Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Targeted Aadvantage Offer - Buy EQDs/EQMs/EQSs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador

New targeted AAdvantage offer that I received today. I took a phonemail with a follow-up email from American Airlines today. Very nice CS agent told me that I had been targeted to buy EQMs, EQDs and EQSs. There are several offer levels. Being that I'll likely hit Plat Pro if not ExPlat this year on leisure travel alone, I likely won't participate, but wondering if anyone else has received the same email/offer. Apologies mods if this has already been posted but couldn't find anywhere.

ronp101 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
An interesting offer for those with cash to burn or a really strong interest in hitting a qualification level.

First thought? Cash grab by AA.

Second thought? How do these prices line up to the offers for the buy-up of status if you were short of qualifying for a specific tier. Do you pre-pay now for the credits? Or do you count on a decent buy up offer at the end of the year?

Third thought? You could get 10K EQM for a bit cheaper via some MR's LAX to MIA, and you can hit the EQD waiver with enough CC spend on an AA credit card (along with the RDM's that would come with said spend).

So for those who don't have the time or inclination to do the above.... and they have a strong need, I guess it's a deal?
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:49 pm

Looks like a decent offer in some senses if you're trying to hit EQD milestones; almost certainly not a deal if looking for EQM as you can get many of those as better rates in the air, plus you get to go somewhere.

It's true that the EQD waiver could be achieved with AA CC spend, but I'm not a fan of putting all my spending American's credit cards; prefer to do more spending on my Amex Platinum or try to hit welcome bonuses on new cards.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:19 pm

I hope they missed a zero. $1695 would be an ok price for 100,000 EQM not for 10,000.
GlobalMatt and ceebee100 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How you do that?? Where did you get info from? Show me a link, please. I'm just want to buy more EQD. I can re-qualification again. I can becomes Gold.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
AA must have done some quarterly analysis and realized that their projections/elite numbers are way off from their already lowered threshold. Wonder if this is a wake up call that they’ll need to figure out a way to either keep elites in the next calendar year via more promotions or some type of extension.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jtav559
An interesting offer for those with cash to burn...
I can think of several thousand better, higher ROI ways to burn cash.
...or a really strong interest in hitting a qualification level.
If anyone is strongly interested in a qualification level, please PM me to discuss a real estate deal.

First thought? Cash grab by AA.
Obviously. I guess AA realizes how correct P.T. Barnum was.

So for those who don't have the time or inclination to do the above.... and they have a strong need, I guess it's a deal?
It's not a deal for anyone. It would be stupidity to pay AA for status.
Spiff, Reima, GlobalMatt and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by N830MH
How you do that?? Where did you get info from? Show me a link, please. I'm just want to buy more EQD. I can re-qualification again. I can becomes Gold.
I wish I could send a link! The CS phone agent I spoke with was a self-described “Aadvantage Rep” when I asked him his role. He then verified that this is a target offer. I even asked him if they could send the same invite to my wife, but he told me he couldn’t. I wonder if some algorithm is running this? Otherwise I would totally send you a link, but there is no link to send. I’m told I have to call back in to enroll, as well.
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I got the same phone call yesterday followed by the email. It's definitely not worth $1,700 for a measly 10k EQM or 12 EQS.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming there's a fair number of "carry over" elites that still aren't traveling but want to have status next year when (and if) they return to travel, particularly heavy travel. AA would rather you "buy" status then give it to you for another year.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 12:44 pm

Just IMO but seems like a decent deal if you need/want the EQD's but useless otherwise. For example, at worst its $212 per EQS, at best $170 per EQS... you can find cheaper flights than either of those.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Just IMO but seems like a decent deal if you need/want the EQD's but useless otherwise.
No one needs EQDs.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Just IMO but seems like a decent deal if you need/want the EQD's but useless otherwise. For example, at worst its $212 per EQS, at best $170 per EQS... you can find cheaper flights than either of those.
I am about to hit Plat pro on Thursday. I will have 60k EQMs, and 52 EQS. Unfortunately, I only spent $1800 EQD to achieve this, with Y fares being so ridiculously low over the past 3 months. Without the AA credit card waiver, I may spend enough by year's end to make gold .

I think that this deal is basically exchanging your cold hard cash for EQDs with some EQMs and EQSs thrown in for flavoring. I cannot imagine someone who is traveling on a semi-regular basis needing either miles or segments, but dollars is going to be tough on a Y fare basis.

Finally, for me, the real reason to do this would be to get that last couple of thousand to get you to ExPlat level, which cannot be achieved with the credit card. But again, the EQD to cold hard cash (CHC) is almost 1:! so it is really just a buy-up. You might do better in the fall
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
No one needs EQDs.
​​​​​You do if you're me and are already on 10 EQS with only 340 EQD 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.