Community
Wiki Posts
Search

June Domestic Schedule Updates?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I had a 777-300ER -> 737-800 Oasis change on MIA-DFW so expect everything as an aircraft change. As this flight was a part of a mileage run where I was maximizing the number of flights per day that I could take, I was OK with the aircraft change and did not rebook myself. ( I had a schedule change on another flight on the reservation so I had the right for a free change within the -24/+24 hour window of my original flight )
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by formeraa
Bottom Line: The contract of carriage clearly states that specific aircraft types are NEVER guaranteed. Historically, if AA put a widebody on a route, it is usually an indication that there WERE intending to fly a widebody. The normal "placeholders" on domestic routes would be the 738 or 321 only. So, it is not "bait-and-switch" (however frustrating it might be).
I totally get that aircraft type is not guaranteed. And if they genuinely intend to fly the 787 and it just doesn't work out, that's what I'd call SOP. I'm drawing my conclusion about the aircraft swap from the fact that I had this flight booked for late May, and when they made the May schedule change they downgraded this aircraft. (It became a moot point for that trip because of other schedule changes.) I admit that I didn't check other dates. As of today, the 787 is scheduled every day in June starting June 2, but not on any days before. If when they do the June schedule update they swap the 787 for a 321 for every dates on the calendar, I'll be inclined to think they were placeholders, not schedules.

If it was a "couldn't help it" situation, I'd still think it's reasonable for me to ask AA to switch me to the nonstop. If it was a "we never planned to" case, then they should give me my $82 back (which is about as likely as me bearing a child) and switch me to the nonstop.

We all accept a lot of conditions in airline travel that are light years below what we'd expect from any other industry because we know stuff happens that the airline can't help. But we do expect them to make their best effort.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I totally get that aircraft type is not guaranteed. And if they genuinely intend to fly the 787 and it just doesn't work out, that's what I'd call SOP. I'm drawing my conclusion about the aircraft swap from the fact that I had this flight booked for late May, and when they made the May schedule change they downgraded this aircraft. (It became a moot point for that trip because of other schedule changes.) I admit that I didn't check other dates. As of today, the 787 is scheduled every day in June starting June 2, but not on any days before. If when they do the June schedule update they swap the 787 for a 321 for every dates on the calendar, I'll be inclined to think they were placeholders, not schedules.

If it was a "couldn't help it" situation, I'd still think it's reasonable for me to ask AA to switch me to the nonstop. If it was a "we never planned to" case, then they should give me my $82 back (which is about as likely as me bearing a child) and switch me to the nonstop.

We all accept a lot of conditions in airline travel that are light years below what we'd expect from any other industry because we know stuff happens that the airline can't help. But we do expect them to make their best effort.
Most likely when the placeholder schedule ends and the actual schedule is loaded the flight numbers and the timings would change so that would auto-qualify yourself for a free change. At that time, you could make your choice and rebook yourself into anything -24/+24 hours from your original departure time.

It's a low possibility but if the flight numbers remain the same & the timings remain similar for both PHL-LAX & LAX-LAS and the aircraft type for the first leg changes, you would be out of luck for a free change. Although as you're an AA EXP, you might get a goodwill gesture.

Also, forget about a refund based on historic fares when you ask to be rebooked when the actual schedule kicks in. If your new desired itinerary is higher in terms of price compared to what you paid ( $482 ), the fare difference would be waived. If not, you would be rebooked on the same fare basis ( not to a cheaper one ), although you could get a voucher and purchase a separate ticket with that voucher and get the money difference at that time, if the direct flight is cheaper in F at that time.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:41 am

I am a bit surprised to see no changes yet to my June bookings. I would have expected June to be locked in by now.. Has anyone seen a schedule update pushed for June?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyAA
I am a bit surprised to see no changes yet to my June bookings. I would have expected June to be locked in by now.. Has anyone seen a schedule update pushed for June?
My overall impression from this and other threads is changes will get push towards the bottom half of April.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyAA
for quite some months the updates for a month came on the last sunday two months before, so basically approx. 5 weeks before. somewhen last fall they changed it to the mid of that month, some 6 7 weeks before.

next sunday would be my bet.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Big AA May update (through June 2nd) was loaded on March 13th which was 4 weeks ago, so they are perhaps a bit behind for June update and it will very likely happen next weekend. DL loaded their May update 3 weekends ago (March 20th) for schedule through June 4th, and they could very well load June next weekend. UA was a laggard and didn't load May update (through June 2nd) until the weekend of March 27th. Actually, I believe UA did it somewhat piecemeal and loaded the first half of May one weekend, and the latter half the next weekend.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Schedule change affecting June flights were loaded during past 12 hours
dciolli and MrsWLV like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.