Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Live Situation: Likely stuck in DFW unless I change from BUR to LAX

Old Feb 28, 21, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...

I am flying from GSP to BUR through DFW on AA. Iíve experienced many a delay and situation, but not this one. Iím delayed leaving GSP but weíre all on the plane. Leaving any minute I think. Donít know why weíre ground stopped.

Assuming the DFW to BUR flight leaves without me (and I suspect they may be happy it seems oversold too) - I imagine theyíll try to get me to accept the ONE flight to LAX that night for free. Do I have to take it? Burbank is so much easier. If they either compensate me (and donít give me a hotel) or give me a night at a Hyatt (place is fine) and then a flight tomorrow (ideally evening) Iíd be fine with that, rather than going to LAX.

Are there any weird fare rules where they can change your end destination for non emergencies even if the two airports are only 20-30 miles apart? BURBANK is sooo much easier. About to take off so hoping for some advice when I land. I suspect we will miss my connecting flight by 10 minutes.
Old Feb 28, 21, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
They will offer to reaccommodate, but if you are ticket to BUR, you are ticketed to BUR. What is the reason for the delay?

Just so you know, there are delays inbound and outbound to DFW. So, your BUR flight -might- be late as well.
Old Feb 28, 21, 2:46 pm

Meh. Your inbound is AA228 from IAH (tail number N885NN). Its running late but has enough cushion to depart on time.NN885NN885NNN
Old Feb 28, 21, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
They won't automatically change you from BUR to another airport. Definitely not, so if you don't want that, then you have nothing to worry about.

Of course, if you prefer to change to another airport within 300 miles of BUR, assuming the flight you're on is actually so delayed as to cause you to miss the connection, then just call up upon hitting the pavement at DFW (assuming you can't call right now) and change to LAX/ONT/SNA/whatever.

All that aside, unless there's a mechanical reason for the delay (unlikely -- sounds like weather or air traffic control), you're not getting anything in the way of compensation. So you're on your own for the hotel and any miles that you get would be purely gratuitous from complaining on aa.com or whatever (but they don't seem warranted in your case yet). Personally, I'd rather just take the reroute to LAX and pay the Uber than pay for a night in a hotel (which will itself require two annoying shuttles or uber rides unless you stay at the GH or HR).
Old Feb 28, 21, 2:49 pm
was FlyEndeavourAir

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Assuming you are on AA3566 right now connecting to AA2597. 3566 is showing a delayed ETA of 7:03 PM and 2597 is showing an on time departure of 6:51 PM. Maybe they'll hold it but I wouldn't hold my breath, I'm sure AA can accommodate you on a flight tomorrow providing there is room.
Old Feb 28, 21, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
They won't automatically change you from BUR to another airport. Definitely not, so if you don't want that, then you have nothing to worry about.

Of course, if you prefer to change to another airport within 300 miles of BUR, assuming the flight you're on is actually so delayed as to cause you to miss the connection, then just call up upon hitting the pavement at DFW (assuming you can't call right now) and change to LAX/ONT/SNA/whatever.

All that aside, unless there's a mechanical reason for the delay (unlikely -- sounds like weather or air traffic control), you're not getting anything in the way of compensation. So you're on your own for the hotel and any miles that you get would be purely gratuitous from complaining on aa.com or whatever (but they don't seem warranted in your case yet). Personally, I'd rather just take the reroute to LAX and pay the Uber than pay for a night in a hotel (which will itself require two annoying shuttles or uber rides unless you stay at the GH or HR).
Yeh I agree with this. This appears to be weather related in DFW so expect nothing in the way of accommodation. I'd just go to LAX and be done with it..
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
They might if there are no other options to BUR today. Iíve been proactively re-booked by AA to alternate airports before in that situation.

Of course, OP is not obligated to accept a change to destination airport.
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I’m at PNS waiting to takeoff for Dfw. First delay was due to wx now 2nd delay due to traffic so I sit here on the tarmac.

Anyone know when the runway construction will be completed?
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:19 pm
was FlyEndeavourAir

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Iím at PNS waiting to takeoff for Dfw. First delay was due to wx now 2nd delay due to traffic so I sit here on the tarmac.

https://www.cityofirving.org/Documen...ure-Fact-Sheet

Looks like early March with night closures continuing into May.
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:22 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS MVPG 75K, VS Gold, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali View Post
I am flying from GSP to BUR through DFW on AA. I’ve experienced many a delay and situation, but not this one. I’m delayed leaving GSP but we’re all on the plane. Leaving any minute I think. Don’t know why we’re ground stopped.
Seems like weather/construction issue in DFW

Assuming the DFW to BUR flight leaves without me (and I suspect they may be happy it seems oversold too) - I imagine they’ll try to get me to accept the ONE flight to LAX that night for free. Do I have to take it? Burbank is so much easier. If they either compensate me (and don’t give me a hotel) or give me a night at a Hyatt (place is fine) and then a flight tomorrow (ideally evening) I’d be fine with that, rather than going to LAX.
You don't HAVE to take it to LAX and insisting flying into BUR, but since it's weather I would hardly imagine AA to provide any sort of compensation.

Are there any weird fare rules where they can change your end destination for non emergencies even if the two airports are only 20-30 miles apart? BURBANK is sooo much easier. About to take off so hoping for some advice when I land. I suspect we will miss my connecting flight by 10 minutes.
They cannot force you to fly into LAX unless diversion etc, but I wouldn't want to spend a night in DFW either (especially if checked luggage). I've never been into a problem like this, but I assume you could TRY to guilt AA into some miles/eVoucher of goodwill (again, since it's weather AA is not obligated to compensate, and will likely not).
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta, Amtrak
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
DFW has so many runways that even with construction of 36L they can land on 3 runways (as they are doing now with 35 R, 35L, and 31 R arrivals), although it does require much longer taxi times. The runway is scheduled to be opened in "early March 2021" but I don't see a recent update on that.
Old Feb 28, 21, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...

Even the Hyatt Place thatís like a quarter mile away?
Old Feb 28, 21, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Even the Hyatt Place thatís like a quarter mile away?
The Hyatt Place is 3.5 miles from terminal D. (Everything is bigger in Texas.)
jcatman likes this.
Old Feb 28, 21, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Just landed at DFW but we have to taxi slow (on purpose) to our gate - if I could get off the plane now I could get on my correct flight but I fear Iíll just barely not make it by moments. The only direct from here to Burbank is tomorrow at 9 pm! Maybe they could stick me on a diffeeent airline.
Old Feb 28, 21, 6:14 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Don’t make any assumptions, and run to the gate! It’s not unheard of for them to hold a few minutes for late connecting passengers, especially for the last flight of the day to an outstation, Good luck!

And as the others have mentioned, you don’t have to accept LAX, but then you’re at their mercy waiting for a flight to BUR. I’d rather just go to LAX and get home same-day. You might be able to claim expenses on travel insurance.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Feb 28, 21 at 6:21 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: