Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX)

New direct (nonstop) flights from AUS (Austin, TX)

Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by enviroian
It's already there.
There were plans for a new, updated and larger Admirals Club in AUS, but it got mothballed.
dw and enviroian like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is getting to be on par with the strategy of the Scuderia Ferrari F1 team. Embarrassing.
Eh, most of us that actually live here and fly out of here knew most of these routes didn't have a prayer in the world of surviving long term. The majority of these routes never made sense, but were just some Covid panic responses.

Economically, it's just doesn't make a lot of sense to offer a bunch of non-stops to small, low demand destinations when your largest hub is literally 182 miles away...

Regards
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scubadu
Eh, most of us that actually live here and fly out of here knew most of these routes didn't have a prayer in the world of surviving long term. The majority of these routes never made sense, but were just some Covid panic responses.

Economically, it's just doesn't make a lot of sense to offer a bunch of non-stops to small, low demand destinations when your largest hub is literally 182 miles away...

Regards
Agree and that's exactly my point. AA has no strategy - they just lurch every 6 months to the "next big thing" only to wind it down soon after.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The only thing the mini Austin hub was good for (us customers outside of AUS demand/supply traffic) was the abundance of stupid low XXX-DFW-AUS-YYY types of award routings. Always hoped the XXX-DFW flight was delayed though so that at DFW you can just get on a DFW-YYY and skip the AUS layover (and, thankfully, that did happen a couple of times !!)

Otherwise, it would be nice to see those planes and pilots strengthen an existing hub (mid-continent to PHL would be my preference; and operationally might help support PHL as a Eur connection hub)
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by BrianV
There were plans for a new, updated and larger Admirals Club in AUS, but it got mothballed.
Pretty sure it the new club location was simply moved to the new 3-gate expansion, not mothballed. It'll take longer than if it was built where originally planned for a new club, but from what I've heard a new (larger) club in a new location is still definitely planned.
AAway and teemuflyer like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Pretty sure it the new club location was simply moved to the new 3-gate expansion, not mothballed. It'll take longer than if it was built where originally planned for a new club, but from what I've heard a new (larger) club in a new location is still definitely planned.
Last time I spoke with staff there they said theres no concrete plan. Im sure its on AAs list of desires and itll eventually happen, but I dont think they have dates or any actual plan together.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Last time I spoke with staff there they said theres no concrete plan. Im sure its on AAs list of desires and itll eventually happen, but I dont think they have dates or any actual plan together.
Maybe no concrete is involved
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'll miss the OKC/AUS flights. I had some decent luck with a few random connections of XXX-AUS-OKC here and there.

Agree they had no chance though and were just a dart to the wall to see what would happen.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Its definitely needed. It has been needed for many many years.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:22 pm

I woke up this morning to my March AUS-RNO flights canceled and rebooked on a connection through PHX. This sucks. Looking on AA.com, it seems Jan 5th is the last date for that non-stop.

They put me on a flight with a 45 min connection and I will have checked ski gear, so Ill need to call AA and find a better set of flights.
As a Reno-based AA loyalist, I was utterly shocked to see that RNO was not originally included in AA's announcement of the route cuts. I figured it was only a matter of time - apparently Elon's legion of fanboys transiting between Gigahubs doesn't amount to adequate butts in seats to maintain the route. While I hate to see any of our connections cut, this one never really made sense to me. I only hope they'll someday bring back our LAX and ORD flights (CLT would be nice to see return also for TATL connections, but I'm not holding my breath).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by gophish11
As a Reno-based AA loyalist, I was utterly shocked to see that RNO was not originally included in AA's announcement of the route cuts. I figured it was only a matter of time - apparently Elon's legion of fanboys transiting between Gigahubs doesn't amount to adequate butts in seats to maintain the route. While I hate to see any of our connections cut, this one never really made sense to me. I only hope they'll someday bring back our LAX and ORD flights (CLT would be nice to see return also for TATL connections, but I'm not holding my breath).
I flew this route several times, there were always heaps of people wearing Tesla gear and then me and my son skiing. I had 100% upgrade success on this route, and sadly for me, this was the ONLY non-stop flight from AUS to a ski destination (besides EGE which didnt have regular service and was priced horribly). As an Austinite who gets close to 40 days on the slopes, it hurts. I honestly used that AUS-DEN flight a ton as well. Ive used EGE a couple times but it was so bloody expensive and tended to be weekend only service. Cutting SMF also removes a reasonable Tahoe option. Its all so sad as an AA loyalist as UA and DL offer DEN and SLC.

I guess Ill be skiing Stevens Pass a lot this season and using that Alaska SEA non-stop and/or a lot of DFW connections.
gophish11 likes this.

Last edited by BrianV; Nov 6, 2023 at 5:39 pm
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:05 pm

I flew this route several times, there were always heaps of people wearing Tesla gear and then me and my son skiing. I had 100% upgrade success on this route, and sadly for me, this was the ONLY non-stop flight from AUS to a ski destination (besides EGE which didnt have regular service and was priced horribly). As an Austinite who gets close to 40 days on the slopes, it hurts. I honestly used that AUS-DEN flight a ton as well. Ive used EGE a couple times but it was so bloody expensive and tended to be weekend only service. Cutting SMF also removes a reasonable Tahoe option. Its all so sad as an AA loyalist as UA and DL offer DEN and SLC.

I guess Ill be skiing Stevens Pass a lot this season and using that Alaska SEA non-stop and/or a lot of DFW connections.
40 days while living in Austin - that's impressive! I sometimes struggle to reach 40 days and I'm only 30 minutes from Mt. Rose and an hour from Heavenly, Palisades, Alpine, Kirkwood, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably ski CO/NM and fly Southwest where the skis fly free...not that CO or NM hold a candle to Tahoe when it's firing (in my own biased opinion). I will admit that I will miss the AUS connections for - as you said - 100% upgrades as EXP.
dw and BrianV like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by gophish11
40 days while living in Austin - that's impressive! I sometimes struggle to reach 40 days and I'm only 30 minutes from Mt. Rose and an hour from Heavenly, Palisades, Alpine, Kirkwood, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably ski CO/NM and fly Southwest where the skis fly free...not that CO or NM hold a candle to Tahoe when it's firing (in my own biased opinion). I will admit that I will miss the AUS connections for - as you said - 100% upgrades as EXP.
Even with that caveat that's a bold statement!
gophish11 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Even with that caveat that's a bold statement!
I thought the same. I grew up skiing Tahoe, but when I moved from California to Austin, I started going to Colorado a lot more. CO and Utah still beat Tahoe in my book, but Ill never complain about skiing in Tahoe!
skunker likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I'm not a skier so no comment on the quality of skiing but JSX is still flying from Austin to Taos this winter. All of their other routes from Austin have been cut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.