Wiki Posts
Search

Can you reverse Checkin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Can you Undo / reverse Check in - ANSWERED

Can you undo / reverse the checked in status on you reservation after you have competed the 24 hr check in?

Last edited by bamin; Mar 11, 2021 at 6:10 am
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you call AA an agent should be able to un-check-you-in. Why?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
I had to cancel a mileage (C-inventory - Miles + $75) upgrade request which cleared on one leg (short one) and would have been stuck with paying even though the longer leg did not clear.

I did call back and this time the agent was able to uncheck & remove the request. HUCA works!
GunsOfNavarone likes this.

Last edited by bamin; Mar 11, 2021 at 6:12 am
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The few times I've asked to have a check-in reversed, I eventually got it reversed but the agents really, really didn't want to do it. It must be an annoying process on their end based on the push-back I've received.
ranran likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Call them and they can do it....at least the EXP line has been able to do this easily for me in the past.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Yes even TAs with GDS based tickets need it done often when their clients request last minute changes but for a third party its even worse as the airline wont uncheck the client in unless they themselves call in.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The few times I've asked to have a check-in reversed, I eventually got it reversed but the agents really, really didn't want to do it. It must be an annoying process on their end based on the push-back I've received.
I don't think it's that complicated, but the annoyance threshold may be rather low for some agents.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Yes even TAs with GDS based tickets need it done often when their clients request last minute changes but for a third party its even worse as the airline wont uncheck the client in unless they themselves call in.
Travel agents can do this for their clients on the carrier's agency website (SalesLink in the case of AA), then make any necessary changes in the GDS.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 11, 2021 at 6:48 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:01 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Many years ago United used to have a feature online that let you "cancel check-in" yourself. It was very convenient if you needed to make a change to your reservation. I'm not sure if they still have that feature.

Echoing what others have said, it is possible, but it must be a PITA for the agents because I have been told numerous times that it wasn't possible to cancel a check-in. I've only been successful by hanging up and getting another agent, or by being firm and pushing back.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I don't think it's that complicated, but the annoyance threshold may be rather low for some agents.

Travel agents can do this for their clients on the carrier's agency website (SalesLink in the case of AA), then make any necessary changes in the GDS.
Thats almost exclusively an AA perk. AFAIK this cannot be done on 90% of carriers.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Thats almost exclusively an AA perk. AFAIK this cannot be done on 90% of carriers.
Delta offers it as well, and I'd be surprised if United doesn't (I just don't book them enough to know).
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Delta offers it as well, and I'd be surprised if United doesn't (I just don't book them enough to know).
Of the three (AA, UA, DL), Delta is the only one who hasn't pushed back when I requested to cancel my check-in.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 1:04 pm

I still think 90% is accurate for the industry. I dont know any ME/Asia/Africa/European carriers that do.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Last month, I had a hell of a time trying to do this. Needed to make a last-minute change, and called the ExPlat desk twice on the way to the airport, and was told both times that I could not be un-checked-in over the phone, and that any changes needed to be made at the airport. It took three agents 30 minutes to cancel the checkin and make the change, at which point it would have been easier to just cancel the original for a credit and rebook.

Only other data point I have is that I did this on B6 years ago without any problem.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Same here. I've needed to do it once or twice to be reaccommodated due to weather, and yes, it's laborious and time-consuming. EXP phone agents said I would need to go to an airport agent to un-check me in, which she did after a grimace and a LOT of typing (with the assistance of a colleague, who knew the system better). I think it must be a really annoying and complex process, as you say.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by meechyathere
Only other data point I have is that I did this on B6 years ago without any problem.
And all it takes is a click in the "Manage Trip" function on B6's website.

What a difference...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.