come from your account.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
without status they cannot be redeemed. They are about as useful as the wipes AA flight attendants hand to you upon boarding.
fotographer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ha. You can barely redeem them *with* status
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: Avios
My wife also got the 20 certficates and she has not flown on AA in 4 years.. It actually prompted me into booking a cheap ($61.00) MIA -LAX roundtrip trip before the certificates expire. We will see if can use them on this trip.I am doubtful they can be used as J always seems to be full on these flights but we will get the 777W premium economy seats for free as she will still be Platinum until the promotion expires.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know someone who also got the 20 stickers, but along with three months of Platinum status as a trial - essentially a challenge. I think 2k in EQD was the price of keeping the status for longer.

Presumably anyone who got the 20 stickers out of the blue should also have been given the status to use them.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PHL
My travel companion has been an AA member for about 5 years. She has never been elite, or even close. But for some reason she got 20 500 milers dumped into her account.

why would they do this if she can’t use them? Or can she? I’m plat and have her linked to an upcoming reservation we’re both on. I only have 2 500 milers but the trip would require 3. Would AA pull 3 from her account or do I need to buy 1 more for me and 3 for her? Or can she ask them to pull all 6 from her account for both of us?
Have your travel companion check her AA account. She may have been granted interim Elite status, as others have said. If she has interim status, she can use them. When there’s no status, the upgrades remain as long as the account is open and active, on call as it were for the day she might earn status again.

As to their unusability, that’s actually quite variable. My sister and nephew are lifetime Gold and they’ve been upgraded (prior to COVID) on flights with less demand (e.g. SAT-PHX) and even more popular flights such as LAX-KOA.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is known to tinker around with temporary status awards and even upping existing status.

It's a pretty effective marketing technique because AA can identify people who are likely to have been worth the "taste" yet it does not cost AA anything to do. There are only so many F seats floating around and the fact that AA issues that many more "stickers" does not affect that number.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I got these years ago, and was told they NEVER expire. I didn't use them because my home airports favored Southwest and Delta, but last year due to COVID, suddenly favored AA over Southwest. So I made the switch, and pushed towards earning gold, and now I can use them... and I am even pushing for higher than Gold! I'd say this promo gimmick worked on me, even if they didn't see the results until 5 years later. Had they not given me these... I may have just split my flights between AA, Southwest and Delta... in fact I am almost certain of it...
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
maybe AA should call these "feel good " stickers
enviroian and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
these stickers that have little practical use:
1. Typically the receiver only has temporary status for a short period time when the stickers an be used
2. If they are a general member chances are they only fly once every couple months and will never get status
3. Good luck trying to use stickers as a very low dollar spend PLT or GLD.

The number of people that will actually use these is pretty small.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps, but you are presuming that the targets of these efforts are not carefully selected for the likelihood that they can make use of the product, e.g., elites on other carriers in markets where AA does or wants to compete. Thus, someone who flies routinely OA, might switch to AA for a bit and, taking advantage of temporary PLT or above, gets a few UG's,
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couldn’t non-elites at one time use these on full fare tickets?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Even though your companion is a non-elite, couldn’t they potentially use the upgrade stickers if they were traveling on the same pnr with someone else who is an elite member? If an elite member and their non-elite traveling companion were upgrading together, I would think the stickers could come from either person’s account.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hbtr
Even though your companion is a non-elite, couldn’t they potentially use the upgrade stickers if they were traveling on the same pnr with someone else who is an elite member? If an elite member and their non-elite traveling companion were upgrading together, I would think the stickers could come from either person’s account.
I believe it has to come from the sponsor's account. I seem to recall complaints about this in other threads, if I'm remembering correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.