Wiki Posts
Search

Expert flyer C7 call AA C0?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Expert flyer C7 call AA C0?

I purchased a ticket HNL-CLT-LGA for a flight in August that I would like to upgrade using miles + copays. I checked EF before I booked. What I found is if I check HNL-CLT, it shows C0. When I add the second segment to LGA, both flights show C7. When I spoke with AA, they could not confirm me so I am waitlisted on the HNL- CLT flight. They did offer to upgrade me for the LGA flight but I said I'd rather save the miles and copay for the longer flight. I tried to HUCA but got the same response. Is this a glitch with EF or is there something that I'm missing?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Married segments?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EP
when using EF, you must use the awards and upgrade tab and ALWAYS search individual segments one at a time. If you don’t, what you experienced most likely will happen.

QUOTE=RxCapt;33095498]I purchased a ticket HNL-CLT-LGA for a flight in August that I would like to upgrade using miles + copays. I checked EF before I booked. What I found is if I check HNL-CLT, it shows C0. When I add the second segment to LGA, both flights show C7. When I spoke with AA, they could not confirm me so I am waitlisted on the HNL- CLT flight. They did offer to upgrade me for the LGA flight but I said I'd rather save the miles and copay for the longer flight. I tried to HUCA but got the same response. Is this a glitch with EF or is there something that I'm missing?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Mar 12, 2021 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, you're not missing anything and the agents were correct. As mentioned above you must search segment by segment to see the true upgrade space. The C0 you're seeing seeing searching HNL-CLT is all that matters. Searching connections will yield all sorts of false positives. It has been this way for years.

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)
JDiver, sdsearch and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Thanks for your replies. Searching just the HNL- CLT as well as ord & dfw, everything is pretty much C0 and U0. I see lax and phx have C availability but don't want to waste my miles to sit up front in an A321. Haven't booked an AA metal mileage ticket in years so was unaware of these issues. I've booked mostly OW and partner tickets without issues but looking to stay domestic this year for obvious reasons.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
To be clear, these are not "false positives", these are married connections. If you are using an instrument that works for multiple segments, you should be able to get it. For example, I recently booked tickets for my family SAN-PHX-XXX. Availability showed on EF for the full route, but not PHX-XXX. As a result, I was able to clear an SWU for both segments, but BXP1s for just the second segment waitlisted. YMMV.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus
To be clear, these are not "false positives", these are married connections. If you are using an instrument that works for multiple segments, you should be able to get it. For example, I recently booked tickets for my family SAN-PHX-XXX. Availability showed on EF for the full route, but not PHX-XXX. As a result, I was able to clear an SWU for both segments, but BXP1s for just the second segment waitlisted. YMMV.
This is 100% incorrect. AA has never had any sort of married segment logic for upgrade space. The EF issue with regards to only showing true upgrade space when searching segment by segment is well documented and has been around for years.
JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is 100% incorrect. AA has never had any sort of married segment logic for upgrade space. The EF issue with regards to only showing true upgrade space when searching segment by segment is well documented and has been around for years.
Believe what you want, but I’ve had multiple SWUs cleared due to married segment logic when they weren’t available on just the flight by itself. You are correct it’s been this way for years, though.
af fp likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EP
It’s something else — maybe just luck. AA has confirmed that there is no married segments logic on SWUs. Works the same as comp upgrades — each segment is independent.

Believe what you want, but I’ve had multiple SWUs cleared due to married segment logic when they weren’t available on just the flight by itself. You are correct it’s been this way for years, though.
JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've certainly had several SWUs clear over the years when EF was at C0 but this doesn't have anything to do with married segment logic.

If this married segment upgrade space exists, then why couldn't the agents clear the OP on HNL-CLT-LGA when EF said C7??
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
It’s something else — maybe just luck. AA has confirmed that there is no married segments logic on SWUs. Works the same as comp upgrades — each segment is independent.
Yup; "luck". Some of us have been manufacturing luck for years. Just sharing my experience; believe it if you (don't) want.

https://viewfromthewing.com/an-impor...ist-sometimes/
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yup; "luck". Some of us have been manufacturing luck for years. Just sharing my experience; believe it if you (don't) want.

https://viewfromthewing.com/an-impor...ist-sometimes/
That's from 2015. Things have changed.

It is possible to clear a SWU when EF shows C0 if after the last sweep, something opened up. But that is different than EF showing bogus inventory when searching a connection in the C bucket.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If this married segment upgrade space exists, then why couldn't the agents clear the OP on HNL-CLT-LGA when EF said C7??
Obviously some AAdvantage members are more special than others
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
That's from 2015. Things have changed.

It is possible to clear a SWU when EF shows C0 if after the last sweep, something opened up. But that is different than EF showing bogus inventory when searching a connection in the C bucket.
Sigh. I'm not sure why I'm arguing. You're right, married segment logic isn't a thing. Don't bother calling AA to find a competent agent to book it for you. That just leaves more inventory for those of us who wear tinfoil hats....
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sigh. I'm not sure why I'm arguing. You're right, married segment logic isn't a thing. Don't bother calling AA to find a competent agent to book it for you. That just leaves more inventory for those of us who wear tinfoil hats....
I don't understand why you're arguing either. You're wrong.
Erasmus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.