FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: 2019 MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2035097-archive-help-desk-2019-milesaaver-saaver-award-questions-assistance.html)

yminev Jan 1, 2019 10:18 am

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: 2019 MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Hello All. Happy new year : )

After looking at some flight options, I started to get frustrated with the change in logic for award availability. In short, I am looking for a connection GVA-LHR-PHL-MHT. The only option that comes up as Milesaaver is with 6 hrs in PHL.

However, if checking by segment, GVA-LHR-PHL and PHL-MHT are both available on a good itinerary with 2.5hr connection time in PHL. Earlier this week, this same more convenient option showed up as a connection as well on a direct GVA-MHT search.

Is there any tricks to help me get what I want? Would you advise that I just book them as a separate award tickets on the same PNR by paying the extra miles for PHL-MHT? I am aware I can do a stand by, but don't want to risk it

Thank you!

BLG Jan 1, 2019 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa (Post 30586994)

This phantom award business is very nerve-rattling!!

That's the truth -- It's driven me nuts more than once!!

BarrenLucidity Jan 1, 2019 1:36 pm

Feels like a lot of the DFW/ORD -> NRT U rewards are requiring 13+ hour layovers that drag the outgoing next flight into the following day making the entire trip +24 hours. I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there from CLT and some of these U ticket routes are a complete joke. 3 stop minimum + 13-14 hour layovers. If I try and route myself out of DFW or ORD directly award availability basically disappears for U.

Wasn't like this last year :(

guv1976 Jan 1, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by yminev (Post 30595551)
Hello All. Happy new year : )

After looking at some flight options, I started to get frustrated with the change in logic for award availability. In short, I am looking for a connection GVA-LHR-PHL-MHT. The only option that comes up as Milesaaver is with 6 hrs in PHL.

However, if checking by segment, GVA-LHR-PHL and PHL-MHT are both available on a good itinerary with 2.5hr connection time in PHL. Earlier this week, this same more convenient option showed up as a connection as well on a direct GVA-MHT search.

Is there any tricks to help me get what I want? Would you advise that I just book them as a separate award tickets on the same PNR by paying the extra miles for PHL-MHT? I am aware I can do a stand by, but don't want to risk it

Thank you!

It might not work, but you could try using the multi-city award-booking engine to put GVA-PHL on hold, and the specific PHL-MHT flight you want on hold. Then, call AA and see if the agent is able to reprice the entire itinerary as a single award.

Of course, if you purchase GVA-PHL now with the long connection, and the earlier PHL-MHT flight becomes available for a married-segment award, you should be able to switch to the earlier flight at no charge.

yminev Jan 1, 2019 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30596248)

Of course, if you purchase GVA-PHL now with the long connection, and the earlier PHL-MHT flight becomes available for a married-segment award, you should be able to switch to the earlier flight at no charge.

Thank you - this is something I did not know. Seems like the smartest option.

To follow-up on my prior message, the PHL-MHT flight with the good 2.5 hr connection in PHL was actually phantom availability, with an error message showing up before the final confirmation.

SJWarrior Jan 2, 2019 6:49 am

So if I set alerts on EF. It looks like you can only set alerts for the individual legs. It may not show up because of a married segment reason?

stephem Jan 2, 2019 11:42 am

I had seen the recent AA announcement that they are removing the ex-Canada subregion and returning to the world where all ex NA awards price the same. i thought it would be effective Jan 1, but it’s not effective until Jan 16. I am an EXP w 5 CX biz awards on hold YVR-HKG, I was waiting til Jan 1 to book but no love, the old ex-Canada rate applies now. Trying to figure out the beat approach... I cannot find AS award space for SEA-YVR (SEA is where we live) and so the awards will price slightly higher if I lock them now. As a result, I am wondering can I do this:
(1) Add DFW-YVR to get ex US pricing (plenty of space in U to do this)
(2) wait until Jan16 and then call in to drop DFW-YVR segment, this will be an even swap since ex-Canada will no longer be a sub region
(3) watch for AS availability for SEA-YVR and add it or just drive up to YVR

This should work without needing to lose the CX awards shouldnt it? Or should I try to book ex Canada now, pay the premium and then seek to rebook post Jan 16? I’d prefer to not pay the surplus as it would require using miles in a family member’s account who is only Gold and so i lose the ability to add HKG-SGN or HKG-REP for free.

VegasGambler Jan 2, 2019 4:39 pm

This question is not meant to be tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, complaining, or anything like that. It's an honest question from someone who doesn't know.

Does sAAver first award availability on AA (not BA) actually exist to LHR? I checked literally every day from every gateway for 3 months in summer and found nothing.

I booked J. I'm happy with it but I'd be happier in F -- I'd gladly pay the extra miles at the sAAver rate. Is it worth it for me to keep checking or is there basically zero chance of it ever popping up?

SJWarrior Jan 2, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30601407)
This question is not meant to be tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, complaining, or anything like that. It's an honest question from someone who doesn't know.

Does sAAver first award availability on AA (not BA) actually exist to LHR? I checked literally every day from every gateway for 3 months in summer and found nothing.

I booked J. I'm happy with it but I'd be happier in F -- I'd gladly pay the extra miles at the sAAver rate. Is it worth it for me to keep checking or is there basically zero chance of it ever popping up?

seriously you found AA biz saver award to LHR. I have been searching only one month but to any city in Europe on AA but all I find is BA.

I asked upthraad if it was due to married logic but haven’t heard back yet.

VegasGambler Jan 2, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 30601983)

seriously you found AA biz saver award to LHR. I have been searching only one month but to any city in Europe on AA but all I find is BA.

I asked upthraad if it was due to married logic but haven’t heard back yet.

Oh sorry. I think it was married logic (out of SFO). I didnt check to see if the individual segments had their own availability though.

I don't think I did anything special here. I searched for SFO-LHR with the "AA only" option, looked at the full calendar, and kept moving it forward 2 weeks at a time, and wrote down all the days that had availability. Then I did the same in the reverse direction, and found 2 that were a little more than a week apart (which was how long I wanted my trip to be). Then I did a search for that date allowing "all partners" and using MLA as the destination instead of LHR (which is where I actually want to go), picked the option that routed on AA for TATL, held it, and booked it a few hours later.

For the outbound, there were a several scattered days of availability in July and August. For the return there was a lot more.

I'm flying SFO-LAX-LHR / LGW-MLA there, and MLA-LGW / LHR-JFK-SFO back, all in J. The stops in London are overnight but less than 24hr. BA for the LGW-MLA-LGW legs; AA on everything else.

Obviously I was extremely flexible with dates (this is a vacation to visit family -- I can go whenever I want) so I was willing to take anything in June, July, or August.

I'm not sure which month you are searching but I found nothing in June (I didn't check earlier)

SJWarrior Jan 2, 2019 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30602038)
Oh sorry. I think it was married logic (out of SFO). I didnt check to see if the individual segments had their own availability though.

I don't think I did anything special here. I searched for SFO-LHR with the "AA only" option, looked at the full calendar, and kept moving it forward 2 weeks at a time, and wrote down all the days that had availability. Then I did the same in the reverse direction, and found 2 that were a little more than a week apart (which was how long I wanted my trip to be). Then I did a search for that date allowing "all partners" and using MLA as the destination instead of LHR (which is where I actually want to go), picked the option that routed on AA for TATL, held it, and booked it a few hours later.

For the outbound, there were a several scattered days of availability in July and August. For the return there was a lot more.

I'm flying SFO-LAX-LHR / LGW-MLA there, and MLA-LGW / LHR-JFK-SFO back, all in J. The stops in London are overnight but less than 24hr. BA for the LGW-MLA-LGW legs; AA on everything else.

Obviously I was extremely flexible with dates (this is a vacation to visit family -- I can go whenever I want) so I was willing to take anything in June, July, or August.

I'm not sure which month you are searching but I found nothing in June (I didn't check earlier)

thank you for the detailed response. I’m looking in 2nd week of September. But I am using expert flyer. And it only shows segments unless I’m doing something wrong.
I’ve used the AA site numerous times as well. Only find BA J availability with the killer fees. I sit in front of a computer at work so I spend a decent amount of time looking. I’m willing to land almost anywhere in Europe via AA or non BA, and move around from there. I’ve literally looked at every option I can find on EF but maybe I’m going about it all wrong ?

3Cforme Jan 2, 2019 8:46 pm

The utility of EF award alerts is certainly lessened in a world of married segment availability awards. That's not unique to AA - DL and UA practice it, too.

That there isn't award space today doesn't mean there won't be award space some time later. If you're willing to go 'anywhere' in Europe, prioritize destinations served by AA metal, then AY and IB.

VegasGambler Jan 2, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 30602119)

thank you for the detailed response. I’m looking in 2nd week of September. But I am using expert flyer. And it only shows segments unless I’m doing something wrong.
I’ve used the AA site numerous times as well. Only find BA J availability with the killer fees. I sit in front of a computer at work so I spend a decent amount of time looking. I’m willing to land almost anywhere in Europe via AA or non BA, and move around from there. I’ve literally looked at every option I can find on EF but maybe I’m going about it all wrong ?

No, EF will show married segments.

Do an end-to-end search and it will show entire routings, with either all segments showing a seat or not.

I find it easier to search on AA rather than EF (due to the calendar view). Be sure to go to the advanced search and search "American only" to exclude the BA results.

VegasGambler Jan 2, 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 30602119)

thank you for the detailed response. I’m looking in 2nd week of September.

By the way, I don't see anything in the 2nd week of September either. I do see SFO-JFK-LHR (all AA J) on Aug 27th though.

The search on AA.com is actually quite good. At first I found the calendar a bit clunky to use but once I got used to it I found it to be MUCH easier than EF (where you can only search one week at a time and you have to constantly filter for routes where there's availability)

Edit: I see 17 days of availability for SFO-LHR in J in the range of July 5 - Aug 27. This really isn't that rare (at least for those months)

Outside of that date range, though, it's a lot more scarce.

SJWarrior Jan 4, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30602259)
By the way, I don't see anything in the 2nd week of September either. I do see SFO-JFK-LHR (all AA J) on Aug 27th though.

The search on AA.com is actually quite good. At first I found the calendar a bit clunky to use but once I got used to it I found it to be MUCH easier than EF (where you can only search one week at a time and you have to constantly filter for routes where there's availability)

Edit: I see 17 days of availability for SFO-LHR in J in the range of July 5 - Aug 27. This really isn't that rare (at least for those months)

Outside of that date range, though, it's a lot more scarce.

I took your advice and looked through AA. Put a couple on hold, and am having my SO change her Vaca days. The awards are there end of August but disappear quickly after the 1st. If it plays out that way I will connect through JFK with enough time to visit the FL lounge. I assume a J award still gets into the FL lounge.

tjanks for all the help everybody. Hopefully she can get the says off, otherwise it’s back to the drawing board.