Bus at JFK to connect T5 and T8

Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wonder how long this bus will continue to exist.
paskyhawk likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
No. They probably check boarding passes to make sure that it is their own (AA and/or B6) customers using the service, as operating the buses costs money.

Anyone else can use the AirTrain to change terminals.
But who else would want to take that bus? Isn't Terminal 8 all, or almost all, Oneworld? Are you saying they would deny someone with a BA boarding pass?

Last edited by Aliquot; Aug 31, 2023 at 8:14 am
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Aliquot
But who else would want to take that bus? Isn't Terminal 8 all, or almost all, Oneworld?
Possibly:

1. Admirals Club members who have a long wait before their (connecting?) flight out of T5;

2. Priority Pass members (who still have the restaurant benefit) who want to visit the participating Bobby Van's steakhouse in T8 before their flight out of T5.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by guv1976
Possibly:

1. Admirals Club members who have a long wait before their (connecting?) flight out of T5;

2. Priority Pass members (who still have the restaurant benefit) who want to visit the participating Bobby Van's steakhouse in T8 before their flight out of T5.
FWIW, the T2-T4 bus that connected DL's operations was equally militant about requiring a boarding pass for the appropriate terminal to get on the bus. "I want to use the lounge in the other terminal" was briefly accepted and then wasn't for most of its run.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aliquot
But who else would want to take that bus? Isn't Terminal 8 all, or almost all, Oneworld? Are you saying they would deny someone with a BA boarding pass?

I am pretty sure they would allow someone with a CX, JAL, BA, Iberia, Finnair, etc., boarding pass to ride the bus from T5 to T8, if you already happened to be airside in T5. But they would not allow you to ride airside from T8 to T5 unless you had a departing boarding pass for JetBlue or one of the other airlines using T5.

The key thing is to have a boarding pass or confirmation for a flight that departs from the destination terminal, if you wish to use the airside bus service.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, it is still running. You must have a boarding pass (or confirmation email/ticket) for a flight that departs from the other terminal in order to board the bus.
Thank you for the info. If anyone else finds it running in September let me know, thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 5:58 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wonder how long this bus will continue to exist.
Originally Posted by paskyhawk
Thank you for the info. If anyone else finds it running in September let me know, thanks.
I asked when I passed through, and I was told "until the end of the year". I don't know how reliable that was, but that's what I was told by the folks in the lounge and one running the bus.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by S80
I asked when I passed through, and I was told "until the end of the year". I don't know how reliable that was, but that's what I was told by the folks in the lounge and one running the bus.
That's great, I'll report back on what I find at the end of Sep. and Oct. Thanks
S80 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Was just there yesterday. Didn't take the bus myself, but I saw lots some folks emerging from the entrance near gate 27 in T5. So I think it's still going as of now.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
What are the hours of the bus (eg can I workout at TWA Hotel, do security at T5, and then transfer to T8 airside around 11pm to midnight?)
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:17 am
S80

Originally Posted by shuuy
What are the hours of the bus (eg can I workout at TWA Hotel, do security at T5, and then transfer to T8 airside around 11pm to midnight?)
I would not bother going through security at T5, it's a nightmare from my experience, just take the airtrain to T8 and do security there.
shuuy and lrdpenn like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: Independent
Instead of walking through the terminal to the airtrain, walk out the front entrance, cross the street to the walkway along the garage, and walk tot he airtrain that way. It's a shorter distance, just outside.

Plus, a cool look at the TWA terminal building.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Instead of walking through the terminal to the airtrain, walk out the front entrance, cross the street to the walkway along the garage, and walk tot he airtrain that way. It's a shorter distance, just outside.

Plus, a cool look at the TWA terminal building.
Confusing for a first-timer but a neat trick. I didn't know this existed until I had to take a T1 shuttle recently, which dumped me in the T8 garage with the terminal right outside.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: Independent
There used ot be big painted TWA hotel direction arrows along the walk way, but those have probably long faded.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:51 am
S80

Now being reported that the T5-T8 bus will operate its final run at 11pm local on Tuesday (October 31st).

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...benefits-axed/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.