Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby Benefits Real Life Questions - Post COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

I've read a couple of the blogs, and searched this forum for a thread/sticky, but didn't find a clear answer. Does anyone have real life experience using same day standby Gold and above benefits since COVID? To be fair, I have none, pre or post.

Looking to book a last minute LAX-Vegas trip next weekend, for the boyfriends' birthday, of whom I have to pay for EVERYTHING.

American has some 30 dollar flights at 7 am, but the ones in the afternoon do seem nicer for our schedule. But of course they cost 2-3 times more.... times two people. Now this is really nothing, but since I have to pay for him too... I guess I am being cheap? Both the 7 am flight and the afternoon/evening flights seem to be wide open, PLENTY of seats. If I booked the 7 am, can I call up, ask to be "moved" to standby for the later flight, with no change of fare, assuming it stays open? Presumably we will make it unless a real disaster happens, given how empty it is. Is this ethical or frowned upon?

I realize the petty nature of the question and being a cheapskate here, but paying for all of his stuff slowly adds up over time, and I am not even sure he's the one...
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I've read a couple of the blogs, and searched this forum for a thread/sticky, but didn't find a clear answer. Does anyone have real life experience using same day standby Gold and above benefits since COVID? To be fair, I have none, pre or post.

Looking to book a last minute LAX-Vegas trip next weekend, for the boyfriends' birthday, of whom I have to pay for EVERYTHING.

American has some 30 dollar flights at 7 am, but the ones in the afternoon do seem nicer for our schedule. But of course they cost 2-3 times more.... times two people. Now this is really nothing, but since I have to pay for him too... I guess I am being cheap? Both the 7 am flight and the afternoon/evening flights seem to be wide open, PLENTY of seats. If I booked the 7 am, can I call up, ask to be "moved" to standby for the later flight, with no change of fare, assuming it stays open? Presumably we will make it unless a real disaster happens, given how empty it is. Is this ethical or frowned upon?

I realize the petty nature of the question and being a cheapskate here, but paying for all of his stuff slowly adds up over time, and I am not even sure he's the one...
Yes, you can standby for a later flight.
The easy way to do this is from the app or website.

From aa.com.
  • Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only elite status members can standby for a later flight the same day

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 26, 2021 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, you can standby for a later flight.
The easy way to do this is from the app or website.

From aa.com.
  • Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only elite status members can standby for a later flight the same day
I saw that, but how does it work? Say original flight is 7 am, new flight is 4 pm... I make the request the night before... and then don't go to the airport until the afternoon? Say the flight somehow gets full (currently at like 25 percent a few days out)... do you just keep getting pushed to the next flight until they have a space? Do they refund your original morning flight (or flight credit) and tell you to book a new one?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I saw that, but how does it work? Say original flight is 7 am, new flight is 4 pm... I make the request the night before... and then don't go to the airport until the afternoon? Say the flight somehow gets full (currently at like 25 percent a few days out)... do you just keep getting pushed to the next flight until they have a space? Do they refund your original morning flight (or flight credit) and tell you to book a new one?

it is based on 24hrs before departure...of the flight times you would like to standby for. so if its 4pm sunday, you would be able to select to standby at 4pm saturday etc etc.

you can see more detail here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

ps: its quite the opposite of cheap to cover the trip for the bf!
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
There are 2 different threads that relate to this topic:
Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

I'd suggest reading the Wikiposts at the top of both threads to determine which you plan to do. Both threads have been active since COVID took hold (the first has posts in January of this year). We will likely merge this thread into the appropriate one.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
There are 2 different threads that relate to this topic:
Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

I'd suggest reading the Wikiposts at the top of both threads to determine which you plan to do. Both threads have been active since COVID took hold (the first has posts in January of this year). We will likely merge this thread into the appropriate one.
Thank you, that seems fair, I didn't find these, Flyertalk searched populated other airlines results instead.
But I don't see my answer in the Wiki, maybe it's in the 52 pages of replies. Since my standby is AFTER the original flight by like 9 hours, how that works.... didn't see it in the top facts or FAQs.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, that seems fair, I didn't find these, Flyertalk searched populated other airlines results instead.
But I don't see my answer in the Wiki, maybe it's in the 52 pages of replies. Since my standby is AFTER the original flight by like 9 hours, how that works.... didn't see it in the top facts or FAQs.
If you do an, "Advanced Search," and type, "Standby," into the box, select, "thread titles only," you'll find both of these threads in the top 10 results.

The Wikiposts seem to have all of the info that is on the AA page (note any fees are waived for elites):
We now have four convenient options to make same-day flight changes:

1. Online: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, you can request a same-day flight change on aa.com through the check-in window. Just select each passenger who is requesting a flight change and pay the non-refundable $75 per passenger charge.

2. Over the Phone: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, you can call Reservations and our agents will provide information for available flights departing on the same day as your original flight. The non-refundable $75 charge can be paid over the phone via credit card.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can check in for your new flight at Curbside Check-In, Self-Service Check-In, or our ticket counter.

3. At a Check-In Kiosk: Beginning 12 hours prior to departure, the Self-Service Check-In machines will provide a list of available flights for the same day as your original flight. Just choose the flight, pay the non-refundable $75 charge, and complete the check-in process. You will receive a boarding pass for your newly confirmed flight and a receipt for the charge.

4. At the Ticket Counter: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, our agents can provide a list of available flights for the same day as your original flight. Just choose the flight and pay the non-refundable $75 charge. You will receive a boarding pass for your newly confirmed flight and a receipt for the charge.

Same-day flight changes are subject to Terms and Conditions.

Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection®.

*Note: 1.Passengers traveling on unrestricted Y fares and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

If you do an, "Advanced Search," and type, "Standby," into the box, select, "thread titles only," you'll find both of these threads in the top 10 results.

The Wikiposts seem to have all of the info that is on the AA page (note any fees are waived for elites):
Thanks, I guess I searched wrong. I definitely would suggest merging my question (or simply deleting it) into the standby page. I definitely understand same day confirmed. it's standby that confuses me, since AFTER the original. What happens if new plane is full? They keep my money and send me home and say sorry, oh well? I don't SUSPECT that will happen on this route this day, but just in case, and I'd love to know for the future.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:29 pm

Thanks, I guess I searched wrong. I definitely would suggest merging my question (or simply deleting it) into the standby page. I definitely understand same day confirmed. it's standby that confuses me, since AFTER the original. What happens if new plane is full? They keep my money and send me home and say sorry, oh well? I don't SUSPECT that will happen on this route this day, but just in case, and I'd love to know for the future.
Why would you do standby when you can do Same Day Confirmed within 24 hours? You can go to bed the night before knowing that you're confirmed on the preferred flight -v- doing standby on the day.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Why would you do standby when you can do Same Day Confirmed within 24 hours? You can go to bed the night before knowing that you're confirmed on the preferred flight -v- doing standby on the day.
Because I am both overly curious about all of these things (including for future reference or to help other travelers) and because as originally mentioned, I am being cheap, I don't even want to go on the trip but the boyfriend is guilting me into it for his birthday. I've been traveling a lot lately. For a flight to Vegas from LAX, 75 dollars (times two passengers) is a lot. For a flight to London, I wouldn't blink twice. Or is the $75 fee AND the ticket price difference waived for same day confirmed? I am a lowly gold.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Because I am both overly curious about all of these things (including for future reference or to help other travelers) and because as originally mentioned, I am being cheap, I don't even want to go on the trip but the boyfriend is guilting me into it for his birthday. I've been traveling a lot lately. For a flight to Vegas from LAX, 75 dollars (times two passengers) is a lot. For a flight to London, I wouldn't blink twice. Or is the $75 fee AND the ticket price difference waived for same day confirmed? I am a lowly gold.
Same day confirmed is just $75 if it's available, no fare increase. Even though pricey, I would not bet on that being an option on a prime Thursday or Friday flight.

LAX flights to/from LAS are very full right now on AA at peak days/times, so I would not risk standby for a later flight if you have paid for a hotel for that night in Vegas.
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Looking to book a last minute LAX-Vegas trip next weekend...American has some 30 dollar flights at 7 am, but the ones in the afternoon do seem nicer for our schedule. But of course they cost 2-3 times more
I might be missing something, but it seems like you're looking to book LAX-LAS for 3/6? AA only has 3 flights that day - the 7:30am is $30 for BE, and the other two are $39. Where are you seeing a 2-3x differential?
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Same day confirmed is just $75 if it's available, no fare increase. Even though pricey, I would not bet on that being an option on a prime Thursday or Friday flight.

LAX flights to/from LAS are very full right now on AA at peak days/times, so I would not risk standby for a later flight if you have paid for a hotel for that night in Vegas.
That's fine, but any clue what would happen if indeed the afternoon/evening flight did become full?
The planes seem wide open to me based on the seating charts, but perhaps they just have a LOT of unassigned passengers. None the less, no one has managed to answer the original question, lol.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacar
I might be missing something, but it seems like you're looking to book LAX-LAS for 3/6? AA only has 3 flights that day - the 7:30am is $30 for BE, and the other two are $39. Where are you seeing a 2-3x differential?
Preferably Thursday or Friday since his birthday is Saturday, and he has... major OCD issues. I would LOVE to fly there Saturday morning, personally. But alas, this still doesn't get my Q answered lol. The Thursday night flight when I looked (could have changed) was closer to 149, which I couldn't justify knowing a 30 dollar flight was available but at 7 in the morning. Fine with me, his sleep schedule would be ruined for days, at least the entire trip.

EDIT: We would also consider driving but I work from home and sold my car, he just got rear-ended a few days ago and totaled. =P
I'd be ok spending the $149 if I wasn't so "against" going on this trip in the first place... I am exhausted!
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flights are packed. I tried standing by for an earlier flight out of RIC yesterday. Although I was number one on the list I didn't clear, which gave me 2 hours to spend in the very boring RIC airport waiting for my flight. I'd spend the money ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.