CUN check-in experiences?

Old Feb 28, 21, 4:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 489
CUN check-in experiences?

I haven't flown AA in a very long time. Just became Platinum on a status challenge. Flying out of Cancun (CUN) - wondering - how much lead time do I really need? Is there an express check-in for AA/oneworld status? I do need to check a bag.

Trying to be realistic about lead time and I don't want to show up hours early, foregoing valuable pool time, unless it's really going to be necessary. Thanks all!
flyerUSA is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 5:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DSM
Posts: 38
Flew CUN-CLT-DSM 2 weeks ago. We flew J so we had access to the priority line as will you as P. We waited behind one couple in line for about 1 minute The agent pondered our Covid test results for about 2 minutes and then we had to scan a code with our phone and fill out a health questionnaire after checking in (nonsense because if somebody has presented themselves at the airport to board the flight they are going to lie on the questionnaire if they have symptoms). Fill this out before going through security because they ask to see it as you are going through security. All in all between checking our passports/Covid tests and bags and filling out the questionnaire it probably took us 10 minutes. We always go sit on the floor in the north side of the ground floor until an hour before our flight because once you go through security you have to pitch your water/drinks and CUN is the epitome of highway robbery when it comes to purchasing food/beverages post security. We arrived 2 hours pre-flight and still sat on the floor for a good 45 minutes. Security took about 5 minutes. Even if we had been in the normal line when we checked in it was so short that it would have likely only added 10 minutes to our time. CUN was deserted, it was very creepy. I see no reason to show up more than 2 hours early. Unless there is a wreck that shuts down the highway you will be fine with 2 hours.

Last edited by F16wannabe; Feb 28, 21 at 5:33 pm Reason: Can't spell
F16wannabe is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 5:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 2,880
I flew from Cancun to JFK about a week ago on American Airlines in first class with a friend. We waited in line for about 10 minutes for checkin. We chose to go to separate checkin agents, The agent that I went to was very quick, but my friends agent took five minutes or more to process his check in.

You wont be able to get your boarding pass in app, and there are separate check in areas for people who used VeriFLY.
donotblink is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:32 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
"CUN was deserted, it was very creepy"

Why is that?
flyertalker28100 is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:50 pm
  #5  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 2,282
If you have Priority Pass, the Mera Business Lounges are reasonably good places to wait.
chrisny2 is online now  
Old Feb 28, 21, 11:44 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 21,390
Originally Posted by F16wannabe View Post
Flew CUN-CLT-DSM 2 weeks ago. We flew J so we had access to the priority line as will you as P. We waited behind one couple in line for about 1 minute The agent pondered our Covid test results for about 2 minutes and then we had to scan a code with our phone and fill out a health questionnaire after checking in (nonsense because if somebody has presented themselves at the airport to board the flight they are going to lie on the questionnaire if they have symptoms). Fill this out before going through security because they ask to see it as you are going through security. All in all between checking our passports/Covid tests and bags and filling out the questionnaire it probably took us 10 minutes. We always go sit on the floor in the north side of the ground floor until an hour before our flight because once you go through security you have to pitch your water/drinks and CUN is the epitome of highway robbery when it comes to purchasing food/beverages post security. We arrived 2 hours pre-flight and still sat on the floor for a good 45 minutes. Security took about 5 minutes. Even if we had been in the normal line when we checked in it was so short that it would have likely only added 10 minutes to our time. CUN was deserted, it was very creepy. I see no reason to show up more than 2 hours early. Unless there is a wreck that shuts down the highway you will be fine with 2 hours.
Do you get the COVID test at the CUN airport?
mvoight is offline  
Old Mar 1, 21, 7:03 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DSM
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by deriant View Post
"CUN was deserted, it was very creepy"

Why is that?
Normally CUN is a bustling crowded busy airport. I'll bet there were 20% of the normal amount of people in the airport if that. Many of the restaurants and shops in the terminal aren't even open. Covid and Covid related restrictions on travel by various countries is devastating this region which is 100% reliant on tourism for their economy.
F16wannabe is offline  
Old Mar 1, 21, 7:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DSM
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Do you get the COVID test at the CUN airport?
There is a place to get a rapid test in the airport. I personally wouldn't wait until the last minute like that. Many resorts in the area including the one that we stayed at are providing the antigen test free of charge onsite. We simply went to a designated building on the resort and got our brains swabbed 2 days before our departure. Our results were provided in writing the next morning. Our resort had a designated building where anybody who happened to test positive as well as their travelling companion could quarantine for 14 days free of charge. The resorts are jumping through hoops to try and get people to still come visit.
Yreal, ESpen36 and Zacnlinc like this.
F16wannabe is offline  
Old Mar 1, 21, 8:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Gold, MMRRT Plat
Posts: 874
Originally Posted by marcworld View Post
I haven't flown AA in a very long time. Just became Platinum on a status challenge. Flying out of Cancun (CUN) - wondering - how much lead time do I really need? Is there an express check-in for AA/oneworld status? I do need to check a bag.

Trying to be realistic about lead time and I don't want to show up hours early, foregoing valuable pool time, unless it's really going to be necessary. Thanks all!
It usually takes my wife and I 15-20 minutes to check-in and get through security at CUN. Of course if there is a family of four in front of us that has never flown in the past 10 years, it will take significantly longer.

Regardless of airport, an easy way to spot Priority Check-in areas is that they have a red-colored line queue. Blue is for Main Cabin. Unless you're checking bags, another nice hack is to use the self-serve kiosks if it's super busy AND just gate-check your bag. I don't believe CUN has a Priority security line, I think they mash everyone together. Quite the contrary, if you ever fly out of DFW you have a private check-in area and security line that cuts you straight to the front in Terminal A, where you can then take the airside AirTran even if you fly out of a different terminal.

I'd also encourage you to get the Citi AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard that gives you access to all Admirals Clubs with a same-day AA boarding pass. Annual Fee is ~$500, but you get a $200 credit towards flights and hotels, not to mention an annual Admirals Club membership would cost in excess of that annual fee.
GlobalMatt is offline  
Old Mar 1, 21, 2:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 2,880
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt View Post
I'd also encourage you to get the Citi AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard that gives you access to all Admirals Clubs with a same-day AA boarding pass. Annual Fee is ~$500, but you get a $200 credit towards flights and hotels, not to mention an annual Admirals Club membership would cost in excess of that annual fee.
Is that $200 credit new? Also ins't the fee $450?!?
donotblink is offline  
Old Mar 1, 21, 3:07 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Gold, MMRRT Plat
Posts: 874
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Is that $200 credit new? Also ins't the fee $450?!?
This is what happens when I post before drinking my coffee. Got my wires crossed on the $200 credit. $450 annual, yes. (Feels like $500 maybe?) The point was more geared toward the lounge access.
GlobalMatt is offline  
Old Mar 3, 21, 5:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
If you have Priority Pass, the Mera Business Lounges are reasonably good places to wait.
I agree and was there recently. The priority pass app and web site also say that this lounge will "no longer be part of the program" effective 23 Mar 2021. I hope that is incorrect. Will see if they still accept Diner's Club after that date. I'll be there not longer after that date.

Verifly app is buggy but the airport experience was great and the separate checkin counter had an even shorter line than the premium counter. I do the health questionnaire on my phone on the way to the airport. Security line isn't usually too bad but I wish they had a separate premium pax line. It's been awesome that there have been 787 DFW-CUN flights now and back around Xmas.

rayfes is offline  
Old Mar 3, 21, 11:18 am
  #13  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 2,282
Originally Posted by rayfes View Post
I agree and was there recently. The priority pass app and web site also say that this lounge will "no longer be part of the program" effective 23 Mar 2021. I hope that is incorrect. Will see if they still accept Diner's Club after that date. I'll be there not longer after that date.

Verifly app is buggy but the airport experience was great and the separate checkin counter had an even shorter line than the premium counter. I do the health questionnaire on my phone on the way to the airport. Security line isn't usually too bad but I wish they had a separate premium pax line. It's been awesome that there have been 787 DFW-CUN flights now and back around Xmas.

That's too bad! I will say, pre-COVID, it would sometimes get packed with international customers (it was the business class lounge for several airlines). Maybe they are expecting an increase of traffic to make social distancing in that small lounge impossible.
chrisny2 is online now  
Old Mar 4, 21, 5:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 10
Experience

No issues getting through lines and getting through security, took about 30-45 minutes.

both wife and I had VeriFLY and that made us get to front very quickly. The VeriFLY line had less people than the premium line. The regular line was probably trending 30-45 minutes and we were in and out in 15 minutes. Nobody once looked at our printed COVID results.
rayfes likes this.
TalAir99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread