Bus at JFK to connect T5 and T8

Old May 11, 2022, 11:17 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Should be ok as long as you have ~40-50 minutes from the time you step off the plane of your first leg. Follow signs in AA T8 to the Gate 13 shuttle.
POSHtravelier likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:13 pm

If they can provide an airside bus to connect T5 and T8, why cant they do the same to connect T7 and T8? It would make AA to BA connections much more seamless.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Hopefully this means that if a OW Sapphire/Emerald, or AC member, is coming off an AA intl flight and connecting onto a domestic B6 flight, they can re-enter security at T-8 and use the lounges there. Then take the shuttle bus to T-5.
yes. My wife came in from Argentina they checked her bag at T8 onto JetBlue then she clear security at T8 and hung in the lounge then took the bus to T5.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by prof
If they can provide an airside bus to connect T5 and T8, why cant they do the same to connect T7 and T8? It would make AA to BA connections much more seamless.
or - even easier (maybe), why not have the T8 - T5 shuttle include T7 in the journey each way. That would also help with BA/JB transfers.
prof and Spiff like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:54 pm

Question Gate number at T5?

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Any chance you know the Gate number it is closest to or even just near? Will be the easiest for me to locate... If you happen to know. Thx
Did you ever find the bus? And which gate it is near at terminal 5? Nobody in this string ever answered your question:-)
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jfab
Did you ever find the bus? And which gate it is near at terminal 5? Nobody in this string ever answered your question:-)
I flew B6 last night, I believe the FA said it was by Gate 23 in T5. You can check with the help desk to confirm though.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: Independent
For the T8 side it is easy to find. AS you enter, walk towards the connector to the second concourse. Even before you get to the escalators, it is to the left - there should be someone standing there near an elevator.

From T5, it's between 27 and 28. there's a bit of a long hallway there. The access to the bus is actually on the left hand side (not the side facing the runway), so be aware of that. It was pretty clearly marked when I went through. The problem was that it took a long time - not only the drive over, but they use the area where the bus pulls up to T8 for parking luggage trains, so they had to move everything so the bus could pull in. All in all it may have been quicker to take the air train, depending on how long it takes you to clear security.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
For the T8 side it is easy to find. AS you enter, walk towards the connector to the second concourse. Even before you get to the escalators, it is to the left - there should be someone standing there near an elevator.

From T5, it's between 27 and 28. there's a bit of a long hallway there. The access to the bus is actually on the left hand side (not the side facing the runway), so be aware of that. It was pretty clearly marked when I went through. The problem was that it took a long time - not only the drive over, but they use the area where the bus pulls up to T8 for parking luggage trains, so they had to move everything so the bus could pull in. All in all it may have been quicker to take the air train, depending on how long it takes you to clear security.
Thanks, that was exactly right. There are actually a lot of signs in T5 to point you to "Bus to T8" now, official ones, hanging from the ceiling.
You're right that it takes a bit, though not bad. We had to actually go so and forth due to being rebooked, my and waited 0 and 5 min, respectively. And while the bus had to maneuver and wait for a couple if planes pulling in and out of their gates (it's actually quite "adventurous":-) ), I'm pretty sure that leaving security will almost always take longer. Or at least it's risk free... Thanks again for the quick reply.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: Independent
Totally agree about the adventurous part - it was actually kind of fun being out on the runways right next to all those planes.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I've been away from Flytalk for a while since I retired and moved to TPA . I have a question about AA to JBU at JFK after landing on an international flight. I read somewhere on AA website that you can connect "easily" between the two terminals - but now can not find that information. So is it possible to make a 3 hour connection from AA at JFK over to the Jet Blue terminal. This would make my return trip faster and cheaper by not having to make 2 stops. Trying to see if MXP-JFK-TPA works by using JBU back to Tampa Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RMINIONE
I've been away from Flytalk for a while since I retired and moved to TPA . I have a question about AA to JBU at JFK after landing on an international flight. I read somewhere on AA website that you can connect "easily" between the two terminals - but now can not find that information. So is it possible to make a 3 hour connection from AA at JFK over to the Jet Blue terminal. This would make my return trip faster and cheaper by not having to make 2 stops. Trying to see if MXP-JFK-TPA works by using JBU back to Tampa Thanks
Information about the connecting bus is available here:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...onnection-bus/

But you cannot connect "easily" at JFK between AA and B6 when arriving on an international flight from an airport without pre-clearance. You'll be dumped landside after clearing Customs. At that point, you must either re-clear security at the AA terminal and ride the connecting bus, or ride the AirTrain to the B6 terminal and go through the TSA security screening there.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:27 pm

I am flying into JFK on JetBlue, departing on a JAL flight. I may not have my BP for the JAL flight.
(There is a good chance I will need to pick up my JAL BP at the gate or FL.)

1. Will they let me on the bus for a JAL flight with a JAL BP?
2. Will they let me on the bus for the JAL flight with only a copy of the itinerary?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
I am flying into JFK on JetBlue, departing on a JAL flight. I may not have my BP for the JAL flight.

No. JAL operates out of Terminal 1, not Terminal 8. You will not be allowed to take the airside bus from Terminal 5 to Terminal 8, since your onward connecting flight is out of Terminal 1.

However, given current airport construction, after your JetBlue flight, you will need to take AirTrain from Terminal 5 to Terminal 8 anyway, and then transfer to the special Terminal 1/2 bus and then clear security again in Terminal 1.

2. Will they let me on the bus for the JAL flight with only a copy of the itinerary?
n/a
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I don't think you can get your JL BP in T8 or the FL, if B6 can't issue it at your origin. There is no JL agent / counter anywhere in T8. If B6 can issue it, JL may want to reprint it anyway (IME) but at least you can get that done at the gate.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 7:18 am

I just did this 3 weeks ago. As mentioned, they will NOT let you on the bus. Depending on your connection time (We had 5 hours), you can leave T5, take the AirTrain to T8, clear TSA w your JL BP (you'll need a BP, a copy of your itinerary will not work) and then access the Flagship lounge w your JAL BP (Assuming you are in F/J or have OW Status). The AirFrance lounge in T1 is a bus stop w really poor food/drinks/seating, so do your best to get to the Flagship lounge.

I was able to get our JL BP digitally on my iphone and it worked fine getting through T8 TSA.

The AirTrain is under Construction, but its really not a bit deal (or it wasn't 3 weeks ago).

FYI - The T1 TSA is terrible, There is no dedicated TSA-Pre security lane. The agents are rude and do a lot of yelling. Give yourself some extra time to get through that disaster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.