Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Pre-pandemic I traveled out of AUS nearly every Monday and I found upgrades as a moderate spend EXP to be extremely difficult. As a 1K I experienced the same on UA. As mentioned above, upgrade lists were very long, even for the >500m flights to ORD and CLT. Lots of paid business tickets for people connecting to international flights through DFW and ORD.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
OKC was left off your list too, but was in the article.

I am curious of AA will ticket routes through AUS (i.e. TUL-AUS-RNO) and maybe be possible door to bargains if some of these flights aren't filling up easily.
I was wondering the same! Though at least for the OKC flight, it's poorly timed for connections (8 PM arrival into AUS from what I saw). Would definitely be cool to be able to fly OKC-AUS-LIR or something like that though.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
As of late 2019, I heard that AUS had the highest concentration of EXP's among all non-hub airports in the US.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
It's been a few years since I lived in Austin but the AC and United Club there were both deserted every time I flew. AUS is a leisure destination for most, and many employees at places like Apple, Amazon, and Oracle will probably never travel en masse again. I also got upgraded nearly every time I flew even on UA with just Silver status (equivalent of AA Gold, but no silly 500 mile upgrades on UA). It's not much of a business hub.
At non-peak hours the club can be quite empty, and was pre-Covid. Apart from a brief lull in business travel following the Great Recession, AUS has always been full of elites on all airlines. I remember in 1999 waiting to board an AUS-SJC flight (the "nerd bird") the GA announced that 3/4 of the plane was elite so they were just going to board by row. Definitely took a bit of the shine off my newly minted Gold status.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Interesting to say the least. Is AUS officially a focus city yet?

With the amount of folks fleeing places like NY and CA I’d only expect further growth. That said, it’s nice to see AA being innovative for a change.

This must be the highest amount of natural non-hub growth since the 90s or earlier.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by cmd320
Interesting to say the least. Is AUS officially a focus city yet?

With the amount of folks fleeing places like NY and CA I’d only expect further growth. That said, it’s nice to see AA being innovative for a change.

This must be the highest amount of natural non-hub growth since the 90s or earlier.
Focus city according to AA? Not yet: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ion-fall-2021/

"Despite all the new flights, American isn’t ready to call Austin a “focus city.” Airline spokesperson Brian Metahm told TPG that there are “no changes to how we view Austin.” Metham also confirmed that no existing routes are getting cut to make room for the new flights."

Focus city from an outside perspective? Sure.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:21 am

Looks like one of the CVG flights has already been cut. I haven't gone through multiple weeks of the schedule, but I was booked on the early flight to CVG and it no longer appears to be running. My flight change notice (a connection thru CLT) arrived today. Wonderful
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by brittex
Looks like one of the CVG flights has already been cut. I haven't gone through multiple weeks of the schedule, but I was booked on the early flight to CVG and it no longer appears to be running. My flight change notice (a connection thru CLT) arrived today. Wonderful
I read on CF that this was a mistake. AA meant to cancel the flight for one specific day but cancelled the entire sequence. Don't accept the change because the flight will supposedly be back next week.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:20 am
Suspended

interesting
Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:12 pm

I didn't see it mentioned that they've added a second non-stop to MCO, 2280 AUS-MCO leaves at 8AM, and 2938 MCO-AUS leaves at 12:30PM.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dls25
I read on CF that this was a mistake. AA meant to cancel the flight for one specific day but cancelled the entire sequence. Don't accept the change because the flight will supposedly be back next week.
That's exactly what happened. Thank you for this info
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I am not sure if this is representative of the entire AUS experiment, a simple lack of interest in the OKC flight, or a lack of bookings this fall due to Covid-19, but I was able to purchase a r/t ticket OKC-AUS-OKC in late October, leaving on Sunday and coming back on Wednesday, for $117. Below is what the seat map looked like on both flights when I selected my seats, despite what appears to be very low fares on the route. Not good!

Also, google flight search is giving me a lot of strange double-connections through AUS and another hub which are generally cheaper than any other option. This leads me to believe that AA is having to deeply discount to get butts in seats on these routes.

IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I am not sure if this is representative of the entire AUS experiment, a simple lack of interest in the OKC flight, or a lack of bookings this fall due to Covid-19, but I was able to purchase a r/t ticket OKC-AUS-OKC in late October, leaving on Sunday and coming back on Wednesday, for $117. Below is what the seat map looked like on both flights when I selected my seats, despite what appears to be very low fares on the route. Not good!

Also, google flight search is giving me a lot of strange double-connections through AUS and another hub which are generally cheaper than any other option. This leads me to believe that AA is having to deeply discount to get butts in seats on these routes.

Maybe the world has figured out Austin ain't as great as it has been billed?
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon

No one believed me when I said that these are pure leisure routes and AUS doesn't have enough business travelers to make these routes sustainable.

AA thought they were geniuses creating all these leisure routes to get ahead of Spirit and Frontier at AUS, and then the delta variant happened and interest in tourism in the south plummeted.
cmd320 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
No one believed me when I said that these are pure leisure routes and AUS doesn't have enough business travelers to make these routes sustainable.

AA thought they were geniuses creating all these leisure routes to get ahead of Spirit and Frontier at AUS, and then the delta variant happened and interest in tourism in the south plummeted.
Or perhaps since business travel is still near 0% and school started back, these leisure routes have run their course?

I'm scheduled to take one of these point-to-point routes next month, and another in November. The prices are very attractive (though nothing like the $112 quoted for OKC). I'd be interested to see how bookings look over fall break and other school holiday weekends.
thunderdeacon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.