Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-seat differences in first 32q vs 772 to HNL/OGG/KOA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Is there much difference in the product between first on 32Q LAX/Phoenix to Hawaii vs the 772 out of Dallas? Are the lounges the same? In flight internet? Food? Wine? I looked at some reviews but they only mention the seat.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
There are no lounges included regardless.
You can buy internet. IME 772 wifi is slower. YMMV.
No hot food/proper meals out of LAX or PHX, just prepackaged sandwich or cheese tray and snack basket. Yes to hot meals (and pillows, blankets, and headphones) out of DFW/ORD/CLT.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Does the 772 WiFi work over water?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ou81two
Is there much difference in the product between first on 32Q LAX/Phoenix to Hawaii vs the 772 out of Dallas? Are the lounges the same? In flight internet? Food? Wine? I looked at some reviews but they only mention the seat.
Huge difference as the A321s have recliner seats and the 777s and 787s out of CLT/DFW/ORD to Hawaii have full flat beds. Lounges are the same though some have more limited services due to their respective state regulations.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I’ll be taking the 787-800, ORD-HNL, with the family in April (if all goes well&#129310.

Got what I considered to be a pretty good deal: (4) J seats, RT, direct flights, for 115,000 miles each. The flight was pretty wide open when I booked in Feb, but first looks to be full now.

I am pretty curious to see what the service will be like. I’ve flown Europe, Asia, Australia, but my wife and kids will have been never been on a flight this long (~8 hrs), AND they’ve never been in a lie-flat. I’m hoping it’s a neat experience for them.
Spanish and platbrownguy like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Does the 772 WiFi work over water?
Of course, the long haul fleet's WiFi was designed for around the world traveling. It was Gogo in the beginning that was limited to Continental USA.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Just to start, you get a flat bed from DFW vs a recliner seat out of PHX on the NEO. That would easily make my decision go towards flying out of DFW to Hawaii.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Two different worlds. One you get a sandwich and an oasis regular F seat the other you get a full flat bed, B&O headphones, duvet and pillow, and 3 hot entrees to choose from.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Deleted
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Remember, you can fly one type of aircraft for the outbound, and a different aircraft for the return. If the flight to HNL is a daytime flight, I am more willing to tolerate a narrow-body bird. You are awake. But, if you are on the redeye for the flight home, definitely consider the 772 for the lie-flat seat and the extra space. It makes a huge difference when you want to sleep and arrive on the mainland in good spirits.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I’ll be taking the 787-800, ORD-HNL, with the family in April (if all goes well&#129310.

Got what I considered to be a pretty good deal: (4) J seats, RT, direct flights, for 115,000 miles each. The flight was pretty wide open when I booked in Feb, but first looks to be full now.

I am pretty curious to see what the service will be like. I’ve flown Europe, Asia, Australia, but my wife and kids will have been never been on a flight this long (~8 hrs), AND they’ve never been in a lie-flat. I’m hoping it’s a neat experience for them.
You got an amazing deal. Congratulations.

Remember to be proactive. There's no pre-departure beverage. Once in the air, and you hear that bell to indicate the aircraft reached 10,000-foot elevation, the flight attendants will (eventually) get up and put on the aprons. At that point, satisfy any craving you have for thirst or hunger. Don't wait for the beverage refill to be offered. Push the call button or use the bathroom and request it. I have witnessed very senior flight attendants avoid making passes through the cabin. I don't care. If I want something, I make the request. That's why you fly in First. You want the space.....you want the amenities.

Enjoy Hawaii........it's a fantastic destination.
Beachfun71 and Spiff like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcatman

Remember to be proactive. There's no pre-departure beverage. Once in the air, and you hear that bell to indicate the aircraft reached 10,000-foot elevation, the flight attendants will (eventually) get up and put on the aprons. At that point, satisfy any craving you have for thirst or hunger. Don't wait for the beverage refill to be offered. Push the call button or use the bathroom and request it. I have witnessed very senior flight attendants avoid making passes through the cabin. I don't care. If I want something, I make the request. That's why you fly in First. You want the space.....you want the amenities.

Ha I asked an FA that I know personally if they hated that. She responded that they generally do. It didn't change my use of the call button which is exactly like yours. It's there for a reason
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by jcatman

thanks for the advice! Really looking forward to the trip.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Having flown the 32Q PHX-HNL and then the 77W HNL-DFW yes there is a world of difference, most of which has been hit on in here one point or another:
-Hawaii flights do not include lounge access. DFW has a lot more options for AMEX/Priority Pass holders (I know the Centurion Lounge in DFW is open).
-The 32Q internet stopped working just off the CA cost, so no internet for most of the flight (it was very fast and free for the first hop over the mainland), no live TV, etc. The 777 has international wifi so it worked the whole trip, although you did have to pay of course, for me on the redeye I didn't bother.
- On the 32Q you are getting the same sandwhich/cheese plate any old AA 900mi+ flight gets, plus the full beverage service and snack basket. On the 777 from DFW you are getting a pretty darn full pre-covid hot meal experience, including menus, packaged nuts, and mai tai's (also absent on the 32Q service). I don't really recall what the wine selection was vs the normal domestic choices, the menu didn't have the choices printed and I had an acceptable white wine with my meal.
- As for amenities on the 32Q we were at least treated to the daytime blanket and lumbar pillow, aka the itnl PE bedding. On the 777 we got the full duvet and pillow, and B&O headphones. I have even heard of amenities kits on the 777 service but I think that was more of a one-off thing.

In short, yes the difference of the experience is basically night and day throughout, especially when the price seems to be about the same for the tickets whether you route through PHX/LAX or DFW.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Having flown the 32Q PHX-HNL and then the 77W HNL-DFW yes there is a world of difference, most of which has been hit on in here one point or another:
-Hawaii flights do not include lounge access. DFW has a lot more options for AMEX/Priority Pass holders (I know the Centurion Lounge in DFW is open).
-The 32Q internet stopped working just off the CA cost, so no internet for most of the flight (it was very fast and free for the first hop over the mainland), no live TV, etc. The 777 has international wifi so it worked the whole trip, although you did have to pay of course, for me on the redeye I didn't bother.
- On the 32Q you are getting the same sandwhich/cheese plate any old AA 900mi+ flight gets, plus the full beverage service and snack basket. On the 777 from DFW you are getting a pretty darn full pre-covid hot meal experience, including menus, packaged nuts, and mai tai's (also absent on the 32Q service). I don't really recall what the wine selection was vs the normal domestic choices, the menu didn't have the choices printed and I had an acceptable white wine with my meal.
- As for amenities on the 32Q we were at least treated to the daytime blanket and lumbar pillow, aka the itnl PE bedding. On the 777 we got the full duvet and pillow, and B&O headphones. I have even heard of amenities kits on the 777 service but I think that was more of a one-off thing.

In short, yes the difference of the experience is basically night and day throughout, especially when the price seems to be about the same for the tickets whether you route through PHX/LAX or DFW.
The Plumeria Lounge at HNL is accessible via Priority Pass and it's decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.