Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best way to access Admirals Club for occasional flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

The spouse and I are Delta Platinums, but find ourselves flying AA more and more being DFW based, and have somewhat abandoned Southwest for AA's lower prices and better non-stop options at DFW. Because of that we were thinking of getting Admirals Club access. My spouse made Gold on AA last year through a few casual trips and work trips but I'm still a nobody.

I was thinking the Citi-Card would be the best way to go to gain access, but curious what you see are pros and cons and if another route for lounge access might be better? One option would be the Centurion Lounge and change our DL Reserve Card to the Amex Platinum? But maybe not as convenient as AA's Admirals Clubs at DFW.

Having visited the Admirals Club, I realize it's certainly not a Centurion Lounge or even as nice as the offerings at the Sky Clubs, but it seems to be decent enough...
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:37 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How occasional? A day pass is probably a better deal than a $500 credit card if you only use it a few times.

Both the Amex Plat or the Citi Executive card are pretty good deals the first year with the signup bonus. Doing them sequentially would be ideal. If you travel together, you could stretch it out to four years worth of first-year bonuses in two-player mode. If you travel separately, the AA card is slightly better since it gives authorized users cards for free, and they get lounge access too.

I do like the Amex lounge better, and especially because it’s airline-independent for access.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I'd suggest taking advantage of a status match with Alaska. Right now, you can get a free match from DL Platinum to MVP Gold 75K through the rest of 2021, with no requirements whatsoever. With that, you can purchase an Alaska Lounge membership for $300 ($150 discount). That will get the member and two guests into any Admirals Club when flying AA or Alaska.

This won't get both you and spouse into the lounge when traveling independently like the Citi Exec card, but it's a solid approach to a first year of unlimited access to the AC. Assuming you never set foot on an Alaska plane, you'd have to decide to get the Citi card and/or Amex Plat for year 2 (although the Amex Plat $200 airline credit can be used to offset the Alaska Lounge membership too).

If you and spouse are traveling together, day passes will eat up cash very quickly, as they are $59 per person. If the club is near capacity, they may suspend sales of day passes, also (I have not seen any evidence of Alaska Lounge members being denied entry when ACs are busy, or vice-versa).

As an added benefit, AS MVP 75K will get you Oneworld Emerald status, as well as some perks/upgrades on AA TBD sometime this year, but you will have to decide whether you want to build AA miles or use the perks from the AS partnership with AA.

If you decide to get the Amex Platinum, make sure you check Amex's own restaurant reservations platform Resy.com and compare bonus offers there to others that are more widely promoted on the blogs. Right now they are offering 20% in restaurant charge rebates, up to $300 in the first 12 months of membership in addition to 75,000 membership rewards and 10x points on gas and groceries for a limited time.

https://resy.com/amex-offers (this is not an affiliate link)

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 2, 2021 at 4:22 pm Reason: clarification/amplification
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold

<SNIP>

Having visited the Admirals Club, I realize it's certainly not a Centurion Lounge or even as nice as the offerings at the Sky Clubs, but it seems to be decent enough...
Last 3 times I've been through DFW the Centurion was on a waitlist due to capacity restrictions. That may change after today's announcement by the Texas Governor.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I'd suggest taking advantage of a status match with Alaska. Right now, you can get a free match from DL Platinum to MVP Gold 75K through the rest of 2021, with no requirements whatsoever. With that, you can purchase an Alaska Lounge membership for $300 ($150 discount). That will get the member and two guests into any Admirals Club when flying AA or Alaska.
I still find it amusing that it's a better deal to purchase an AS Lounge membership (even at full price) to access the ACs rather than purchasing a membership through AA.

Originally Posted by jhalapin
Last 3 times I've been through DFW the Centurion was on a waitlist due to capacity restrictions.
Same experience last weekend. Around a 25 minute wait mid-afternoon.
NYC Flyer and jhalapin like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Another approach might be is an AX Hilton Aspire, you would get an annual $250 AA credit enough for 4 AC passes.
i see your a Marriott guy but the $450 would also get you
Weekend stay anywhere - we used ours at the Bentley (around $500)
$250 resort credit - kind of hard to use but not impossible
Diamond status - free breakfast and lounge access plus 5th night free on points stay - I assume you already get that with Marriott
Decent sign up bonus - around 130k,
Not sure on the spend as I’ve had mine several years

Let’s take an extreme example - WA Beverly Hills
Friday free
Saturday 95k
Sunday you buy down the rate with your left over points and use the resort credit
You have around a $2400 weekend for $450 plus you get your AC passes

I forgot, not sure if it’s targeted for 2021 - 11 months of $20/mo food credit at any restaurant
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'd be willing to spend the $$$ on AC admission at another airport concesion
freeagent and aztimm like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'd be willing to spend the $$$ on AC admission at another airport concesion
The problem here is what is "occasional"?

If one is really an occasional traveler, then we may be talking 2-3 times a year, if that. If we use 3 trips a year, with a minimum of 2 visits to the AA club per trip (one out/one back), then we are talking 6 one-day passes or $354/year for passes. And all you get is admission to the club.

If you get the AA Executive Card, you will pay an additional $96 but have unlimited admission for you and your wife over the next year. If you have children, they also can get a card with admission privileges along with luggage and boarding priority.

Furthermore, you will get AA airline miles for your spend, whatever it may be (mild whoop, I know), and some other benefits like luggage and boarding priority. More importantly, you get access to the agents in the club in case something goes boing in the night, which is not so far-fetched with AA

So, if you are talking 1-2 trips a year with one or 2 visits per trip, then, sure, day passes. If $150 is important, then perhaps paying for Alaska Club and using the crossover is an idea. But you are located at DFW, and are thinking of doing more that just 1-2 trips a year, then I think that AA and Citi have made a pretty compelling reason to get their credit card if you want club access, with a few other minimal benefits.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is this 100% about the dollar outlay or does the quality of the experience come into play?

If quality matters -- even remotely -- I suspect that you come out way, way, way ahead by choosing a few enjoyable things at the average airport.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Often1
Is this 100% about the dollar outlay or does the quality of the experience come into play?

If quality matters -- even remotely -- I suspect that you come out way, way, way ahead by choosing a few enjoyable things at the average airport.
What "enjoyable" things have you found at the airport recently

For many, sitting in a quiet environment, hooking into an uncluttered internet and sipping a beer probably is as good as it is going to get
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:27 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There is also the priority pass lounge at D. Lots of credit cards get you in. There is also sort of a sunk cost thing via paying upfront. You’ll use whatever lounges more if you’ve already paid annually vs. deciding to pay $50 on the day for a pass vs just eating at Reatta or whatever.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
We went ahead with the Citi card - Being based in DFW and already four trips planned before April 15th on AA, it just made sense I think. Got the second cardholder as well so we can use independently. I think we may give AA a bit more business this year and dump Southwest as they have cut their schedule back dramatically at Love Field. With Delta's rollover, I only need my credit card bonus to post and I'm PM on them again (I think similar to Platinum Pro at AA) so maybe I'll try to get to Platinum on AA this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.