Expert flyer C7 call AA C0?

Old Mar 12, 21, 8:23 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Posts: 2,783
Expert flyer C7 call AA C0?

I purchased a ticket HNL-CLT-LGA for a flight in August that I would like to upgrade using miles + copays. I checked EF before I booked. What I found is if I check HNL-CLT, it shows C0. When I add the second segment to LGA, both flights show C7. When I spoke with AA, they could not confirm me so I am waitlisted on the HNL- CLT flight. They did offer to upgrade me for the LGA flight but I said I'd rather save the miles and copay for the longer flight. I tried to HUCA but got the same response. Is this a glitch with EF or is there something that I'm missing?
RxCapt is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:31 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,632
Married segments?
LondonElite is online now  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:44 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 2,075
when using EF, you must use the awards and upgrade tab and ALWAYS search individual segments one at a time. If you donít, what you experienced most likely will happen.


QUOTE=RxCapt;33095498]I purchased a ticket HNL-CLT-LGA for a flight in August that I would like to upgrade using miles + copays. I checked EF before I booked. What I found is if I check HNL-CLT, it shows C0. When I add the second segment to LGA, both flights show C7. When I spoke with AA, they could not confirm me so I am waitlisted on the HNL- CLT flight. They did offer to upgrade me for the LGA flight but I said I'd rather save the miles and copay for the longer flight. I tried to HUCA but got the same response. Is this a glitch with EF or is there something that I'm missing?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Mar 12, 21 at 8:49 am
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:50 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,305
Yea, you're not missing anything and the agents were correct. As mentioned above you must search segment by segment to see the true upgrade space. The C0 you're seeing seeing searching HNL-CLT is all that matters. Searching connections will yield all sorts of false positives. It has been this way for years.

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)
JDiver, sdsearch and Antarius like this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 9:16 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Posts: 2,783
Thanks for your replies. Searching just the HNL- CLT as well as ord & dfw, everything is pretty much C0 and U0. I see lax and phx have C availability but don't want to waste my miles to sit up front in an A321. Haven't booked an AA metal mileage ticket in years so was unaware of these issues. I've booked mostly OW and partner tickets without issues but looking to stay domestic this year for obvious reasons.
RxCapt is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 12:54 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 75K
Posts: 2,703
To be clear, these are not "false positives", these are married connections. If you are using an instrument that works for multiple segments, you should be able to get it. For example, I recently booked tickets for my family SAN-PHX-XXX. Availability showed on EF for the full route, but not PHX-XXX. As a result, I was able to clear an SWU for both segments, but BXP1s for just the second segment waitlisted. YMMV.
madmanshoney likes this.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 7:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,305
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
To be clear, these are not "false positives", these are married connections. If you are using an instrument that works for multiple segments, you should be able to get it. For example, I recently booked tickets for my family SAN-PHX-XXX. Availability showed on EF for the full route, but not PHX-XXX. As a result, I was able to clear an SWU for both segments, but BXP1s for just the second segment waitlisted. YMMV.
This is 100% incorrect. AA has never had any sort of married segment logic for upgrade space. The EF issue with regards to only showing true upgrade space when searching segment by segment is well documented and has been around for years.
JDiver and Antarius like this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:03 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 75K
Posts: 2,703
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
This is 100% incorrect. AA has never had any sort of married segment logic for upgrade space. The EF issue with regards to only showing true upgrade space when searching segment by segment is well documented and has been around for years.
Believe what you want, but Iíve had multiple SWUs cleared due to married segment logic when they werenít available on just the flight by itself. You are correct itís been this way for years, though.
af fp likes this.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:08 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 2,075
Itís something else ó maybe just luck. AA has confirmed that there is no married segments logic on SWUs. Works the same as comp upgrades ó each segment is independent.


Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Believe what you want, but Iíve had multiple SWUs cleared due to married segment logic when they werenít available on just the flight by itself. You are correct itís been this way for years, though.
JDiver and Antarius like this.
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,305
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Believe what you want, but Iíve had multiple SWUs cleared due to married segment logic when they werenít available on just the flight by itself. You are correct itís been this way for years, though.
I've certainly had several SWUs clear over the years when EF was at C0 but this doesn't have anything to do with married segment logic.

If this married segment upgrade space exists, then why couldn't the agents clear the OP on HNL-CLT-LGA when EF said C7??
Antarius likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 8:24 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 75K
Posts: 2,703
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
Itís something else ó maybe just luck. AA has confirmed that there is no married segments logic on SWUs. Works the same as comp upgrades ó each segment is independent.
Yup; "luck". Some of us have been manufacturing luck for years. Just sharing my experience; believe it if you (don't) want.

https://viewfromthewing.com/an-impor...ist-sometimes/
Erasmus is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 9:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,618
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Yup; "luck". Some of us have been manufacturing luck for years. Just sharing my experience; believe it if you (don't) want.

https://viewfromthewing.com/an-impor...ist-sometimes/
That's from 2015. Things have changed.

It is possible to clear a SWU when EF shows C0 if after the last sweep, something opened up. But that is different than EF showing bogus inventory when searching a connection in the C bucket.
Antarius is online now  
Old Mar 12, 21, 9:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,618
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
If this married segment upgrade space exists, then why couldn't the agents clear the OP on HNL-CLT-LGA when EF said C7??
Obviously some AAdvantage members are more special than others
JJeffrey likes this.
Antarius is online now  
Old Mar 12, 21, 9:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 75K
Posts: 2,703
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
That's from 2015. Things have changed.

It is possible to clear a SWU when EF shows C0 if after the last sweep, something opened up. But that is different than EF showing bogus inventory when searching a connection in the C bucket.
Sigh. I'm not sure why I'm arguing. You're right, married segment logic isn't a thing. Don't bother calling AA to find a competent agent to book it for you. That just leaves more inventory for those of us who wear tinfoil hats....
Erasmus is offline  
Old Mar 12, 21, 10:00 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,618
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Sigh. I'm not sure why I'm arguing. You're right, married segment logic isn't a thing. Don't bother calling AA to find a competent agent to book it for you. That just leaves more inventory for those of us who wear tinfoil hats....
I don't understand why you're arguing either. You're wrong.
Erasmus likes this.
Antarius is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: