47 min. connection at SeaTac

Old Feb 28, 21, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

47 min. connection at SeaTac

Trying to see if I should really book this itinerary for Jan 2022:

AA2783 DFW - SEA > (47 mins layover) > AA180 BLR
(Note AA 180 starts service only on Oct. 21, 2021)
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...galore-flight/

Wondering if the 47 mins. layover is cutting it too close? What is the experience with connections at SeaTac?
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For an ordinary flight, I'd say 45 minutes is no problem. I've connected often in SEA...it's a pretty easy airport to navigate.

But connecting to a 1x/day long haul, I'd probably opt for the DFW-SEA flight that is two hours earlier. If you barely misconnect I'm not sure how easy it is to reroute you from SEA at 6PM.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
I don't like 45 minute connections when you're connecting to the last/only flight of the day for the second flight. Take the earlier flight and if you're an Admirals Club member, enjoy an hour extra at the Alaska Board Room. They're nice lounges.
Old Feb 28, 21, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
This is a full year away. There is almost zero chance the timings won’t change. Take whatever flights you like now but they are almost guaranteed to change.
GrumpyYoungMan, Often1, dw and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 21, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
This is a full year away. There is almost zero chance the timings won’t change. Take whatever flights you like now but they are almost guaranteed to change.
This is the right answer. Take the cheapest option now and change to your preferred routing closer in.
Old Feb 28, 21, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Trying to see if I should really book this itinerary for Jan 2022:

AA2783 DFW - SEA > (47 mins layover) > AA180 BLR
(Note AA 180 starts service only on Oct. 21, 2021)
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...galore-flight/

Wondering if the 47 mins. layover is cutting it too close? What is the experience with connections at SeaTac?
I wouldn't book a 47 minute connection for a flight to India which flies once per day, unless that was the only option
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:26 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Two things to consider, less the points about schedule changes and last flight out. AA's domestic gates are at the far end of the D concourse, most likely AA International flights will be out of the S gates, (satellite terminal), that you need to walk all the way across the entire airport and take a train. It's a decent schlep that I wouldn't want to undertake with 45 minutes. Second, winter in Seattle can be unpredictable, with a slight chance of winter weather or at the least fog/low ceilings, which could lead to a delay on inbound either due to flow or ground traffic (since again, the D gates require you to maneuver around the N gates, which is AS's sole satellite terminal) if traffic picks up some more by this point.

Edit: There is now a direct D-A yellow line train, but can't say I've heard/taken it.
rvolkcpa likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Mar 1, 21 at 12:32 am
Old Mar 1, 21, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Here is my thought process:

1) If the 47 minute connection is cheaper, then by all means take it. the flight times will change in the next 11 months.

2) That said, at SEA, I would not book a 47 minute connection. AA's domestic flights leave out of the D concourse. However, a widebody plane won't fit at the D gates. So, AA will likely be using the A concourse or the S concourse for the BLR flight. To get from D to A or S requires at least one (A) or two (S) train rides as well as navigating a few escalators and/or moving sidewalks. I would feel more comfortable with 2 hours quite frankly.
HiAperture and rvolkcpa like this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As others have said if the shorter connection is cheaper for now take it because mostly surely times will change over that length of time. I've noticed that AA will often price a short connection at a cheaper price. As a rule a 47 domestic to International connection with only 1-2 flights a day isn't very advisable.
Old Mar 1, 21, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
...wondering if the 47 mins. layover is cutting it too close?...
We had a tight connection the other day through ORD due to IRROPS and weather. A quick tweet to @AmericanAir, and they alerted the GA's of our connecting flight to ensure we made the connection.
Old Mar 1, 21, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.5 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Many thanks to k374! If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have known that AA decided to go ahead with this new international route. It was originally scheduled to start in October of 2020 but was postponed due to the pandemic. I've got the inaugural flight on Oct. 30th on hold and was able to snag seat 1A. I'll definitely post a trip report.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt View Post
We had a tight connection the other day through ORD due to IRROPS and weather. A quick tweet to @AmericanAir, and they alerted the GA's of our connecting flight to ensure we made the connection.
Good point! The other point is that, if there are many others on the DFW flight connecting to BLR, AA will likely hold the international flight. But this is risky -- just like GlobalMatt's flight could have easily left without then regardless of tweeting.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Here is my thought process:

1) If the 47 minute connection is cheaper, then by all means take it. the flight times will change in the next 11 months.

2) That said, at SEA, I would not book a 47 minute connection. AA's domestic flights leave out of the D concourse. However, a widebody plane won't fit at the D gates. So, AA will likely be using the A concourse or the S concourse for the BLR flight. To get from D to A or S requires at least one (A) or two (S) train rides as well as navigating a few escalators and/or moving sidewalks. I would feel more comfortable with 2 hours quite frankly.
This is accurate I think also as an SEA flyer, no way you are getting off a narrowbody AA flight and going to an adjoining gate as the widebodies don't fit at the main terminal building. Also AA has pushed back that flight launch several times already, so I would be planning alternate ways to get to BLR assuming they continue to push back that route as travel continues to recover slowly.
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm with Finkface. For January 2022 travel, I would not even look at this until November. The route may not even be operational.and there will almost certainly be multiple changes.

I am surprised that this is bookable as the MCT for D-I at SEA is 1:10. In any event, there is no way I would book such a connection to a flight which operates 1x/daily at best, for which there is no great reroute, and where any reroute might involve lousy seats for a very long flight.
Old Mar 1, 21, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the start date for this route is pushed back even more as many are saying international travel won't begin rebounding until 2022.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: