Main cabin but no seats?

Old Mar 5, 21, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Main cabin but no seats?

Hello im looking at a flight from cle to cun. It has a main cabin fare but when you look at the seat map there are no open main cabin seats available. How does this work?
Old Mar 5, 21, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EP
Blocked seats? Overselling? Expected elite upgrades? Expected Cabin roll?

Originally Posted by rashodw View Post
Hello im looking at a flight from cle to cun. It has a main cabin fare but when you look at the seat map there are no open main cabin seats available. How does this work?
rashodw and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 5, 21, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
Blocked seats? Overselling? Expected elite upgrades? Expected Cabin roll?
so would i not be able to pick a seat thats included even though im paying for main cabin?
Old Mar 5, 21, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are. You may pick from any available seat. If there are none, you will have to wait for one to open up.
Old Mar 6, 21, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
It would be helpful to know exactly what flight and what date you are looking at. But in any event you will get a seat. You just might have to wait until checkin (or sometimes until you arrive at the departure gate) to choose it.
Old Mar 6, 21, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, BonVoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have had this happen and called AA, who confirmed that was correct. I was guaranteed a seat, but it could technically be a middle seat. Now the odds are that people who have confirmed seats will be upgraded, or that Golds will move to MCE in their 24 hour window, that people will cancel or change flights. You can watch the seat map and change to a seat at any time one is available since you are booking MC, but there is a small risk, indeed It's pretty small though.
Old Mar 6, 21, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz View Post
I have had this happen and called AA, who confirmed that was correct. I was guaranteed a seat, but it could technically be a middle seat. Now the odds are that people who have confirmed seats will be upgraded, or that Golds will move to MCE in their 24 hour window, that people will cancel or change flights. You can watch the seat map and change to a seat at any time one is available since you are booking MC, but there is a small risk, indeed It's pretty small though.
Also, if you do not have status when you look at the seat map, you cannot see the seats that are reserved for elites, whether they have been assigned or not.
The good news is if you aren't happy with not being able to pick a seat, then you know this in advance and can book basic economy, if available, and if you are ok with the other limitations (Group 9 boarding for non-elites, reduced miles, etc)
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 21, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I do not have status. The Leg is phl to cun march 17 915 am.
Old Mar 6, 21, 8:14 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by rashodw View Post
Thanks for the responses. I do not have status. The Leg is phl to cun march 17 915 am.
I just checked the 17th and I see lots of seats. Are you sure you are not basic economy? That being said even if it is basic economy it should be showing as a seat for purchase.

I wonder if there was a schedule change in progress or something that was restricting hte seat maps. It shows as a 787.
Old Mar 6, 21, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
I just checked the 17th and I see lots of seats. Are you sure you are not basic economy? That being said even if it is basic economy it should be showing as a seat for purchase.

I wonder if there was a schedule change in progress or something that was restricting hte seat maps. It shows as a 787.
Maybe something was going on. I see seats now! Thanks..
travelingdrsuz and Spiff like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: